Boston Area Fire Alarm Boxes Update

Discuss any non-radio topic. Just about anything goes. Be civil, and NO FLAME WARS are allowed! Kick back...relax...have a virtual beer...it's on the house! Welcome to the Bar & Grille!
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
W1KNE
Posts: 3991
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Taunton, MA
Contact:

Boston Area Fire Alarm Boxes Update

#1 Post by W1KNE » 03 Mar 2013 22:14

FYI,
In Gamewell fire box news.

Stoughton Fire and Easton Fire are in the process of removing their Gamewell street boxes.

Dedham is discussing doing the same this year.
Image

Adam3018

#2 Post by Adam3018 » 05 Mar 2013 11:08

Thats a shame...

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4787
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

Lynn fire department phasing out alarm boxes

#3 Post by ecps92 » 05 Aug 2014 17:11

http://www.itemlive.com/news/lynn-fire- ... f887a.html


Lynn is not the first city to eliminate the alarm boxes. Saugus switched to wireless alarm boxes that work on a radio system (modern pull fire alarms use this system) in 2005. Swampscott has a few boxes remaining, but money to maintain and repair the entire system seemed a perennial budget disagreement in recent years.


Swampscott Fire Captain Remo Zimbaldi said he has heard of many departments discussing whether to continue maintaining such alarm boxes. But he noted the boxes do still come in useful at times.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Mjg0519
Posts: 486
Joined: 04 Jan 2006 16:25
Location: GPS ERROR: Location not found

#4 Post by Mjg0519 » 05 Aug 2014 21:03

Let's face it guys, fire alarm boxes as we know them are an obsolete relic of the past. I know how much fire departments are steeped in tradition and resist change, but there are better ways to spend money. It really is a shame to see cities and towns waste money on manintaining such a wasteful system. And don't even get me started on allowing private businesses to have the FAO monitor a box instead of paying for central station monitoring.

If they were smart the electricians would all retrain themselves in running fiber and advocate building out a city run fiber network. Tie in the police, fire, city hall, dpw, and schools and save money with one redundant network. Then replace all of the old fire boxes with smart call boxes like you see on a college campus. That gives the public a reliable two way system of communication, provides a platform for CCTV cameras, and can even include a button for a non emergency info line.

User avatar
chiefj
Posts: 665
Joined: 11 Oct 2005 21:10
Location: Fall River Area

#5 Post by chiefj » 05 Aug 2014 21:43

Mjg0519 wrote:Let's face it guys, fire alarm boxes as we know them are an obsolete relic of the past. I know how much fire departments are steeped in tradition and resist change, but there are better ways to spend money. It really is a shame to see cities and towns waste money on manintaining such a wasteful system. And don't even get me started on allowing private businesses to have the FAO monitor a box instead of paying for central station monitoring.

If they were smart the electricians would all retrain themselves in running fiber and advocate building out a city run fiber network. Tie in the police, fire, city hall, dpw, and schools and save money with one redundant network. Then replace all of the old fire boxes with smart call boxes like you see on a college campus. That gives the public a reliable two way system of communication, provides a platform for CCTV cameras, and can even include a button for a non emergency info line.
I agree. Very well put and good idea. While hearing a box tap out is very nostalgic, it is no longer practical. With everyone owning a cell phone with very good coverage in this area and enhanced 9-1-1, they are no longer needed.

In my day, kids pulling false alarms from street boxes was a real nuisance. Does this still go on? And, how many actual fires are reported through a street box?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
KB1FJR
Posts: 2087
Joined: 30 Aug 2005 10:58
Location: Central, MA

#6 Post by KB1FJR » 06 Aug 2014 01:30

A house fire in Dudley was reported with a pole game well box about 10 years ago. Now cell service is good enough. I also can't stand how businesses tie right in to the fire station.

Worcester did it right years ago when they got rid of the boxes.

When did Worcester get rid of their boxes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4787
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

Here’s the story behind Boston’s 2,200 bright red fire alarm boxes

#7 Post by ecps92 » 28 Feb 2016 10:58

You see them on lampposts and street corners. But what do they actually do?
http://www.boston.com/life/2016/02/27/h ... ure_sec_hp
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4787
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#8 Post by ecps92 » 11 Aug 2017 12:26

You Tube on the DC Police/Fire Boxes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSO5vRG ... e=youtu.be
ecps92 wrote:You see them on lampposts and street corners. But what do they actually do?
http://www.boston.com/life/2016/02/27/h ... ure_sec_hp
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4787
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#9 Post by ecps92 » 25 Aug 2017 16:28

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/20170825 ... businesses
Fall River now Wireless
ecps92 wrote:You Tube on the DC Police/Fire Boxes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSO5vRG ... e=youtu.be
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
pete
Posts: 644
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 20:42
Location: Fall River

#10 Post by pete » 25 Aug 2017 21:13

FRFD's old system, L.W.Bills wired system, had 565 boxes connected. This will be a long process to get all the businesses converted over to the radio system.
Pete :Pats: :sox: :Bruins:
never forget W6 & 343 & C9

Post Reply