Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,335
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    2

    Default Boston Marathon 2017

    Everything in Copley Square seems to be going up a few days early this year I'm guessing it's so some of the crews can get Easter off? I'm sure patching and testing will be going on shortly. Probably all the usual channels with heavy use of the national LE, UTACS,VTACS 8TACS etc. along with all the MSP SOPS and Event channels. Most the rental radios for the volunteers and BAA folks the last few years have been DMR radios from DC Rentals which is an arm of ALLCOMM communications in Revere. While I'm writing this testing has just started from MAC control on 470.7375R 131.8 BAPERN West. Post what you find folks and something that seems to have been lost the last few years is Total RF setting up the camera pool. I'm sure they are still out there probably somewhere on DMR.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lowell MA
    Posts
    140
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    MSP helicopter testing for the marathon on Events-3 this afternoon.
    Mark

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,335
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    2

    Default

    Well I don't have a DMR scanner yet but the ScanBoston Boston Area scanner is set up for all the usual Marathon Players at http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/6254/web

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,016
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Boston PD Channel 1 is patched to BAPERN North District (470.4875). I know a lot of channels are patched together, but this is the first time I've heard this specific channel patched in. As usual, BPD Federal Interop is patched in. I'm sure that there is a MSP Talk Group as well, but I haven't heard it as of yet.

    TG 12289 popped up on Zone 1. I know that's a patch, but from and to what, I don't know. Talk was of Cataldo Ambulance doing something in Newton. I take that to be race related as well.

    Boston EMS was conducting operations on Tac 3. (462.950).

    Operations along the earlier portions of the route are winding down as runners clear those parts. By now, most of the runners should be within the last few miles of the route. Except of course for some of the "cause" and charity runners. And, the Elvis, Napolean, hamburger, big red Solo cup, and other runners. I'd expect a Trump or two in the mix as well.
    We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    5,074
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    BPD 1 patched with BAPERN 2N and Bostons VHF Federal Interop 158.9100 Only, no MSP Patch on this Tactical Network




    Quote Originally Posted by garys View Post
    Boston PD Channel 1 is patched to BAPERN North District (470.4875). I know a lot of channels are patched together, but this is the first time I've heard this specific channel patched in. As usual, BPD Federal Interop is patched in. I'm sure that there is a MSP Talk Group as well, but I haven't heard it as of yet.

    TG 12289 popped up on Zone 1. I know that's a patch, but from and to what, I don't know. Talk was of Cataldo Ambulance doing something in Newton. I take that to be race related as well.

    Boston EMS was conducting operations on Tac 3. (462.950).

    Operations along the earlier portions of the route are winding down as runners clear those parts. By now, most of the runners should be within the last few miles of the route. Except of course for some of the "cause" and charity runners. And, the Elvis, Napolean, hamburger, big red Solo cup, and other runners. I'd expect a Trump or two in the mix as well.
    Bill Dunn N1KUG
    Cruise Ship Frequencies
    http://scanmaritime.com

    "The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,016
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    ETA: All Comm TG 218 just signed off as medical, so apparently there is still some use of it for medical coordination.

    I wonder if that patch I heard on Zone 1 is related to the change from All Comm to the MSP system for Medical A, B, & C?
    It's a bit odd that the MSP wouldn't have anything patched to Channel 1. Although, they might do it through the UCC and their role in Boston itself is limited mostly to Charlesgate/Park Drive and a few other spots.
    Last edited by garys; 04-17-2017 at 17:40.
    We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    5,074
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    MED-A-B-C/D all on the Commonwealths Trunk
    A - Analog
    B and C/D - P25
    Strike Teams - Analog

    Emergency Call In and Medical Coordination all on the DMR
    Quote Originally Posted by garys View Post
    ETA: All Comm TG 218 just signed off as medical, so apparently there is still some use of it for medical coordination.

