Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation 2016 Amateur Radio Roll Call

OK, so I'm having a little re-invigoration regarding ham radio after my discovery of DMR. I'm also possibly on the verge of entering the DStar world, something I said I'd never do years ago, but current research of the system and capabilities of modern transceivers leads me to believe it might be a cool thing to do. Icom used to be the only game in town when I did my griping (search DStar here and find my 2006-2007 rants) but now we have dongles, other dongles, maybe Connect Systems, and even Kenwood apparently entering the game. I'm on the verge of an ID-51A Plus handheld, and will make my decision shortly.

The method of my madness for this post? Given the capabilities of DStar and DMR, and of course the analog networking available through EchoLink etc., I thought it would be neat to establish a database of sorts of hams that frequent this website. I figure there could be some interesting communications between us pertinent to the radio hobby, DX'ing, and so on.

With that in mind, if you care to, please respond here with your callsign, capabilities whether they are digital and/or analog, DMR ID number, what repeater or reflector you hang out on on DStar, etc.. I'm going to build a Wiki page with this info, which if enough people contribute will be an ongoing work in progress and maybe a semi-good reference to chit chat about topics here or anything in general.

As far as my equipment goes, DMR capability using a Connect Systems CS801 and a CS751. I also have a Tytera MD-380 but thus far just for receive. I also have a Motorola Radius GM300 that I've used for 2M analog but it's not currently in use. My HF endeavors at this house have been a disaster, and I'm not active there at this time for anything other than receive.

Edit: Also have some 900 MHz equipment but needs a codeplug update. I MAY finally make it to Nearfest this spring, so I'll bring it if so in the hopes that the guys at the GEMOTO tent will be kind and zap it.
    Last edited by Scott SNE Webmaster; 02-22-2016 at 20:20.
    Scott - Scan New England Webmaster

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scott, well here is my info:

WB1FBP Member of SEMARA in New Bedford area, monitor 147.000, 224.800, 927.8375 which are SEMARA repeaters. All of my VHF / UHF work is analog. My activity here is minimum at this time. I'm also on HF and have digital capability on that end of the spectrum. Digital modes there are PSK31, RTTY, and of course CW. I do quite a bit of utility monitoring in my spare time on HF as well as public service, military, marine, and aviation with the scanner. Hope this helps. Scott Jenney

Downloads
    Uploads

N1KUG - trustee for the MMRA.org Quincy 220 Machine

entirely Portable Ops - 6m, 2m, 220, 440 (FM) and VHF/UHF P25
    Have a 900 (FM) floating around somewhere, me thinks it needs voltage

http://www.near-fest.com:8084/nearfest/ April 29/30
    A Nearfest Sighting ? Off da-Cape ?
    Bill Dunn N1KUG
    Cruise Ship Frequencies
    http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Downloads
    Uploads

KB1KVD. Secretary of the PAWA (Pilgrim Amateur Wireless Association). I operate primarily on HF (10 & 40 meters) and on VHF/UHF NXDN on 145.280/ 449.9875 in West Bridgewater. Occasionally I can be heard on other VHF/UHF machines in the area and some mornings on the Quincy GMRS. My equipment consist of a healthy mix of tube and modern solid state equipment. I have for hf a Collins KWM-2, Kenwood T-599/R-599, Swan 500CX, Lafayette HA-460, Icom IC-7000, and Kenwood TS-590SG. VHF/UHF I have mostly commercial gear such as Astro Spectras, Icom F3161/F3261/F5061/F4161, Motorola XTL2500's in UHF and 900, EF Johnson 5100's, Astro Sabers and a small fleet of HT1000's as throw down radios.
    Jason,KB1KVD/WQQQ874/C&S R103
    Radio Maintainer Out....

Downloads
    Uploads

KD1EMS-Attleboro. Never really did anything with the license. I have a bunch of gear, can transmit on 6m through 33cm, but I think I may have a total of 10 contacts in 17+ years. I've got some UHF P25 gear, but other than that, I'm waiting on Connect Systems or someone else to come out with a true multiple digital mode radio before committing. I'd like to dedicate some more time to it, but something else always seems to come up.
    Ed Burke
    Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
    Boston Citywide Fire Radio Car 173
    Providence Citywide Car 173
    KD1EMS WQRD823

Downloads
    Uploads

DC to light...almost, 160 meters through 23 centimeters except 6 meters. HF mainly, SSB, CW (40 WPM), PSK-31, WSPR (amazing DX at 5 watts), JT-65HF. Favorite CW DX band 30 meters. Newest toy for HF, SB-200, usually run at a cool 500 watts. I've got 160 meter dipole improvement to do, one leg is near ground level, the OCFD is at a nice height 45 feet...

