VHF/UHF Unication G3!

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!

n1zyy

VHF/UHF Unication G3!

#1 Post by n1zyy » 09 Apr 2019 21:38

It was apparently announced about a month ago, but I just learned this weekend that Unication has finally created a VHF+UHF version of their G5 scanner, the Unication G3. (There's also a G2, which is single-band VHF or UHF.) https://www.unicationusa.com/post/new-product

From what I've read, they're virtually identical to the G5 in appearance / hardware / firmware / price, just with different bands. And they're not shipping yet. But VHF/UHF is more useful to me than UHF/800 or VHF/800, so this is exciting for me. It's not strictly a scanner, but they're supposed to be excellent with LSM (not a problem I have) and pretty sensitive.
Matt
Lowell, MA

ErrolW

Re: VHF/UHF Unication G3!

#2 Post by ErrolW » 12 Apr 2019 07:46

I'm pretty interested in a G3. The key will be which band allows use of an external antenna and how good reception is with the internal antenna on the other band.
One podcast from East Coast Pagers claims the external antenna is for UHF. This is really unfortunate for those of us trying to monitor NH state police, MSCOMMNET, and the most common NH/ME fire frequencies.

Publicly released prices are $660 on G3, although I am told they may take a price increase shortly (if not already). Guessing some dealers will do a little better on price but won't be able to publicly announce b/c of manufacturer MAP agreements.
Errol
Framingham, MA
Pittsburg, NH

schwab

#3 Post by schwab » 12 Apr 2019 08:48

I believe the Unication pagers have SMA antenna connectors, so you should be able to swap the UHF antenna for a VHF one.
Jacob
KB1VLA

ErrolW

#4 Post by ErrolW » 12 Apr 2019 09:31

At least with the G5 the issue is not just swapping the antenna.
The UHF or VHF receiver has no connection to the external antenna (also no connection to antenna connector on amplified base).
Errol
Framingham, MA
Pittsburg, NH

Citywide 173

#5 Post by Citywide 173 » 12 Apr 2019 15:06

According to a post on Facebook by Ray of Ray's pager sales, the external antenna will be UHF and the internal VHF
Ed Burke
Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
KD1EMS WQRD823

ErrolW

#6 Post by ErrolW » 13 Apr 2019 07:52

I suspect East Coast and Ray's are correct as they move a lot of Unication product.

Really too bad. I am highly skeptical an internal antenna will be sufficient in the mountains. Even issued Moto radios struggle in a lot of spots.
Errol
Framingham, MA
Pittsburg, NH

n1zyy

#7 Post by n1zyy » 13 Apr 2019 22:48

ErrolW wrote:
12 Apr 2019 09:31
At least with the G5 the issue is not just swapping the antenna.
The UHF or VHF receiver has no connection to the external antenna (also no connection to antenna connector on amplified base).
Oh, gross. I had naively assumed both antennas would be accessible through that connector.

I don't recall the source, but I had read the same thing others have reported -- the G3 will have the VHF antenna internal, and UHF external. In my case, most local stuff is UHF, but I'm close enough to the NH line that a decent portable antenna will pick up NHSP and such. So I sort of agree that internal UHF, external VHF would be preferable.

I can't for the life of me find it now, but I swear that last week I found a page on Unication's site suggesting that the first batch of G2/G3 pagers would ship to dealers starting in June.
Matt
Lowell, MA

Citywide 173

#8 Post by Citywide 173 » 14 Apr 2019 12:08

ErrolW wrote:
12 Apr 2019 09:31
(also no connection to antenna connector on amplified base).
I believe that if you search the RR forums, Paul at Unication has reported that both antennas do indeed make contact through the amplified base and that the initial belief/reports were wrong.
n1zyy wrote:
13 Apr 2019 22:48
In my case, most local stuff is UHF, but I'm close enough to the NH line that a decent portable antenna will pick up NHSP and such. So I sort of agree that internal UHF, external VHF would be preferable.
You would be surprised at how good the internal Unication antennas are. My G5 receives UHF at 30+ miles outside (Boston EMS in Attleboro.)
Ed Burke
Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
KD1EMS WQRD823

ErrolW

#9 Post by ErrolW » 15 Apr 2019 14:53

I stand corrected on the AMP charger base. It appears from this thread on RR that both receivers are connected.
https://forums.radioreference.com/threa ... as.377108/

Sadly, that adds $150 to the total cost of ownership; but perhaps worse, another item cluttering the cab of my truck. The dog may need to move to the back seat.
Errol
Framingham, MA
Pittsburg, NH