The State of the Webmaster Address

This forum is for discussion about the overall website and message board setup, comments, suggestions, and gripes.

Scott SNE Webmaster

The State of the Webmaster Address

#1 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 07 Nov 2017 20:17

Hello all,

I just started my 30th year of working for a local police department here on Cape Cod. As many of you know I am the supervisor of communications for that department, and have been since 1996.

Let's cut right to the chase. Honestly? I am absolutely, positively, almost 100% burnt out on the portion of the scanning hobby that involves the day to day monitoring of area police and fire departments. Why? Because I live it at work. I think the opioid crisis has been the final straw for me. It is a dark, sad, and pathetic situation that I hear at work seemingly on an almost daily basis. Coming home and listening to it, and the numerous other situations our public safety employees deal with on a daily basis, has become less and less appealing to me as time has passed. I hope there is a solution for it; I fear there won't be anytime soon, if ever. Sad but true. There are a few people close to me outside of work that have been victims of the crisis, both as parents to the involved or actually THE involved. Difficult stuff indeed. Those of you that have similar situations surely understand, and no doubt some of you are FAR more affected by it than I am.

So over the last year or so I have stepped away from that aspect of the hobby. While I still enjoy DX'ing and the puzzling out of these new DMR and NXDN systems that are popping up everywhere, the aforementioned has become something that I have transferred to the back burner, for now anyway. Those of you that frequent the website have no doubt noticed that I have not been as much of a presence here as I once was. Where am I going with this? Well, I'm going nowhere and neither is the website, God willing. The core users of this site along with the fine folks that are continuing to update the Wiki are the backbone of it now.

It's not a lack of interest on my part, it is simply an "enough is enough" after dealing with it directly all day. As mentioned, the DX'ing aspect of the hobby is one that I will never abandon. And, to that end, I have returned to amateur radio in full force, both on HF and on VHF/UHF, primarily on DMR via the DMR-MARC and Brandmeister Networks. More on that in another post to come in another forum of this website.

I have been remiss in updating the New England Frequency Database and many other aspects and pages of the website. It is my hope over the course of the coming months to come back to that and get things up to speed, and then some. I also have a life too with a great wife, a great kid, a great family, and great friends, and it was a great summer spent with all of them, away from a lot of the aforementioned as often as possible. However, this has been a nearly life-long hobby for me and it will continue to be, and I'm thankful that such a hobby brings such a wide variety of possibilities to it, so when one becomes mundane or even unpleasant, there is another branch of the tree to climb.

Many thanks to all of you here that keep this website running. Almost 20 years ago now it started out as mine but it has been ours as a group for a fairly good portion of that time. Without those of you that contribute I likely wouldn't have a box to be typing this in as Scan New England likely wouldn't exist without all of you.

That's my story. SNE will live on. My outlook on things are just a bit different now. There's a light at the end of the tunnel for me, and maybe 3 years or so from now I'll be working for a craft brewery somewhere around here and we'll have a new beer forum. :t

Thanks for reading.
Scott - Scan New England Webmaster

garys

#2 Post by garys » 07 Nov 2017 20:50

A couple of comments, if I may.

As a former President used to say, "I feel your pain." The last 3-4 years I was working I had Boston EMS locked out of my scanner. After 30 years, I just didn't want to hear it when I wasn't working. I actually didn't want to hear it when I WAS working, but they frown on that.
I think as you start to see the end of your career, your brain starts to realign itself.

I think this is normal and since you still have interest in the non public safety stuff, you have plenty to do and plenty to contribute. Figuring out how the new digital systems are working is actually great fun. The software can be baffling at times, but finally figuring that out and also finding a new system and figuring out how it works and who is using it is challenging and fun.

IOW, you are experiencing what a lot of people have experienced.

If there isn't one already, a Wiki page explaining how all of that DMR Ham stuff works would be of great interest. I haven't dabbled in that yet, but it seems that there is some pretty cheap equipment out there and some interesting repeaters.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ecps92

#3 Post by ecps92 » 08 Nov 2017 06:38

Mashpee Brewery ? or SNE Brewers ??
Scott SNE Webmaster wrote:Hello all,

I just started my 30th year of working for a local police department here on Cape Cod. As many of you know I am the supervisor of communications for that department, and have been since 1996.

Let's cut right to the chase. Honestly? I am absolutely, positively, almost 100% burnt out on the portion of the scanning hobby that involves the day to day monitoring of area police and fire departments. Why? Because I live it at work. I think the opioid crisis has been the final straw for me. It is a dark, sad, and pathetic situation that I hear at work seemingly on an almost daily basis. Coming home and listening to it, and the numerous other situations our public safety employees deal with on a daily basis, has become less and less appealing to me as time has passed. I hope there is a solution for it; I fear there won't be anytime soon, if ever. Sad but true. There are a few people close to me outside of work that have been victims of the crisis, both as parents to the involved or actually THE involved. Difficult stuff indeed. Those of you that have similar situations surely understand, and no doubt some of you are FAR more affected by it than I am.