My FT-8800R sits on W1SSH most of the time.
    CLYDE - N1BHH - A KNOW-CODE AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR / WQWJ272 - GMRS
    Pro94 Pro106 Pro164 Pro197 Pro2006 Pro2015 Pro2021 Pro2055
    Yaesu's FT60R, FT2900R & FT8800R, Icom IC735, Motorola MTX9250 (900 MHz.)

Downloads
    Uploads

K1BOS here...

Listed in order of usage:
    900 MHz Framingham and NEAR 900 net
    440MHz Analog Waltham and P25 Westborough
    220 MHz Framingham most often
    2m DMR MARC MA Talkgroup Malden, Southborough and P25

I had two Dstar radios and finally got rid of the last one. My least favorite digital mode. Audio so bad that it sounds like nails on a chalkboard with tones of digital break up. To me P25 works the best both range and smooth decoded audio with lost of voice recognition. I'd say NXDN and Fusion rank second and third in great decoded audio. DMR's audio is actually pretty harsh itself but it does have enough range that you can usually recognize voices. The thing that makes DMR stick out is the almost seamless networking that works perfectly without the operator noticing a thing. You just change channels and the network talk group architecture does all the work connecting you to the folks you want to talk with. MARC has grown so big that the number of talkgroups have split folks up so much that it's actually pretty quiet now on the local talkgroups. This wasn't true a couple of years ago. DStar may be the most common ham digital format but it really is the worst. The codec is just a mess. Decoded audio sounds so harsh and brittle that it is a strain to listen too. You can have a long conversation with a lifelong friend and not recognize his voice at all. Digital break up is so common place that it's almost expected. And the cheap Icom radios that make up even the repeater infrastructure have such poor selectivity that anything can cause break up. And I was never able to figure out the network structure perhaps just didn't put in the time as I was always turning down that horrible sound.

In my area (Boston Metro) the analog repeaters are still king. 900 Framingham, 440 Waltham, 220 Framingham hold most my crowd. Many of us dabble in DMR and P25 but if for daily chatting the first three is your best option to find us. Seems like folks in NH are more heavily into the DMR. South Shore kids are all over VHF NXDN and analog but also big into 900. And Worcester area folks on the VHF MMRA Marlborough machine and Paxton.

That's what I see...

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting comments John. I have never listened to DStar through a DStar radio! However I have listened to it through DSD+ and quite honestly I didn't find it nearly as bad as you state. I think it likely comes down to the individual's ear. For example, I had a simplex chat on DMR Sunday night with someone in this area and the clarity was superb. I find DMR audio to be quite good overall. I've heard plenty of P25 and NXDN as well. To my untrained ear none are too far off from the other, but that's just me. I don't want to get off on a which mode is better thread as this one's intent was to gather info for hams that use SNE. Maybe we can start a "this sucks and here's why" thread as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a first draft page for a database that users could access for info as to how to contact other members via amateur radio. If you're interested please include this data in this thread and I'll add it to the page. Of special interest is DMR and DStar due to the routing capabilities of each protocol.

http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?ti...rator_Database

Downloads
    Uploads

KB1VLA at your service... not active on any bands below 144 MHz presently (just a tech), I do have a Yaesu FT920 for when that day come (AKA when I can get a decent antenna in the air)... mostly monitor Epsom or Deerfield UHF, on 2m I monitor Deerfield (147.000 and 146.700), Alton or Kensington. I've also got a CS751 for DMR.
    Jacob
    KB1VLA

Downloads
    Uploads

Call KB1KVD, First Name: Jason, Town: Brockton,Ma,P25 146.640 Waltham, NXDN: 145.280 West Bridgewater RAN 1 Talkgroup 25000, VHF/UHF 146.520 simplex and 446.000 simplex, HF:28.507, 28.375 and 7.190.
    Jason,KB1KVD/WQQQ874/C&S R103
    Radio Maintainer Out....

Downloads
    Uploads

W1JFR- John in Walpole, MA
    I have all digital voice modes except P25.
    Trustee/Owner- W1JFR DMR repeater (currently low power, finally have NESMC freq coordination so it will transition to the tower site in the next few months)
    Very fortunate that we have D-Star (WA1PLE-B 446.4375-), Fusion (W1ZSA 448.975- AMS), and DMR (W1JFR- 145.38-) right here in town, as well as analog (K1HRV 146.895-) and decent signal from the nearest NXDN machines.

Additional equipment:
    Icom IC-7000 with Signalink for HF and HF digital modes.
    DV-MEGA in a HPS D-HAP for D-Star
    DV4-MINI for D*, DMR, Fusion, P25 (great little stick for $130!)

-JR
    Last edited by JFR; 03-25-2016 at 09:43.