Default Mass Turnpike Service Areas

Since I will be taking the turnpike more once I start school again, I wanted to find out what the MSP Troop E and Maintenance People are talking about when they refer to 6AW (what service area is that?) on the radio so I found this list online

http://www.massturnpike.com/travel/centers.html

Mass Turnpike Service Center (AKA rest stop, gas stations, food, etc.) list:

Lee (Eastbound) - 1E
    Lee (Westbound) - 1W
    Blandford (Eastbound) - 2E
    Blandford (Westbound) - 2W
    Ludlow (Eastbound) - 3E
    Ludlow (Westbound) - 4W
    Charlton (Eastbound) - 5E
    Charlton (Westbound) - 6W
    Westborough (Westbound) - 6AW
    Framingham (Westbound) - 7W
    Natick (Eastbound) - 8E

Also MSP Troop E (at least E-2, and E-1, and of course the ext) are totally off of the VHF High Repeater system for day to day police operations, they use the respective E-PTL TGs on the MSP TRS. The Troop E cruisers assigned to those barracks, have MSP TRS Radios, and Turnpike VHF radios for communications with maintenance/admin. units. They no longer have Low-band radios in the MSP Troop E cruisers assigned to that area. The troopers have MSP 800 Mhz Portables.

In the Western Part of the Turnpike (E-3 Westfield) they still use 159.030R, and have VHF Portables. This is repeated statewide on the network of repeaters. Most of the Troop E traffic you hear on 159.030R is from western MA. They also have VHF LoW MSP Mobiles.

I think the Emergency Services (MTA run flat tire, jump start, gas trucks) trucks follow the above system. I have heard the Emergency Service trucks on the MSP Trs Troop E Tgs.
    Last edited by KB1FJR; 03-31-2008 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by KB1FJR View Post
    Also MSP Troop E (at least E-2, and E-1, and of course the ext) are totally off of the VHF High Repeater system for day to day police operations, they use the respective E-PTL TGs on the MSP TRS. The Troop E cruisers assigned to those barracks, have MSP TRS Radios, and Turnpike VHF radios for communications with maintenance/admin. units. They no longer have Low-band radios in the MSP Troop E cruisers assigned to that area. The troopers have MSP 800 Mhz Portables.
    This is completely incorrect information. 159.03 is still used heavily along the Pike including E-1 areas. Any one who travel es the pike from The extension on knows why. Nextell Hell. I live right on the extension and hear activity daily they jump back and fourth all the time. They also almost all have low band radios. They hardly ever use them but they have them. Remember in Eastern Ma most of the low-band radios not on 5 foot whips but base load antennas on the rear deck. So you may be missing them but they have had them since Y2K. None of the Pike had them before that.

Still heavily in use:
    159.03 141.3 Sumner and Callahan Tunnels (now E-PTL-4 35824)
    159.03 82.5 Ted Williams Tunnel (now on E-PTL-4 35824)
    159.03 110.9 Turnpike Extension (some on E-PTL-1 33456 some on E-PTL-4 35824)
    159.03 162.2 Turnpike East (also on E-PTL-1 33456)
    159.225 88.5 Central Ops (also on E-PTL-1 33456)
    159.03 131.8 Turnpike West
    Last edited by ScanBoston; 06-23-2008 at 12:53.

I think that the Pike has a bunch of other 159.x frequencies in use for admin and maintenance use. I had recorded some activity on 159.120 (PL 123.0) and 159.180 (PL 167.9) while travelling to Agawam several times in the last year.

The 10th edition Scanner Master pocket guide has them listed.

Does anyone else still log them?

I started one, hard to keep it updated, but join in on the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by KA8SCP View Post
    I think that the Pike has a bunch of other 159.x frequencies in use for admin and maintenance use. I had recorded some activity on 159.120 (PL 123.0) and 159.180 (PL 167.9) while travelling to Agawam several times in the last year.

The 10th edition Scanner Master pocket guide has them listed.

Does anyone else still log them?
    Bill Dunn N1KUG
    Cruise Ship Frequencies
    http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Your correct about the VHF 159.030 use in the Boston/EXT. area. When the Troop E trooper can't reach the barracks on the Trunk for whatever reason, they grab the GE Radio Mike and start hitting up the turkey call and get through to the barracks that way. I have 2 scanners going in the car. One monitoring the VHF Turnpike System, the other monitoring the Trunk.

I used to monitor the Peter Pan Buses on 452.700, it seems that is inactive (on air and according to the FCC). As late as 2004 I remember hearing them.

I might replace them with 453.000 Sturbridge Service Center.

There is Sturbridge Service Center, Teds and I think GMS that do the areas of the turnpike that I travel (Natick to Auburn) for towing. Also why do the Turnpike Maintenance areas have their own wreckers they patrol around in?

453.0000 IS also Express Towing [Braintree] DPL-? 612? pretty good signal for Both Tow Co's. Don't hear any of the other licensed users

Quote Originally Posted by KB1FJR View Post
    Your correct about the VHF 159.030 use in the Boston/EXT. area. When the Troop E trooper can't reach the barracks on the Trunk for whatever reason, they grab the GE Radio Mike and start hitting up the turkey call and get through to the barracks that way. I have 2 scanners going in the car. One monitoring the VHF Turnpike System, the other monitoring the Trunk.

I used to monitor the Peter Pan Buses on 452.700, it seems that is inactive (on air and according to the FCC). As late as 2004 I remember hearing them.

I might replace them with 453.000 Sturbridge Service Center.

There is Sturbridge Service Center, Teds and I think GMS that do the areas of the turnpike that I travel (Natick to Auburn) for towing. Also why do the Turnpike Maintenance areas have their own wreckers they patrol around in?
    Bill Dunn N1KUG
    Cruise Ship Frequencies
    http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

I know for sure Ted's is strictly Nextel, I thought that GMS lost the contract with the Pike.
    Chuck
    W1CWJ
    WQJY256

They might have lost their contract, haven't heard any mention of them on the air lately.

On the extension it's Perfection out of Watertown. The Pike does it's own thing in the Expressway you'll hear them dispatched on the OCC talkgroup.
    Last edited by ScanBoston; 06-23-2008 at 15:50.

Peter Pan Buses have gone Nextel as well. I was on one a year or so back, and saw the Nextel in the drivers area, no 2 way radio present.

Mark