    I wonder if that patch I heard on Zone 1 is related to the change from All Comm to the MSP system for Medical A, B, & C?
    It's a bit odd that the MSP wouldn't have anything patched to Channel 1. Although, they might do it through the UCC and their role in Boston itself is limited mostly to Charlesgate/Park Drive and a few other spots.
    Bill Dunn N1KUG
    Cruise Ship Frequencies
    http://scanmaritime.com

    "The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lowell MA
    Posts
    140
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I did hear a little medical traffic on the All Comm TG 218. The runners/wheelchair racers talkgroups, the various bus talk groups and the ops talkgroup seemed to be the most active on the All Comm system.
    After I picked up the last of my MP's on Beacon St. to transport back to Brookline PD for dismissal, I had to continue down Beacon through Kenmore Square to Mass Ave. I did see several MSP troopers stationed at Park Drive, Charlesgate, and by the underpass the runners used to go under Mass Ave.
    Running search in the TRX 1, found some media DMR
    455.9875 slot 1 color 5 TG 1800-TV audio, possibly NBC Sports Network (national broadcast).
    453.450, 453.4875, 455.825, 459.7125 all slot 1 color 11 TG 1100- TV production cues (camera shot calls, updates for on air talent to report), same traffic on all 3 freq.
    455.8950 slot 1 color 7 WBZ TV audio.
    Mark
    Last edited by MASSBUSMARK; 04-17-2017 at 21:17.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lynn, Essex Co.
    Posts
    933
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Hello,

    I still have to go through my notes, but "Medical Resupply" used the Medical Admin talkgroup on DMR this year. The Transaction talkgroup was active toward the late afternoon into the evening as they closed up the stations along the route and recovered the deployed equipment. I wonder if the stations are located about every mile and numbered based on the mile.

    It appears that Medical is split into 4 zones with A being at the Hopkinton end and D being at the Boston end. I would think that it would be more or less evenly split at 6.5 miles each, but it maybe based on town boundaries. That would make Zone A as Hopkinton, Ashland, and Framingham. Zone B would be Natick and Wellesley. Zone C would be Newton. Zone D would be Brookline/Boston.

    I heard some channels like "Expo" called out that I suspect are either DMR simplex or conventional DMR repeater. There appears to be three zones with zone 1 being Finish and Busing (Boston), zone 2 being Course (Waltham), and zone 3 being Start (Hopkinton).

    I had no problems listening to the Hopkinton site with my discone on the roof over here on the North Shore. It is great that more listeners have DMR capability this year.

    Hopkinton Linked Capacity Plus
    Site 1 (No adjacent sites)
    453.0125 Color Code 15 Channels 1/2
    451.5000 Color Code 15 Channels 3/4

    216 Medical Division A (confirmed 2017)
    251 Start Line (confirmed 2016)
    252 Start Area (confirmed 2017)
    253 HOP Busing (confirmed 2017)
    254 Repeat Park HSP (confirmed 2016)


    Waltham Linked Capacity Plus
    Site 1 (No adjacent sites)
    471.2125 Color Code 1 Ch 1/2
    471.9375 Color Code 1 Ch 3/4
    472.9375 Color Code 1 Ch 5/6

    218 Medical Division C (confirmed 2017)
    219 Medical Division B (confirmed 2017)
    224 Lead Vehicles (confirmed 2017)
    225 Elite Fluids (confirmed 2017)
    226 Mens Press (confirmed 2017)
    227 Womens Press (confirmed 2017)
    228 Mens WC Press (confirmed 2017)
    229 Womens WC Press (confirmed 2017)
    230 Transaction (confirmed 2017)


    Boston Capacity Plus
    451.7000 Color Code 13 Ch 1/2
    461.6750 Color Code 13 Ch 3/4
    463.5500 Color Code 13 Ch 5/6

    215 Medical Admin (Confirmed 2017) Channel 2
    220 Ops (confirmed 2017) Channel 1
    221 Emergency Call-In (confirmed 2017)
    222 Medical Division D (confirmed 2017)
    231 Talkaround (confirmed 2016)
    232 Boston Busing (confirmed 2017) Channel 12
    233 Cavalier Busing Channel 13