So over the last year or so I have stepped away from that aspect of the hobby. While I still enjoy DX'ing and the puzzling out of these new DMR and NXDN systems that are popping up everywhere, the aforementioned has become something that I have transferred to the back burner, for now anyway. Those of you that frequent the website have no doubt noticed that I have not been as much of a presence here as I once was. Where am I going with this? Well, I'm going nowhere and neither is the website, God willing. The core users of this site along with the fine folks that are continuing to update the Wiki are the backbone of it now.

It's not a lack of interest on my part, it is simply an "enough is enough" after dealing with it directly all day. As mentioned, the DX'ing aspect of the hobby is one that I will never abandon. And, to that end, I have returned to amateur radio in full force, both on HF and on VHF/UHF, primarily on DMR via the DMR-MARC and Brandmeister Networks. More on that in another post to come in another forum of this website.

I have been remiss in updating the New England Frequency Database and many other aspects and pages of the website. It is my hope over the course of the coming months to come back to that and get things up to speed, and then some. I also have a life too with a great wife, a great kid, a great family, and great friends, and it was a great summer spent with all of them, away from a lot of the aforementioned as often as possible. However, this has been a nearly life-long hobby for me and it will continue to be, and I'm thankful that such a hobby brings such a wide variety of possibilities to it, so when one becomes mundane or even unpleasant, there is another branch of the tree to climb.

Many thanks to all of you here that keep this website running. Almost 20 years ago now it started out as mine but it has been ours as a group for a fairly good portion of that time. Without those of you that contribute I likely wouldn't have a box to be typing this in as Scan New England likely wouldn't exist without all of you.

That's my story. SNE will live on. My outlook on things are just a bit different now. There's a light at the end of the tunnel for me, and maybe 3 years or so from now I'll be working for a craft brewery somewhere around here and we'll have a new beer forum. :t

Thanks for reading.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Mark SNE Moderator

#4 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 08 Nov 2017 06:54

I should consider this path? What could go wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17
http://www.tsviewer.com/locate_user.php ... &sID=42201

cdgordon

#5 Post by cdgordon » 08 Nov 2017 09:50

In 2009 I retired as a firefighter and went on a lifelong dream of hiking the entire Appalachian Trail. For 5 months I didn't hear a peep from a scanner, pager, or anything like it. I used a library or hotel computer to compose and post updates but no other web or even email. I had a flip phone that was off most of the time (I only used 130 minutes in that time). I expected to be missing it all and even had thought of carrying a small handheld scanner as Bill had suggested. Instead, I was unplugged and enjoyed the heck out of being so. Upon my return, I would forget to turn the scanners on in the morning and find other stuff to do. Eventually, I did come back into the hobby and I am back up to my ears in it.
Always put your family and well being above the hobby as that hopefully will give you more satisfaction.

chris

ScanBoston

#6 Post by ScanBoston » 08 Nov 2017 16:00

I don't have any of the reasons you guys in public safety and yet I find I listen much less than I used to as well. Very busy at work and where we moved I have no scanner antenna to my desk like I had. I keep buying new scanners and never really fully program them and decide I don't like how they operate. The last three new scanners have never made it to my car and I'm not sure they ever will. Perhaps I'm sick of the hobby too. I keep thinking when I get fired I'll get back into it but no cigar yet. That's how you leave radio no one quits or resigns they just decide your too old or cost too much and they fire you. Oh well then I will have more time as a homeless scanner listener. But I must say I can't imagine traffic filled commutes without ham radio. I'm on that stuff anytime i'm in my car. Scott I'm still addicted to this site and I must check it three times a day. We need to have another scanNE together in the PLYmouth area someday soon. Over and Out.

W1KNE

#7 Post by W1KNE » 08 Nov 2017 17:21

So I come at this from a totally different angle. Yes, I am a former Fire Fighter, but haven't served since 1997. I am, however, a broadcaster and researcher. So I have some of that "News hound" ingrained in my from working in the industry for 20+ years. I still am very interested in the "big" calls, and whatnot. I also am always wanting to make sure that the DBs I help maintain, here and at RR, are accurate to my ability as well. So I tend to monitor everything. I tend to monitor fire calls much less than I used to in the past, as there are just so many medical calls you can listen to before that fatigues on you, but I do find I monitor the "not so common" stuff more. Like business, security and other non public safety frequencies. I think that's a big reason why I, along with Bill, helped to blow up the business sections of our wiki.

Scott, you took a chance on me at this website a very very long time ago, to become an admin. And in the time, I know you and I have become good friends as well. I appreciate the opportunities you've given me over the years, and your help in getting me behind the DB at Radio Reference as well. We still are long, long, overdue for a good beer. (Mark and Bill, you two as well). We should get together soon! Thank you for everything, and for keeping this site up and running, for all of us.

