Scan New England - Passing Command

This forum is for discussion about the overall website and message board setup, comments, suggestions, and gripes.

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Scott
Posts: 7877
Joined: 18 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Contact:

Scan New England - Passing Command

#1 Post by Scott » 27 Jan 2019 17:16

I am pleased to announce that the "peaceful transfer of power" for Scan New England has been accomplished. :)

Going forward your webmaster duties will be in the capable hands of Mike Fitzpatrick, known in these parts as W1KNE. Mike has been a long-time administrator here and between him and Bill have pretty much kept this website running (with the help of all of the rest of the admins, moderators, and Wiki editors of course) during my hiatus. Mike will bring his vast experience as a long time hobbyist, administrator, ham radio operator, website builder, and all around good guy to the table. The website will be in great hands going forward and I (and you should) look forward to how it continues to develop with Mike behind the wheel.

I will remain on as an administrator for as long as my behind (and the rest of me) continues to reside in the area, which will be for a while yet! No short-term plans to relocate! I will likely change my username to something else. Dumb Ass and Quitter have already been suggested. I'll consider them but I'll probably just wind up using my ham radio call or go back to using Scan Cape Cod or something mundane like that. Stay tuned.

It has been a pleasure and honor to bring this website to the region. It has existed in many incarnations in its time, from the humble beginnings of Scan Cape Cod back in the 1990's, to Scan Massachusetts, and finally to its current tenure as Scan New England. It is important to remember that this website has always been user driven. Your contributions, posts, discussion, and occasional arguments have been and always will be its backbone. Thank you for that. The time has come to pass the torch and so I do so now.

Over to you Mike!

User avatar
W1KNE
Posts: 4033
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Taunton, MA
Contact:

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#2 Post by W1KNE » 27 Jan 2019 17:32

Thank you Scott for the kind words. Effective immediately you are demoted to "glorified water boy", and your avatar will be changed to a New York Yankees symbol.

Joking aside, I am pleased to be able to have this opportunity to help continue to keep this site running smoothly and to keep it local, as they say. The foundation that this site has built in it's moderators, and members is no fluke. It's because of you that it is what it is, and it is my intention to "not break what isn't broken". Outside of maybe a couple cosmetic things down the road, this site is staying put and functional how it is. Scott has a lot more background on the "runnings" of the site, and is going to stay on board to continue doing the tireless work he does behind the scenes (and to keep me sane, plus answer what are undoubtedly 1000 questions I will have for him.). I appreciate the opportunity to serve all of you as the new webmaster here, and hope if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

I also want to personally single out Bill, ECPS92, for all his tireless work in our WIKI. The wiki has become the gold standard when it comes to accurate information. Without his tireless effort (and our 10-15 emails a week back and fourth), the wiki wouldn't be what it is. Bill's an asset to this forum, and a huge help to me as well, so I want to give him a public thank you for his efforts.

-- Mike Fitzpatrick

User avatar
ScanBoston
Posts: 3249
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Boston Area
Contact:

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#3 Post by ScanBoston » 27 Jan 2019 21:06

I hate all of you! Of course I'm an idiot so what does that say......

User avatar
pete
Posts: 649
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 20:42
Location: Fall River

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#4 Post by pete » 27 Jan 2019 21:21

Now that the CIA-backed freedom fighters (Scanning rebels) have pulled off the coup and terminated the evil dictator, the rest of us minions will dutifully serve the new Supreme Ruler ! All kidding aside, welcome to the helm Mike ! I'm sure this site will continue to be The Premier scanning site for many years to come. :beer: :beer:

scannermaster
Posts: 26
Joined: 26 May 2018 13:02

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#5 Post by scannermaster » 27 Jan 2019 21:34

Thank you Scott for running this site all these years with the help of Bill and others....and best of luck Mike!

Rich B.

gillham
Posts: 16
Joined: 24 Jul 2013 08:29
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#6 Post by gillham » 28 Jan 2019 23:19

Thanks everyone! :beer:

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4861
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#7 Post by ecps92 » 29 Jan 2019 10:42

Your passport to leave the Cape has been revoked :) Subject to annual review. :Bruins:

Scott, thanks for keeping such a Great regional source of information available to all of us

I'm sure those who have been proud to be affilliated with SNE over the years and are no-longer with are all looking down and enjoying the transfer for the future.
Scott wrote:
27 Jan 2019 17:16
I am pleased to announce that the "peaceful transfer of power" for Scan New England has been accomplished. :)

Going forward your webmaster duties will be in the capable hands of Mike Fitzpatrick, known in these parts as W1KNE. Mike has been a long-time administrator here and between him and Bill have pretty much kept this website running (with the help of all of the rest of the admins, moderators, and Wiki editors of course) during my hiatus. Mike will bring his vast experience as a long time hobbyist, administrator, ham radio operator, website builder, and all around good guy to the table. The website will be in great hands going forward and I (and you should) look forward to how it continues to develop with Mike behind the wheel.