    73 Eric

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    5,074
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Altho not out of the question, but only in a rare situation would you find regular Part 74 licenses using Part 90 Channels.
    I would venture overload of the Scanner caused the 453.xxxx and 459.xxxx interference.
    Quote Originally Posted by MASSBUSMARK View Post
    I did hear a little medical traffic on the All Comm TG 218. The runners/wheelchair racers talkgroups, the various bus talk groups and the ops talkgroup seemed to be the most active on the All Comm system.
    After I picked up the last of my MP's on Beacon St. to transport back to Brookline PD for dismissal, I had to continue down Beacon through Kenmore Square to Mass Ave. I did see several MSP troopers stationed at Park Drive, Charlesgate, and by the underpass the runners used to go under Mass Ave.
    Running search in the TRX 1, found some media DMR
    455.9875 slot 1 color 5 TG 1800-TV audio, possibly NBC Sports Network (national broadcast).
    453.450, 453.4875, 455.825, 459.7125 all slot 1 color 11 TG 1100- TV production cues (camera shot calls, updates for on air talent to report), same traffic on all 3 freq.
    455.8950 slot 1 color 7 WBZ TV audio.
    Mark
    Bill Dunn N1KUG
    Cruise Ship Frequencies
    http://scanmaritime.com

    "The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,016
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Thank you, Eric. I was also pleasantly surprised that I could hear Hopkington pretty clearly in Stoughton. I was using the RS version of the ST-2, which is still a great design. Sadly, not longer available.

    I also spent some time the other day looking at FCC licenses for All Comm/DC Rentals. When I have a minute, I'll separate out the Georgetown and (I think) Saugus licenses. I probably won't be able to hear those, but you or others up that way might. I'll post those in the appropriate thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by wb1hbu View Post
    Hello,

    I still have to go through my notes, but "Medical Resupply" used the Medical Admin talkgroup on DMR this year. The Transaction talkgroup was active toward the late afternoon into the evening as they closed up the stations along the route and recovered the deployed equipment. I wonder if the stations are located about every mile and numbered based on the mile.

    It appears that Medical is split into 4 zones with A being at the Hopkinton end and D being at the Boston end. I would think that it would be more or less evenly split at 6.5 miles each, but it maybe based on town boundaries. That would make Zone A as Hopkinton, Ashland, and Framingham. Zone B would be Natick and Wellesley. Zone C would be Newton. Zone D would be Brookline/Boston.

    I heard some channels like "Expo" called out that I suspect are either DMR simplex or conventional DMR repeater. There appears to be three zones with zone 1 being Finish and Busing (Boston), zone 2 being Course (Waltham), and zone 3 being Start (Hopkinton).

    I had no problems listening to the Hopkinton site with my discone on the roof over here on the North Shore. It is great that more listeners have DMR capability this year.

    Hopkinton Linked Capacity Plus
    Site 1 (No adjacent sites)
    453.0125 Color Code 15 Channels 1/2
    451.5000 Color Code 15 Channels 3/4

    216 Medical Division A (confirmed 2017)
    251 Start Line (confirmed 2016)
    252 Start Area (confirmed 2017)
    253 HOP Busing (confirmed 2017)
    254 Repeat Park HSP (confirmed 2016)


    Waltham Linked Capacity Plus
    Site 1 (No adjacent sites)
    471.2125 Color Code 1 Ch 1/2
    471.9375 Color Code 1 Ch 3/4
    472.9375 Color Code 1 Ch 5/6

    218 Medical Division C (confirmed 2017)
    219 Medical Division B (confirmed 2017)
    224 Lead Vehicles (confirmed 2017)
    225 Elite Fluids (confirmed 2017)
    226 Mens Press (confirmed 2017)
    227 Womens Press (confirmed 2017)
    228 Mens WC Press (confirmed 2017)
    229 Womens WC Press (confirmed 2017)
    230 Transaction (confirmed 2017)


    Boston Capacity Plus
    451.7000 Color Code 13 Ch 1/2
    461.6750 Color Code 13 Ch 3/4
    463.5500 Color Code 13 Ch 5/6

    215 Medical Admin (Confirmed 2017) Channel 2
    220 Ops (confirmed 2017) Channel 1
    221 Emergency Call-In (confirmed 2017)
    222 Medical Division D (confirmed 2017)
    231 Talkaround (confirmed 2016)
    232 Boston Busing (confirmed 2017) Channel 12
    233 Cavalier Busing Channel 13

    73 Eric
    We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lynn, Essex Co.
    Posts
    933
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Hello,

    Looking over my notes I noticed the numbering on the Medical Div channels went up to 26. There was a 26 Base and 26 East on Division D. So it is reasonable to think the numbering is based on Mile Markers.

