Thread: Airspy SDR

Default Airspy SDR

We have mentioned the forthcoming Airspy SDR, which while based on the RTL dongles we love so much, is a much more robust receiver capable of displaying 10 MHz of spectrum simultaneously anywhere between 24-1750 MHz. There is more information now available at http://www.airspy.com . Register if you are interested, please, as the more people that express an interest in purchasing there are the less expensive the device may be. As it stands now the target range for pricing is between $99 and $149.

Apparently preliminary testing by the beta team has yielded amazingly good results, with reportedly 8 MHz of spectrum being alias and image free, which is an inherent problem with SDR's given their lack of front end filtering. I'm sure everyone's mileage will vary with this given so many different types of RF environments, but it is encouraging. The person taking the lead in this project is also the author of SDRSharp, incidentally.

This will be a USB 2.0 device and will run "out of the box" with SDRSharp software. I expect it'll run with SDR-Radio as well and it's all ready to go with gnuradio, gqrx, osmocom-sdr, etc. in Linux.

If you're interested, please register and let them know! Thanks.
    Scott - Scan New England Webmaster

I've been holding out for a HackRF but I'd grab one of these to play with.

Has anyone received any communications after registering? They said they'd be ready in a month back in March.
    Luie
    Capital Region, CT

These small market products seem in general to take a lot longer than they're reported to. I know from following their Twitter feed that it is "close". But that said no timeframe. It was suggested in another forum that projects like this in general are not attractive to the companies that manufacture components because the volume of components is initially a lot lower than the larger electronics etc. companies they're dealing with. Apparently if this is correct information it causes such projects to be "back burnered" by the big guys in favor of other big guys.

Case and point, I waited nearly 6 months to get Nuand's XB-200 HF/VHF transverter for my bladeRF. It seems to have been worth the wait though as preliminary performance seems excellent. Many people have been waiting for the HackRF for over a year. It is close to shipping finally. I have one on order as well and I've only been waiting since late June. I'll order an Airspy as well as it will serve well as a portable SDR whereas the other two are better suited to stay home, especially the BladeRF which still does not have a proper case to house both the main board and the transverter.

Meant to provide an update. As of 8/2 they are close to the first 500 being available. I think I'm somewhere within the first 500 that expressed interest so I'll keep you posted. Announcement was made on http://www.airspy.com .

I should be somewhere in there too.
    I'll post if I get a notice.

Jon

Pre-orders for the Airspy are now being taken at the iTead Studios website. The final cost is $199, shipping options are either $3 for registered mail or $26 for DHL. I stumbled on it this morning during a check of the iTead website, and about an hour after that the "official" announcement was made. I placed the 37th order for one. They are slated to be shipped in mid-November and of course will be out-of-the-box compatible with SDR#, with support from SDR-Console and hopefully UniTrunker forthcoming.