SDS 200

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!

garys

SDS 200

#1 Post by garys » 08 Feb 2019 12:53

Mine came earlier in the week. I set up it up using essentially the same data as I used for my x36HP.

Overall, I'm greatly impressed with it. Better audio than the 536HP, much clearer decoding of P25, DMR, and NXDN. I don't have Pro Voice on it, so I can't comment.

The biggest improvement is with the display. The 536HP was a disappointment in that regard when installed in my truck. I used Siren as the display since the native display faded out. It hasn't been super bright since I installed the SDS in my truck, but the readability is much better due to the size of the display.

The controls are pretty much the same, except that Uniden reversed the Volume and Squelch knobs for some reason. There are also a couple of other differences in operation, but nothing major.

There's a thread on RR with a small number of complaints about a hum coming from the scanner. I haven't had that at all, so I don't know if it's real of the usual crowd of whiners.

The size is an issue for some mobile installs. Well, probably most mobile installs. It fits in my 2006 Tundra, but the angle it's mounted at will need a bit of work when the weather gets warmer. I think Uniden missed out by not making this with an option for a remote head like a lot of ham radios have. And commercial two way radios. And Whistler has with a couple of their models.

A couple of mysteries as well. Not sure what the front USB port is going to be for. Not sure what the Micro USB on the back is going to be for. Not sure why they put the LAN port on the front. Finally, not sure whey they went from a RS-232 port for the GPS. Well, maybe so that they could sell a proprietary GPS puck. For that matter, they could have changed it to a USB style GPS. Since I only used GPS once with my 536HP, it's not a huge deal.

Maybe they have some options up their corporate sleeve that will use those ports.

I'll be waiting for all of the people complaining about the scanner to put them on the market at bargain prices so I can get a second one for the house. ;)

ErrolW

Re: SDS 200

#2 Post by ErrolW » 09 Feb 2019 06:21

Thanks for the review. For the moment, my lack of funds will force others to be the early adopters.

I am completely baffled as to why there is not either a remote head or simply an app to control this unit. My hope is that a third party (b/c Uniden does not seem to be that proficient at app development) makes an app that can be used with a wireless bridge plugged into the LAN port on the front. Alternatively one could use the LAN port and a small portable router (like a HooToo) and create a network in the car.

An app designed for mobile use would really be optimal for my old eyes; I've tried running Proscan on a Windows tablet (Winbook) and it's just about impossible to use in a vehicle (even stopped) and without a trackball or mouse.

I would love to try one of these out in northern New England where simulcast (or mountains effectively producing the same result) makes VHF tough to receive at times (especially the NHSP Troop F sites) and the Maine system requires a good trunking scanner (and GPS a real plus).

garys

#3 Post by garys » 09 Feb 2019 10:48

Despite the frequent criticism of Siren on RR, no one has yet come up with a mobile app for the x36HP scanners. It seems that you and I are the only people that used Siren as a display in a mobile environment. That made using the 536Hp in my truck a pleasure instead of torture.

I'll be driving up and back to Portland next week, so I'll get to see how the scanner works on VHF. I'll even get to see how it works on the Portland P25 system.

I agree that it would have been smart to design a removable head for the scanner.
ErrolW wrote:
09 Feb 2019 06:21
Thanks for the review. For the moment, my lack of funds will force others to be the early adopters.

I am completely baffled as to why there is not either a remote head or simply an app to control this unit. My hope is that a third party (b/c Uniden does not seem to be that proficient at app development) makes an app that can be used with a wireless bridge plugged into the LAN port on the front. Alternatively one could use the LAN port and a small portable router (like a HooToo) and create a network in the car.

An app designed for mobile use would really be optimal for my old eyes; I've tried running Proscan on a Windows tablet (Winbook) and it's just about impossible to use in a vehicle (even stopped) and without a trackball or mouse.

I would love to try one of these out in northern New England where simulcast (or mountains effectively producing the same result) makes VHF tough to receive at times (especially the NHSP Troop F sites) and the Maine system requires a good trunking scanner (and GPS a real plus).

wb1hbu

#4 Post by wb1hbu » 10 Feb 2019 12:13

Hello,

The front port on the SDS-200 is for programing, like the Mini-USB on the SDS-100. The rear port likely has the same function as the Micro-USB on the SDS-100.
https://forums.radioreference.com/threa ... on.372168/

Uniden uses a simple 3.3 volt non-RS232 serial module for the CB-GPSK module. I was able to easily interface the Adafruit Ultimate GPS module to the scanner. I do not normally use a GPS with scanners, but it worked pretty good on my drive down to RI yesterday. The choice for serial versus USB maybe down to all the USB ports on the processor are used for other things.

73 Eric

garys

#5 Post by garys » 10 Feb 2019 15:24

UPMan stated on the review thread at RR that it's "undefined" as of now. Which is the same as on the SDS 100. As apparently, is the "Master" USB port on the front of the radio.

There is someone on RR offering a GPS module with RJ11 plug for $40.00. I don't use GPS that often unless I am leaving New England and the areas of New York immediately adjacent to NE. I had pretty good luck with GPS on the 536HP the one or two times I used it.

Other than it's size, I haven't found anything not to like about the scanner. Size is only an issue because they chose not to design in a remote head. At that, it fits in my truck with no problem.
wb1hbu wrote:
10 Feb 2019 12:13
Hello,

The front port on the SDS-200 is for programing, like the Mini-USB on the SDS-100. The rear port likely has the same function as the Micro-USB on the SDS-100.
https://forums.radioreference.com/threa ... on.372168/

Uniden uses a simple 3.3 volt non-RS232 serial module for the CB-GPSK module. I was able to easily interface the Adafruit Ultimate GPS module to the scanner. I do not normally use a GPS with scanners, but it worked pretty good on my drive down to RI yesterday. The choice for serial versus USB maybe down to all the USB ports on the processor are used for other things.

73 Eric

jbella

#6 Post by jbella » 11 Feb 2019 17:38

I tripped over my richard buying the SDS100. It hasn't fixed simulacst distortion at all on analog, but I will say when I'm traveling it's great on P25. So for now I have 0 interest in it, but it's good to hear the reports.