SDS100 Fixed??

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

SDS100 Fixed??

#1 Post by W1KNE » 26 Feb 2019 18:04

So I received my SDS-100 back from Uniden. Or should I say, they sent me a newer one, in a warranty exchange.
So far so good. The image issues I was having with the one sent in seem to be gone, and judging so far from monitoring it, it almost seems more sensitive than my 536. I did the real test, and tied it to my outside antenna, and still no issues with the images. So this is definitely a win.

Based on this result, I do plan on getting a SDS-200 in the near future. :rolleyes:
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Re: SDS100 Fixed??

#2 Post by garys » 27 Feb 2019 14:32

That's very good news. Was your original SDS100 an early production unit? Also, do you have any of the add on modes enabled? By which I mean DMR, NXDN, Pro Voice.

I'm seriously considering selling my 436HP and buying a SDS100.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#3 Post by W1KNE » 27 Feb 2019 17:27

I spoke too soon. The few known images I Had at home are gone. However here in Norwood, I am hearing Randolph PD over Norwood's frequency fairly clear. So it's still not 100% correct. It was a nice hope at first. Not very promising now.

Edit

So this image of Randolph appears to be only when a second transmitter of some kind is up. A mix product of the two. This I've had even with the 436/536 before on UHF, so this could be a known issue from here?

Further investigation continues, but outside of the one issue, seems to be good still.

Wish there was a fix for the occasional "Low USB bus voltage" error.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

cdgordon
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#4 Post by cdgordon » 27 Feb 2019 20:11

carefully listen to see if it is a NOAA weather station or FM music. During a pause when the transmitter is still open, you can sometimes tell what the interfering signal is. I am about 20 miles from a NOAA transmitter and 10 miles from a FM music station and the outside antenna causes me to have to have a FM trap and a WX trap. If the new scanner is more sensitive, you may be hearing the same thing.

chris

W1MTW

#5 Post by W1MTW » 28 Feb 2019 07:15

Or, a ham repeater, or pager. Back before I got into ham radio (early 80's), I was made aware of the local ham repeater, as they had just fired it up on the air, but didn't take into account the local hospital pager that was on 157.740. Their repeater was on 146.940. The results became quite obvious when both became active!
Mark
Mark, W1MTW
Windham, ME
PRO-106

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#6 Post by W1KNE » 28 Feb 2019 13:23

It was more likely a business radio repeater. Definitely not FM or NOAA overloads, I would've heard that in a second! :D

The "interference" stopped around 5pm, and I was in a very heavy commercial area, so I am guessing it was a business repeater doing it.
Mike Fitzpatrick