KB1FJR

#8 Post by KB1FJR » 08 Nov 2017 17:34

The opiate epidemic is draining and simply put the mental health system also needs severe fixing. Until the mental health system is fixed than the opiate epidemic will not even have a remote chance of getting better. Very complex problem that I don’t think government or healthcare can solve on their own.

I have kind of given up with scanning anything outside of Grafton. Mainly due to the horrible designed radio systems in most of the surrounding towns and mainly my location reception wise.

When i visit my family in Dudley i listen to the point where I have to change batteries on my Icom VHF portable. Nothing seems to beat a strong VHF radio system in central ma.

Also a lot of the towns out here are very quiet. The police usually only active during rush hour with traffic enforcement and the fire departments with the cooking calls. I also get tired of medical calls and I think there is only so much you can here only so many different variants of calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynskey 85

#9 Post by Lynskey 85 » 08 Nov 2017 18:19

So I can't remember my last post, but it's got to be at least 3 years ago. In fact there was a period of time where I was checking this site once every couple months and would have 7-10 pages of unread threads if not more. The last couple months I find myself making more frequent visits, I think more to see if there is something new going on in the area that I should know for work purposes.

That being said, Scott, I completely get it. 5 years ago I wouldn't have. In my 11 years working part-time in Public Safety Communications (and 3-4 years of scanner monitoring before that), I used to hear all the time "how can you listen when you aren't working" and I used to truly enjoy doing it, as evidenced by my involvement on this site in years past. After only about 3-4 months of working full time as communications director, I hit that point of it has become part of my daily life for 8-10 hours, EVERY day. I found myself getting home and not wanting to hear radio traffic. I wanted that release, I guess you could say, from the day.

Do I still listen at times, I do. Do I still turn it on if I know something is going on. I do. But is it a focus at this point outside of work. Not even a little bit. In fact, other than the feed I provide from my house, I haven't had a scanner on in a couple weeks. I still find enjoyment in listening to Worcester Fire via feed as its the nearby city and it gives me the opportunity to hear the city environment (vs. my small town) but to also know the areas they are talking about and in many cases, the buildings. But the last thing I find myself wanting to do is to listen to any of the towns I listen to a work all day long.

I give you a lot of credit for doing what you've done with the hobby and this site for as long as you have. I for a long time would have thought I'd never get away from the hobby, but it was a very quick change when it became my daily job. I thank you for all the effort you have put in. I know it is an enormous task to be a full time communications director, a full time website administrator, a full time forum administrator, and a hobbyist. You've been doing what for most would equate to 3 full-time jobs for years. Kudos to you for all your efforts over the years. Its commendable.
Greg Lynskey
W2GEL
Communications Center Director - South Worcester County Communications Center

ecps92

#10 Post by ecps92 » 09 Nov 2017 06:55

Maybe...we can find a Location with [Adult Beverages and Food] that we can take over for an evening that is easy for many folks to come and Join.
I know of a [Braintree] Location, but it is tough for the Cape folks and we could put a bunch of Bar High Tops together, factor in APP's [No not Software, but they do have Wifi] and write it off as an Office Party..
maybe pick a Slow night [not thirsty thurs] - altho we would max out at 20, but if we had confirmations of attending.... thoughts/comments ? Mike/Kenny know where I am talking about

I'll double check this week with the Manager, as they have changed twice in the past year and confirm they still support "Office Party's"
W1KNE wrote: Scott, you took a chance on me at this website a very very long time ago, to become an admin. And in the time, I know you and I have become good friends as well. I appreciate the opportunities you've given me over the years, and your help in getting me behind the DB at Radio Reference as well. We still are long, long, overdue for a good beer. (Mark and Bill, you two as well). We should get together soon! Thank you for everything, and for keeping this site up and running, for all of us.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

n1zyy

#11 Post by n1zyy » 16 Dec 2017 21:50

I'm a month late to the party, but Scott, thanks for all you do -- both with this site and in your profession. I'm not too active on the site, but have visited it for years and am grateful for all the hard work that keeps it as such a great resource. I don't work in public safety but am bummed out by all the overdoses I hear as well; I can only imagine living it every day. So, thanks for all you do!
Matt
Lowell, MA

PFD1993

#12 Post by PFD1993 » 17 Dec 2017 16:15

Thanks Scott ! Very much appreciated. I have "opened" a small craft brewery for my own health and well-being. Battle Tested Brewing is alive and well in Warwick, RI (listening post available)...lol
Gil
Warwick, RI

Mark SNE Moderator

#13 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 17 Dec 2017 20:43

Battle Tested Brewing = Road Trip!
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17
http://www.tsviewer.com/locate_user.php ... &sID=42201