Welcome to the new Scan New England website

This forum is for discussion about the overall website and message board setup, comments, suggestions, and gripes.

Scott SNE Webmaster

Welcome to the new Scan New England website

#1 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 25 Feb 2018 14:29

The switch is complete. If you have any issues use the Contact Us link at the bottom of any forum or portal page and provide as much info as possible. I'll probably add that link to the content menu as well. A few points:

1. Your username and password from the old site should work.
2. Your avatars did not translate, likely because they were too large. You can re-do them in your User Control Panel. To get to that use the drop down menu beneath your username which is in the upper right corner.
3. There are three different styles to choose from, the default is AllanStyle, and there is a standard phpbb view as well as a dark view. Others may be added but it's low priority.
4. There is a new chat feature. Links at the top left and on the content menu. It's pretty neat.
5. The Massachusetts regional forums ARE NOT missing! They've just been placed as sub-forums under the Massachusetts forum to streamline a bit.
6. The FAQ will have to be rebuilt for site-specific info. In the meantime, common sense seems to prevail 99% of the time.
7. Site Administrators now show up in red, site moderators show up in green.
8. I expect some things won't work right immediately. Again use the Contact Us form. If you can send me a private message that works fine also.

Thanks and have fun.

W1MTW

Re: Welcome to the new Scan New England website

#3 Post by W1MTW » 25 Feb 2018 15:29

Just FYI: My password did not work, I reset it, then changed it back to my normal password. All is good!

Scott SNE Webmaster

#4 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 25 Feb 2018 15:38

W1MTW wrote:
25 Feb 2018 15:29
Just FYI: My password did not work, I reset it, then changed it back to my normal password. All is good!
I think this may be a "feature". :rolleyes: When we did the test run some had this problem and others didn't. You recovered in short order though, so glad to hear that and thanks for the info.

trp

#5 Post by trp » 25 Feb 2018 15:54

W1MTW wrote:
25 Feb 2018 15:29
The same thing happened here but it was an easy fix. I also re-loaded my avatar so all is back to "normal."

The new layout/format looks good and user-friendly!

Scott SNE Webmaster

#6 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 25 Feb 2018 16:06

Thanks trp.

If this happens, click on the "I forgot my password" link beneath the login, wait for the email, and then follow the instructions.

I'd like to hear from someone NOT having the problem too! :D

Scott SNE Webmaster

#7 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 25 Feb 2018 16:13

If you are victimized by the apparent password issue, and you have reset it and logged back in, you probably want to change it to something that you'll remember. To do so:

1. In the upper right corner of the pages you'll see your username with a down arrow to the right of it. Use the down arrow to open the menu.
2. Select User Control Panel.
3. In User Control Panel select the Profile tab.
4. Select Edit Account Settings.
5. Follow the instructions to reset your password. Enter the new one, confirm it by typing it again, and then finally enter the one that was provided when you did the reset.

trp

#8 Post by trp » 25 Feb 2018 16:17

Scott SNE Webmaster wrote:
25 Feb 2018 16:06
...I'd like to hear from someone NOT having the problem too! :D
I can confirm that email notification of "Topic reply notification" is now working again!

garys

#9 Post by garys » 25 Feb 2018 20:25

Looks good. I just have to fool around with my preferences to get everything where I want it.

Thanks, Scott.

Scott SNE Webmaster

#10 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 25 Feb 2018 21:14

The NEFD and Logbook search pages have been built into the website. Unfortunately the results can't be, apparently, and they still open into a pure .html page. There are links in the results to return to the search page, which essentially returns the user to the website with the full left side menu available.

Scott SNE Webmaster

#11 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 25 Feb 2018 22:02

For those that use Tapatalk I haven't got that far yet but I'll be working on that as soon as possible.

Scott SNE Webmaster

#12 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 25 Feb 2018 22:39

Well to cap off the night I tried to go one step more than I probably should have at this point and blew up the New England Frequency Database while trying to renew it. it's fixable but I'm done for the night; tomorrow is another day.

Scott SNE Webmaster

#13 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 25 Feb 2018 22:53

I found the old raw files from the last update and dumped them back into NEFD so at least it works until I get to doing the real update. Hopefully tomorrow. Good night.

pete

#14 Post by pete » 26 Feb 2018 09:22

Had the same password issue, reset it and I'm in. Looking good so far. Don't stress out over it. Have a couple :pint: :pint:

KC1DVN

#15 Post by KC1DVN » 26 Feb 2018 18:54

Thank you for the change. I went back to my old password. :pint: :pint:

Kaimbridge

#16 Post by Kaimbridge » 21 Mar 2018 12:08

FYI: You might want to force either a redirect or fix the landing page for invalid pages, as they redirect to a “domain name has just been registered” error page (even for the www.scan-ne.net base page)—I thought you were still down all this time! P=|

ecps92

#17 Post by ecps92 » 21 Mar 2018 12:47

Clearing the Browser Cache has generally fixed the issue for most folks
Kaimbridge wrote:
21 Mar 2018 12:08
FYI: You might want to force either a redirect or fix the landing page for invalid pages, as they redirect to a “domain name has just been registered” error page (even for the www.scan-ne.net base page)—I thought you were still down all this time! P=|

Kaimbridge

#18 Post by Kaimbridge » 21 Mar 2018 16:16

ecps92 wrote:
21 Mar 2018 12:47
Clearing the Browser Cache has generally fixed the issue for most folks
Yeah, okay, that works for the base page (www.scan-ne.net), but not the subpages—and if you start with the cached version of www.scan-ne.net, it redirects to www.scan-ne.net/forums/content.php, so you canʼt clear www.scan-ne.netʼs specific cache (yeah, you can clear the whole browser cache, but that wonʼt occur to the average schmoe, and it still doesnʼt address all of the subpages).
Also—and it just may not be set up yet—https doesnʼt work (“Secure Connection Failed”).
NBD, just minor bugs that need to be sprayed. P=)
    ~Kaimbridge~ KMA1DGT
Wikipedia—Contributor Home Page:
**** Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer. ****

Citywide 173

#19 Post by Citywide 173 » 23 Mar 2018 16:45

Scott,

Very nice job migrating and maintaining a basic consistency. I just had to migrate Firepics to new software for many of the same reasons as you had here. I tried phpBB, but the database for mine was so messed up that it just threw errors. I ended up going with myBB. There is a lot of backend stuff that people don't see and I just wanted to let you know that it is appreciated.

Ed

K1IWN

#20 Post by K1IWN » 28 Mar 2018 08:55

I am a bit late to the party, but I just wanted to say thanks to you Scott for all that you do to support the hobbyists and us radio nuts in the region.

Cheers. :pint: