FCC Geo Search

For any scanning or radio topic that does not fit into the other forums. Anything that simply doesn't fit anywhere else!

garys

FCC Geo Search

#1 Post by garys » 28 Nov 2018 20:26

Has anyone tried to use this lately? I've run a few searches, but even when know the address, I get no results. For example, I put in Campbell Street, Chelmsford, MA I get no results. There's an ICE tower there, but I can't get any information if I use geo search to see if there are other licensees at that site.

I've used this successfully before, but over the last few days, it doesn't seem to be working.

Unless it's me. Which is why I'd appreciate it if someone else could give it a try. If it works, I'll know I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Gary

ecps92

Re: FCC Geo Search

#2 Post by ecps92 » 29 Nov 2018 07:14

what URL ??
I use https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_ ... /index.cfm
and there is no search by address from this FCC URL. Lat/Lon, City/County yes, but even if there was an address search it would be on the Owner/License address not the Transmitter sites

As shared before, use
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_ ... _select=on
for Lat/Lon searches [Best results]

Stay away from
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... icense.jsp
I've never had decent results and do see the address capability, but as previously said it is likely Licensee not transmitter
garys wrote:
28 Nov 2018 20:26
Has anyone tried to use this lately? I've run a few searches, but even when know the address, I get no results. For example, I put in Campbell Street, Chelmsford, MA I get no results. There's an ICE tower there, but I can't get any information if I use geo search to see if there are other licensees at that site.

I've used this successfully before, but over the last few days, it doesn't seem to be working.

Unless it's me. Which is why I'd appreciate it if someone else could give it a try. If it works, I'll know I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Gary

cdgordon

#3 Post by cdgordon » 29 Nov 2018 10:18

I prefer the link that Bill doesn't like:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... vanced.jsp
and use the GeoSearch function often. I find that the Address function is poor. I usually look for the tower on Google Maps and convert to Lat & Lon and use that option. Since the best you can get is a 1KM radius, the results are often overwhelming. A 1 km radius from the water tower on Campbell Rd in Chelmsford yielded 1000 Part 90 licenses. Remember, if a licensee 20 miles away has a 25 mile operating radius, that license gets returned.
Now you can use the frequency range option or choose some service codes and narrow it down that way. Still a lot of stuff to sort through.

chris

garys

#4 Post by garys » 29 Nov 2018 10:48

That's the one I've been using with good results in the past, but nothing over the past few days. I wonder if I'm entering something wrong or NOT entering something. That tower is pretty high, so there should be a lot of stuff on it, yet I get nothing. I'll go back and try again.

Bill, if you use Geosearch, it will give you transmitter locations even if the licensee is in another state. That works well for some of the UHF LTR and NXDN trunk systems that are run by a company out of New Hampshire, but have the actual transmitters in MA.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas. I'm off to try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Gary
cdgordon wrote:
29 Nov 2018 10:18
and use the GeoSearch function often. I find that the Address function is poor. I usually look for the tower on Google Maps and convert to Lat & Lon and use that option. Since the best you can get is a 1KM radius, the results are often overwhelming. A 1 km radius from the water tower on Campbell Rd in Chelmsford yielded 1000 Part 90 licenses. Remember, if a licensee 20 miles away has a 25 mile operating radius, that license gets returned.
Now you can use the frequency range option or choose some service codes and narrow it down that way. Still a lot of stuff to sort through.

chris

ecps92

#5 Post by ecps92 » 29 Nov 2018 11:48

The URL I posted/use on a regular basis finds the towers to out of state licenses as well, just put in the Lat/Lon and I use 0.5 with no more than a 1.0 mile radius [to cover those slightly off GPS locations]
even if the Licensee is Bearcom in CA, if the lat/lon is right it will find it

The FCC has too many different searches and should get them into one page.
And add KML/KMZ ability from the downloads, to apply to Google Earth :)

garys wrote:
29 Nov 2018 10:48
That's the one I've been using with good results in the past, but nothing over the past few days. I wonder if I'm entering something wrong or NOT entering something. That tower is pretty high, so there should be a lot of stuff on it, yet I get nothing. I'll go back and try again.

Bill, if you use Geosearch, it will give you transmitter locations even if the licensee is in another state. That works well for some of the UHF LTR and NXDN trunk systems that are run by a company out of New Hampshire, but have the actual transmitters in MA.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas. I'm off to try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Gary
cdgordon wrote:
29 Nov 2018 10:18

chris

garys

#6 Post by garys » 29 Nov 2018 12:35

I'm going to try the different search engines and see what gives me the best results. As Chris notes, the Geosearch is whacky in that it gives results way outside of the radus selected. Right now fjallfoss is stuck in "beach ball" hell and not returning any results.

Gary
ecps92 wrote:
29 Nov 2018 11:48
The URL I posted/use on a regular basis finds the towers to out of state licenses as well, just put in the Lat/Lon and I use 0.5 with no more than a 1.0 mile radius [to cover those slightly off GPS locations]
even if the Licensee is Bearcom in CA, if the lat/lon is right it will find it

The FCC has too many different searches and should get them into one page.
And add KML/KMZ ability from the downloads, to apply to Google Earth :)

LTE4NFD

#7 Post by LTE4NFD » 29 Nov 2018 12:37

antennasearch.com
Daniel Mathews
Deputy Chief Natick Fire

Metro Radio System
Merrimack Valley
Middlesex Radio
Southern Maine Fire Notification
WQUC779/KAE6915
^~--- 86---~^

garys

#8 Post by garys » 29 Nov 2018 14:36

That's cool. The only thing is it doesn't list the frequencies licensed for the sites. Still, it's valuable for figuring out who owns which towers.

I've had better luck with the fjallfoss site using lat/long from Google Maps. I've been able to hunt down some of what I was looking for.

Gary
LTE4NFD wrote:
29 Nov 2018 12:37
antennasearch.com