Best scanner for Bangor Maine area

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!

TARDIS2008

Best scanner for Bangor Maine area

#1 Post by TARDIS2008 » 28 Dec 2019 10:31

Hi, I am a total noob here. Well, I had a portable uniden scanner that I got in the last 90's for NASCAR that could also be used to pick up law enforcement. Recently my wife and I became interested in getting a new scanner but obviously the landscape has changed. We live in the Bangor, Maine area not far from Bald Mountain. In looking at scanner's I have no idea if I need something that does trunking, MotoTRBO, NXDN, etc. I am not even sure that those terms really mean. I have looked them up but I am still not sure I completely get them.

We really like the looks of the SDS 200 but I read it doesn't do analog as well as some older scanners. Would it do as well as a 20 year old basic scanner? What do I really need for the Bangor Maine area? Are there any digital communications systems here? I tried to look it up but still not sure I understand what I reading. Do I need to pay for the NXDN upgrade or any of the other upgrades? As I said I am total noob here.

Sorry for such a long post but I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you in advance.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Re: Best scanner for Bangor Maine area

#2 Post by W1KNE » 28 Dec 2019 11:12

So the first question is, what do you want to listen to?

If you want something easy that can pick up the MSCommnet system and local public safety which is mostly in analog or P25, then a HomePatrol II would suit you well. It has a high quality receiver, decent audio, easy to use and is quite reliable. I have one at my house in my living room and like it quite a bit. (The replay feature alone is worth it.)
The only downside to the HPII is, it relies on the RRDB, and Maine's DB has a lot of errors in it. But the plus side is, you can actually program it using a PC and the free sentinel software.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

TARDIS2008

#3 Post by TARDIS2008 » 28 Dec 2019 11:23

Well, mostly we would want to listen to EMS, Police, Fire. Maybe Lifeflight, local municipality stuff, airline, etc. We would also like to explore what else we could tune into in my area.

deacon

#4 Post by deacon » 28 Dec 2019 11:40

I have friends in Dedham, Maine. In Bangor frequently. I stay at the Lucerne Inn. I listen using my 996P2 and hear all the services you indicated. On my next trip I will be using my SDS 100 with GPS mounted in my car and my 996P2 in the hotel. At the minimum, I would purchase a 996P2.

Chuck

TARDIS2008

#5 Post by TARDIS2008 » 28 Dec 2019 14:44

Thoughts on how the SDS 200 will compare to a 20 year old low level portable uniden/bearcat? Will it pull in the analog signals as least as well as a 20 year old one? I ask because I read that the analog reception isn't as good as some other scanners.

trp

#6 Post by trp » 01 Jan 2020 01:07

deacon wrote:
28 Dec 2019 11:40
...At the minimum, I would purchase a 996P2.
If you decide to purchase the Uniden BCD996P2, MTC Radio in Paris, Texas currently has it for $329.99 with FREE shipping and no sales tax charged. That's about the lowest price I have seen anywhere for that radio (brand-new) with FREE shipping and no sales tax charged. Here's the direct link to the BCD996P2 at MTC Radio: https://www.mtcradio.com/uniden-bearcat ... l-scanner/

The BCD996P2 includes the USB computer programming cable in the box with the scanner and it can be programmed using the free program FreeSCAN which can be downloaded here: https://sites.google.com/site/sixspotsoftware/downloads
trp