I will remain on as an administrator for as long as my behind (and the rest of me) continues to reside in the area, which will be for a while yet! No short-term plans to relocate! I will likely change my username to something else. Dumb Ass and Quitter have already been suggested. I'll consider them but I'll probably just wind up using my ham radio call or go back to using Scan Cape Cod or something mundane like that. Stay tuned.

It has been a pleasure and honor to bring this website to the region. It has existed in many incarnations in its time, from the humble beginnings of Scan Cape Cod back in the 1990's, to Scan Massachusetts, and finally to its current tenure as Scan New England. It is important to remember that this website has always been user driven. Your contributions, posts, discussion, and occasional arguments have been and always will be its backbone. Thank you for that. The time has come to pass the torch and so I do so now.

Over to you Mike!

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4861
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#8 Post by ecps92 » 29 Jan 2019 10:44

Thanks Mike (Only 10-15 ?, does that include the Bar Tab ?)

It was with guidance from you, Scott and Clyde who taught me the basics of the wiki editing [and we still keep learning] to keep the information
flowing on our GREAT regional site.
W1KNE wrote:
27 Jan 2019 17:32
Thank you Scott for the kind words. Effective immediately you are demoted to "glorified water boy", and your avatar will be changed to a New York Yankees symbol.

Joking aside, I am pleased to be able to have this opportunity to help continue to keep this site running smoothly and to keep it local, as they say. The foundation that this site has built in it's moderators, and members is no fluke. It's because of you that it is what it is, and it is my intention to "not break what isn't broken". Outside of maybe a couple cosmetic things down the road, this site is staying put and functional how it is. Scott has a lot more background on the "runnings" of the site, and is going to stay on board to continue doing the tireless work he does behind the scenes (and to keep me sane, plus answer what are undoubtedly 1000 questions I will have for him.). I appreciate the opportunity to serve all of you as the new webmaster here, and hope if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

I also want to personally single out Bill, ECPS92, for all his tireless work in our WIKI. The wiki has become the gold standard when it comes to accurate information. Without his tireless effort (and our 10-15 emails a week back and fourth), the wiki wouldn't be what it is. Bill's an asset to this forum, and a huge help to me as well, so I want to give him a public thank you for his efforts.

-- Mike Fitzpatrick

User avatar
ScanBoston
Posts: 3249
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Boston Area
Contact:

Re: Scan New England - Passing Gas

#9 Post by ScanBoston » 29 Jan 2019 18:27

Has anyone run any sort of background check on these new leaders. Seen if there was something shady in their past? We sure wouldn't want a Yankee fan running this operation just for an example...

User avatar
W1KNE
Posts: 4033
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Taunton, MA
Contact:

Re: Scan New England - Passing Gas

#10 Post by W1KNE » 30 Jan 2019 10:06

ScanBoston wrote:
29 Jan 2019 18:27
Has anyone run any sort of background check on these new leaders. Seen if there was something shady in their past? We sure wouldn't want a Yankee fan running this operation just for an example...
Not to mention another guy outside of 128... muah-ha-ha-ha....

And I promise no Yankees posts. (For 6 months).

;)

cmpsa
Posts: 525
Joined: 02 Nov 2005 22:39
Location: Warren, MA

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#11 Post by cmpsa » 31 Jan 2019 13:33

Thank you Scott for your past dedication to this website! Unfortunately I had been glued to the ScannerMaster scanner guide for 10+ years, but now that FCC licenses, frequencies & town usage changes on a daily basis now, I became glued to this website in lieu of the former paperback book that I kept all of my town edits in. When I hear a town usage change, or frequency edits, I'm dedicated to relaying those changes here, so the WIKI is now my full-time database of accurate details.

RE: Mike. Thank you for keeping this website and keeping this tradition alive as a common goal to be the website of 1st choice of anyone needing current & accurate frequency data!

Tim
Posts: 262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 18:05
Location: Fall River,MA
Contact:

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#12 Post by Tim » 31 Jan 2019 16:55

Scott, thank you for the many great years of working on Scan New England and making it the great site that it is.. :pint:
Mike and Bill, I am sure will not let any one down. :rolleyes:

Tim

n1zyy
Posts: 72
Joined: 29 May 2017 20:56
Location: Lowell, MA

Re: Scan New England - Passing Command

#13 Post by n1zyy » 01 Feb 2019 18:24

I'm not super active here, but have been finding useful information on the wiki here for years. Thanks, Scott, for running the site for all this time, and thanks, Mike, for picking up the torch!

It sounds like you folks have everything under control, but my "real job" is back-end web development, so holler if you ever need a hand.

Post Reply