SDS-200 First Try

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!

Scott

SDS-200 First Try

#1 Post by Scott » 07 Apr 2019 16:42

Well I received my SDS-200 on Friday courtesy of Jeff at Hamstation, which ultimately is a testament to why you stick with good customer service no matter who your go to is. To that in a bit...

...so out of the box comes mine, I plug it in and fire it up. I'm hearing plenty of traffic so without hesitation I order my DMR and NXDN keys. It is only after that I begin to realize that aside from the MSP Zone 04 TRS...well I'm not hearing much of anything going on...

...so, I fire up the 536HP that the SDS200 is replacing. And via the same multicoupler/antenna I am hearing much more traffic on the 536 than on the 200. I switch out the coax from scanner to multicoupler to no avail. As it turns out, I am not even hearing Falmouth or Sandwich Police on their conventional 800 MHz frequencies on the SDS200, yet there they are as always loud, clear, and full-quieting on my 536.

...so I begin to research these "filters" that are on board the SDS200. While there are many, I have yet to find a definition of what they specifically attempt to do. Clearly due to environment it is almost certain that no two users are going to have the same settings for the same frequencies or systems. But the bottom line is I can't make much if any improvement for receiving these two local departments by going through the filter settings.

...so then I decide to branch out and do some further testing. Again, same antenna via the same multicoupler. One of my go-to's is always 162.475, the NOAA weather broadcast station at Blue Hill. There it is, loud and clear on the 536. And completely in the mud on the SDS200.

...so, at that point I've pretty much had enough and I contact Jeff. After a few go rounds of email regarding the symptoms he without hesitation has another one on the way to me tomorrow (Monday 4/8). That is great customer service. Not only that but also he will work with Uniden to get my DMR and NXDN keys switched to the replacement scanner. Which hopefully will work as it should, because other than this minor (yeah right) issue this is most certainly a fine radio. Leave it to me to get a dud!

There have been reports of issues with conventional reception and some of them have clearly been addressed (given the information read at the RR forums) but neither Jeff or I have heard of any issues as drastic as the ones my current SDS200 have. Fortunately a quick fix appears to be in order.
Scott