FCC ULS geosearch matches "radius of operation"?!

Discuss any non-radio topic. Just about anything goes. Be civil, and NO FLAME WARS are allowed! Kick back...relax...have a virtual beer...it's on the house! Welcome to the Bar & Grille!
n1zyy

FCC ULS geosearch matches "radius of operation"?!

#1 Post by n1zyy » 02 Sep 2018 15:31

I don't think it's always been this way, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong...

If I go to the ULS "Advanced Search" page ( http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... vanced.jsp ) and specify Part 90 and Active licenses only, and then go through and do a geosearch for some particular coordinates and a fairly tight radius, I always get thousands of results. As best as I can tell, it's matching not just licensed locations, but all licenses whose radius of operation includes that point. There are so many results that the results are basically useless.

I seem to recall getting more specific results in the past. Have others encountered this problem? Has anyone found a fix?

W1MTW

Re: FCC ULS geosearch matches "radius of operation"?!

#2 Post by W1MTW » 02 Sep 2018 15:51

I was able to replicate the problem with my coordinates, using a 1 mile radius, which should have produced only a few licenses. I got results 30-40 miles away, which I know there are no tower sites close to here, being Windham, Me., (Lewiston, Me. PD for one). Definitely, something isn't right!

Mark

ecps92

#3 Post by ecps92 » 02 Sep 2018 18:43

I generally use
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_ ... _select=on

Running a 2.0 Mile search radius returns excellent results
W1MTW wrote:
02 Sep 2018 15:51
I was able to replicate the problem with my coordinates, using a 1 mile radius, which should have produced only a few licenses. I got results 30-40 miles away, which I know there are no tower sites close to here, being Windham, Me., (Lewiston, Me. PD for one). Definitely, something isn't right!

Mark

W1MTW

#4 Post by W1MTW » 03 Sep 2018 08:49

That's usually the one I use too, especially when I wish to know who's on a certain tower. I've never known about the other one. Maybe that one is some older version?

n1zyy

#5 Post by n1zyy » 03 Sep 2018 11:06

Ah-ha! I knew there was another FCC site for this. I was thinking it was gullfoss, which is not around anymore. (Apparently they name them after... Icelandic waterfalls?!) The one I linked to is what I used for updating my ham/GMRS license and is the only one I can find linked off of the FCC site. It definitely has its quirks, though...

Bill's link works great. Thanks!

ecps92

#6 Post by ecps92 » 03 Sep 2018 11:09

Just like Driving, there is always another avenue :)
n1zyy wrote:
03 Sep 2018 11:06
Ah-ha! I knew there was another FCC site for this. I was thinking it was gullfoss, which is not around anymore. (Apparently they name them after... Icelandic waterfalls?!) The one I linked to is what I used for updating my ham/GMRS license and is the only one I can find linked off of the FCC site. It definitely has its quirks, though...

Bill's link works great. Thanks!

W1KNE

#7 Post by W1KNE » 03 Sep 2018 21:23

ecps92 wrote:
02 Sep 2018 18:43
I generally use
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_ ... _select=on

The easy to remember link to the General Menu Reports page is http://www.fccgmrs.com/

cdgordon

#8 Post by cdgordon » 03 Sep 2018 21:42

I suspect there is some glitch in the search engine as I had been getting some strange results over the last couple weeks when I do a FRN search. It returns a huge amount of records and says that it returned records LIKE the FRN I submitted. I also have been getting download file links from searches that say I am not authorized to look at the file I requested.

For location searches, I use a zip code, 5k and try to narrow a search down as much as I can with frequency ranges or specific license types (IG, PS, etc). In the end though, it may mean looking through 100 records. You can also try a different browser or clean out cookies first.

I use the same advanced search, mostly with good results.

chris