New R820T2 Dongle

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!

garys

New R820T2 Dongle

#1 Post by garys » 08 Jan 2018 15:04

I've been dissatisfied with my NooElec R820T2 dongle, the one in the blue plastic case, for a while. Especially when compared to the Airspy. That makes sense given the quality of the Airspy. What would happen is when tracking a DMR or NXDN trunk, the Airspy would work fine and direct the NooElec to a voice channel, but the audio would be either garbled of non existent.

So, I went looking for an upgraded dongle and found the NooElec NESDR SMArt - Premium RTL-SDR w/ Aluminum Enclosure on Amazon. The reviews were pretty good, with the only legit negative comment being that the enclosure does get hot. Anyway, I hooked it up last night and it works very well. Quite a bit more sensitive than the older dongle, with hardly any frequency drift at all. It's as stable as the Airspy, even if it's not quite as sensitive.

For $20.00 or so, it's well worth adding to the set up.

Boy, this cheap hobby sure has cost me a lot of money! :)
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ME343

#2 Post by ME343 » 08 Jan 2018 18:16

I use the NooElec NESDR SMArt and it's one of the best investment I have ever made. I use it with a lot of different SDR programs and notice that it seems to be really sensitive.
Eric H.
Scanners: BC125AT, WS1065
Other: NESDR SMART
RRDB Admin for: Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

garys

#3 Post by garys » 08 Jan 2018 19:40

I'm noticing that I can receive audio on 900Mhz channels that the previous dongle was deaf to. A serious upgrade, for short money.
ME343 wrote:I use the NooElec NESDR SMArt and it's one of the best investment I have ever made. I use it with a lot of different SDR programs and notice that it seems to be really sensitive.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

disp617

#4 Post by disp617 » 21 Jan 2018 20:05

I picked two up last week with the hopes of setting up dsd for trunktracking.

I got the package with antennas.

Very quick shipping coming from NY

Very happy with the construction of it compared to the plastic ones that first came out. The new one is well built and sturdy.

Anyone use a multi unit set up? What do you use it for?

I mostly use it to blindly monitor the ICE Trbo trunk to watch for new group ids and radio ids. I also use it for planeplotter and unitrunker.

Well worth the $25!

garys

#5 Post by garys » 21 Jan 2018 21:49

The only thing I've found is that there is considerable drift at VHF frequencies. Or maybe offset is a better term. I had to crank in +55.5 PPM correction at 152.xxx to hear the voice channels on that NXDN system I found last week. It's predictable, which is good. No correction needed at UHF or 900Mhz. I'm going to assume that 800Mhz is the same.

For what it costs, I'm very happy.