    Division A covered "Medical Tents 1 through 4".

    Division B covered "Medical 11", "15", and "Station 16". Mile Marker 15 was mentioned.

    Division C covered "Station 16", "17", "18", and "Station 20". Mile Marker 16 looks like it is on the Wellesley/Newton border.

    Division D covered "Medical Tent 25", "25 East","26 Base", and "Medical 26 East"

    So it looks reasonable that the divisions are divided up by towns.

    73 Eric

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,335
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    2

    Default

    If anyone else wants to add anything else they heard maybe we can make a Boston Marathon part of the Wiki. If there are any hams that have lists perhaps you could upload those too?? Much of this stuff satys pretty similar year after year but it's easier to set up to listen before the event if you have last years data to start from.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,016
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    That's a great idea, John.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScanBoston View Post
    If anyone else wants to add anything else they heard maybe we can make a Boston Marathon part of the Wiki. If there are any hams that have lists perhaps you could upload those too?? Much of this stuff satys pretty similar year after year but it's easier to set up to listen before the event if you have last years data to start from.
    We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    560
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    The ham stuff is available at hamradioboston.org. Lots of good background info there

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7f...YzQUhPU28/view
    Ed Burke
    Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
    Boston Citywide Fire Radio Car 173
    Providence Citywide Car 173
    KD1EMS WQRD823

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penacook, NH
    Posts
    298
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wb1hbu View Post
    Hello,

    Looking over my notes I noticed the numbering on the Medical Div channels went up to 26. There was a 26 Base and 26 East on Division D. So it is reasonable to think the numbering is based on Mile Markers.

    Division A covered "Medical Tents 1 through 4".

    Division B covered "Medical 11", "15", and "Station 16". Mile Marker 15 was mentioned.

    Division C covered "Station 16", "17", "18", and "Station 20". Mile Marker 16 looks like it is on the Wellesley/Newton border.

    Division D covered "Medical Tent 25", "25 East","26 Base", and "Medical 26 East"

    So it looks reasonable that the divisions are divided up by towns.

    73 Eric
    The Medical Stations are in numeric order and do not match mile markers. I think some areas may have more than one station within a mile. The Hydration Stations are based on Mile Markers.

    Not sure how the divisions were separated. But for reference, Medical Station 21 was in Division D.
    John Marcel
    K1FDD/WPXA902
    Concord, NH Fire Alarm

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lynn, Essex Co.
    Posts
    933
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Hello,

    Thanks. It would make sense to have more medical toward the end of the course or in more difficult parts. A 2015 document has Tent 5 in Natick, Tents 6 - 9 in Wellesley, Tents 10 - 17 in Newton, Tents 19 - 20 in Brighton Tents, 21 - 24 in Brookline, and Tents 25 - 26 in Boston. There are also two finish line tents for a total of 28.
    http://blog.mass.gov/publichealth/wp...n-Briefing.pdf
    http://blog.mass.gov/publichealth/wp...pdate-2015.pdf

    Interesting video about the Medical Tents.
    http://womensrunning.competitor.com/...al-tents_74095

    73 Eric

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,335
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    2

    Default

    Eric I'll send you all my stuff tomorrow.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    560
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    This channel plan indicates where the medical tents are in relation to the hydration stations.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7f...hRa2FZcWs/view
    Ed Burke
    Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
    Boston Citywide Fire Radio Car 173
    Providence Citywide Car 173
    KD1EMS WQRD823

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2016, 03:21
  2. Boston Marathon 2014
    By ScanBoston in forum Eastern Massachusetts
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 21:16
  3. Boston Marathon
    By IggyWFD in forum Scanning Miscellaneous
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 20:42
  4. 2007 Boston Marathon
    By ScanBoston in forum Eastern Massachusetts
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 17:31
  5. Boston Marathon 06
    By ScanBoston in forum Eastern Massachusetts
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-17-2006, 13:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •