Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mag Mount antenna

I have a 5/8 wave VHF nmo antenna mounted onto a nmo MAG mount. The antenna is sitting on a 6.5 inch x 9.5 inch piece of Steel that is mounted to a table in front of a window in my house. The antenna is hooked up to my scanner and is used for receive only. My question is do I have an adequate ground plane, or should I be using a larger piece of Steel to receive better reception?

I previously had the antenna sitting directly on top of the scanner, when I moved it to the piece of Steel I noticed a dramatic increase in receive capabilities

At this point an outdoor antenna is not an option. So I'm just trying to get the most I can out of my current equipment

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I have a 5/8 wave VHF nmo antenna mounted onto a nmo MAG mount. The antenna is sitting on a 6.5 inch x 9.5 inch piece of Steel that is mounted to a table in front of a window in my house. The antenna is hooked up to my scanner and is used for receive only. My question is do I have an adequate ground plane, or should I be using a larger piece of Steel to receive better reception?

I previously had the antenna sitting directly on top of the scanner, when I moved it to the piece of Steel I noticed a dramatic increase in receive capabilities

At this point an outdoor antenna is not an option. So I'm just trying to get the most I can out of my current equipment
    The 'correct' ground plane is at least a quarter wavelength in all directions, at 155 MHz that's 18 inches. BUT, for receive only, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference. I have a 1/4 wave VHF nmo'd on the trunk of my car, and there's only about 6" of trunk between the antenna and the edge of the trunk. For me, it works just fine.
    Jacob
    KB1VLA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the information, you reallh don't think I would see better reception by going to a larger size plate of Steel?

Downloads
    Uploads

I would say probably not; there's only so much an indoor antenna can do.
    If you're up for home brewing, a VHF j-pole requires no ground plane and is fairly easy to construct yourself. I have a VHF j-pole connected to a 2m radio in my 2nd floor bedroom (I also cannot have any outdoor antennas where I'm at right now), and I'm very happy with it.
    Jacob
    KB1VLA

Downloads
    Uploads

How would I go about making something like that

Downloads
    Uploads

If you Google "VHF J-pole plans" or something similar, you will find folks that can explain it better than I
    Jacob
    KB1VLA