Skydmark1 Guest

Default Northern NH frequencies?

Hello guys,

New to the forum, but been scanning since I was 16, took a break and now am getting back into it.

Seems as though some of NH is going to a trunked system, and I'm not familiar with it nor does my current scanner support it. However, I know that there's much of NH not using trunking systems. The problem is I'm having a hard time getting much in the way of Frequencies for my area. I've been on RadioReference.com but they don't list a whole lot.

Anyone have some interesting frequencies for Northern NH, particularly the Littleton, NH area??

I like to listen to whatever my scanner will pick up so let's see em!

Have you checked the NH section of the site's Wiki for information? Welcome.
    Scott - Scan New England Webmaster

Skydmark1 Guest

I haven't looked at the NH section of this site, only Radioreference. I'm checking it out now, looks like some stuff that I don't have there. Still seems a bit thin for what I know is out there, was hoping to catch somebody from my area with a list.

Keep in mind also that a LARGE amount of NH Public Safety operate in digital (P-25) mode. An analog scanner will not work for scanning anything digital. Adding trunking capabilities to the mix you would need a newer, updated scanner capable of monitoring both trunking AND digital. Newer models will run you $500. You can still find used ones, especially the Radio Shack Pro 96/2096 models at or under $300. If you are going to make the move, let us know what type (base? handheld?) you like and any special features. We'd be glad to help!
    Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17

Skydmark1 Guest

Fooey, I figuired I'd have to throw down a good chunk of money to listen to anything these days. I'd be looking for a Base unit, 200 channels would be plenty i think, and I'd like to listen to the full range of frequencies 29-1300 mhz. I don't think I need to many special features, I'd like trunking but beyond that I'm not picky. I just want to listen to a broad range of frequencies, emergency, business channels, etc.

Guess I'm a bit behind the times here, been a few years since I've been an avid scanner

Yeah, Northern NH in the Littleton Area is full of P25. No Trunking though. Fire Departments are all analog and 95% of Police Departments including the Sheriff are P25. The Fire Dispatch up there services Northern NH and North Western Vermont. Vermont PDs are Analog UHF so you can listen to that with any radio you want.

The problem with 200 channel scanners today is that they don't have P25 capability, which is a necessary evil in NH nowadays. It's beginning to take hold in many other areas of the country. You do have to shell out some cash to buy quality, but don't scrimp on the antenna, a quarter wave on the car works good, but a good stick up on the roof at home works quite nicely.
    CLYDE - N1BHH - A KNOW-CODE AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR / WQLF416 - GMRS
    Pro94 Pro106 Pro164 Pro197 Pro2006 Pro2015 Pro2021 Pro2055
    Yaesu's FT60R, FT2900R, FT8000R & FT8800R, Icom IC735, Motorola MTX9250 (900 MHz.)

Based on what you need, I'd look for a used Radio Shack Pro 2096. Like I said, these can be found for less than $300.The handheld model, the Pro 96, may be easier to find. www.radioreference.com is a good place to check. Look in the radio equipment for sale forums. Ebay may be an option but you probably will pay more there. If you want to go new, then you have a couple of other options.
    Mark,

Skydmark1 Guest

Ya in the meantime I've done a little research and the models I came up with are the Uniden BC796D, the Uniden BCD996T (probably to pricey for me) The RadioShack Pro-2096, and perhaps the BC296D handheld.

I may post this over in the scanner section and see what I get for input, but my only problem with the Pro-2096 is it's considerably slower scan rate. 60cps as opposed to 100cps on the Unidens (also what my sportcat is) If I'm scanning 200-300 channels, that's a big difference.

My other concern is on the handhelds, I don't mind using a handheld for a base unit, but I've heard problems can arise when using an outdoor antenna. I'm planning on putting up a Centerfire Deluxe Discone.

Any input is appreciated!

~Jason
    Last edited by Skydmark1; 11-27-2008 at 21:17.

The reason I recommend the Radio Shack scanners are due to their superior digital audio. The Unidens just don't make it, IMHO. The Uniden BCD996T comes the closest, but you still have to perform updates to it and tweak it, but even then it falls short of the Radio Shack digital audio. Hopefully others will chime in with some input as well. Also, I have owned most of the above scanners, and currently use a GRE PSR 500 connected to a roof mounted Discone antenna, with no issues.

The Radio Shack scanners (which are made by GRE!) tend to suffer from front end overload on VHF-Hi, which is what you will predominantly be scanning up there. Using the attenuate function on these frequencies will fix this. Simple to do, but a long standing "bug" on these scanners.
    Mark,

Skydmark1 Guest

You don't think the 40 channels per second slower scan rate will be too detrimental? Just seems like I'd miss alot of stuff by the time it got back around. Either way I'll look into all the models and I appreciate all the input so far!

I found the scan rate in both the Pro 96 and 2096 to be more than sufficient. On the other hand, when I owned a BCD996T, it had a TREMENDOUSLY SLOW scan rate! The 60 channels/second rating seems wrong to me.
    Mark,

Skydmark, I live in a very heavy scanner traffic area of Rhode Island, and use a 2096 to monitor a LOT of comms. I find for the heavy traffic we have here, it is well over-sufficent to not miss any communications. The PL decode is quick, (DPL is a little slower), and it has excellent sensitvity. Plus as Mark/SNE Mod said, the digital audio is by far the best on the market.
    http://www.necrat.us/skippy/snesig2.jpg

Talking

I also recommend GRE if digital is your main concern. However I would recommend going with their newer models the PSR-500 or PSR-600. The DPL bug has been fixed and the new memory management and NAC features make it much improved. It also has all sorts of features that make it better for remote control and streaming. Don Starr's software even gives you a remote client that will let you control it anywhere.

Thumbs up

I would also agree with going GRE / Radio Shack! I have always been a Uniden fan and I had two BCD396T units. I never could get them tweeked so that the P25 audio worked right for me. I sold them both and got a new Radio Shack Pro-106. It works fantastic. No problem at all listening to P25. I have never had to change anything as it worked great right out of the box!! I will be buying either the PRO-197 or the PSR-600 next. Just my two cents worth.
    DICK
    -------
    PRO-106
    HomePatrol-1

Quote Originally Posted by Skydmark1 View Post
    I haven't looked at the NH section of this site, only Radioreference. I'm checking it out now, looks like some stuff that I don't have there. Still seems a bit thin for what I know is out there, was hoping to catch somebody from my area with a list.
    This site is probably the most updated site of all sites out there for Northern NH information. NNH has always been "Dark Territory" for scanning until recently, when a gentleman from Berlin added a significant amount of information.

Currently, the premiere scanner out there seems to be the GRE models (not the Radio Shack GRE models). I think the PSR500 and/or 600? It is a mix of the traditional style of scanners (going through channels in order, etc) and the newer concepts similar to the Uniden BCD396T and 996 (Zone/Bank Sampling w/dynamic, not fixed channel banks). As said previously, NH has become a P25 state w/almost all Law Enforcement either full ot part-time digital. Some FD's have gone too (Lebanon and Hudson being the most prevalent), but are predominantly analog. Trunking is almost non-existent in NH and as long as VHF High-Band (136-174) remains the band of choice for NH, trunking isn't likely to happen.

There is also additional information passed around frequently on the "newhampshirescanner" Yahoo Group. Admittedly though, most of the posters are from Southern & central NH. Again, a sign of the "Dark Territory" that is the North Country.

Enjoy getting back into the hobby. A lot has changed in NH over the last few years. But catching up isn't too hard.
    John Marcel
    K1FDD/WPXA902
    Concord, NH Fire Alarm

"KNDS884" NH's northern-most fire/ems repeater covering Pittsburg, Stewartstown, Colebrook and other northern "snowmobile country" towns 153.755 pl 71.9 rx
    Colebrook and Pittsburg PDs 155.865 pl 136.5 and NAC 117 rx (Pittsburg PD has repeater on Holden, Colebrook is simplex in town)