Cape Cod LTR

Discussion forum for scanning Cape Cod & the Islands, including Barnstable, Dukes, and Nantucket counties.
deacon

Cape Cod LTR

#1 Post by deacon » 20 Feb 2018 10:19

I have been monitoring the Cape Cod LTR system with locations in Mashpee, Sandwich, Yarmouth and Brewster. I programmed the system according to the info found in the SNE Wiki. After two days of listening, I have not heard one broadcast. This system is worse than Net 139. Are my observations correct? Why do these systems exist?? Perhaps they don't.

Thank you,
Chuck

ecps92

#2 Post by ecps92 » 20 Feb 2018 11:32

Most LTR's have been migrating to DMR
If you are talking this http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title=LTR_Systems
the Wiki has not been touched since 2015 and many of the confirmations are from 2013 and nothing newer
deacon wrote:I have been monitoring the Cape Cod LTR system with locations in Mashpee, Sandwich, Yarmouth and Brewster. I programmed the system according to the info found in the SNE Wiki. After two days of listening, I have not heard one broadcast. This system is worse than Net 139. Are my observations correct? Why do these systems exist?? Perhaps they don't.

Thank you,
Chuck
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

deacon

#3 Post by deacon » 20 Feb 2018 15:02

ecps92 wrote:Most LTR's have been migrating to DMR
If you are talking this http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title=LTR_Systems
the Wiki has not been touched since 2015 and many of the confirmations are from 2013 and nothing newer
That is the one. However, I am not hearing any of the old, listed stations on Net 139, 134 or One Voice.

Chuck

garys

#4 Post by garys » 20 Feb 2018 16:46

The Mashpee Water District system is still listed as licensed. I'd start with that one and see if it's still operating. Keep in mind that not all licensees modify their licenses as they should when they change operating mode.

One Voice is UHF/UHF-T, at least so far.

The other information is pretty confusing, at least to me. Jeff did that page originally, but I don't know if he's kept current with what's going on currently.

As Bill notes, most of the analog systems have been replaced by MotoTrbo trunking systems. ICE analog systems were all Motorola Type II trunking and Commtronics used LTR. I'm reasonably sure all of the ICE analog is turned off, and I only heard one Commtronics LTR system, up in the Boston area, active a year or more ago.

I would work on the premise that any of these systems licensed on 900 have moved to MotoTrbo.

Browning Ferris, no longer exists, but the license is still active. That's likely the case with some of the other users as well.
I didn't find any listing for CJS Services in MA, so they may no longer exist.

I think it's unlikely that those systems are still operating as the Wiki information indicates.

Try a license search at the FCC website by callsign and see if you get any useable information.

Bill may know why all of those services had individual licenses when they were using someone's commercial trunk system.

deacon wrote:That is the one. However, I am not hearing any of the old, listed stations on Net 139, 134 or One Voice.

Chuck
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ecps92

#5 Post by ecps92 » 21 Feb 2018 07:02

BFI may not be a company anymore, but it's Parent Allied Waste was bought by Republic so it is likely Republic took over the licenses and is just waiting for Renewal to update.
Many Services wait till Renewal and/or a Major site change to update the FCC License Data

Also, back in the EARLY SMR Days [Specialized Mobile Radio Service] it was not uncommon to see each Company/USER being licensed.
Look back thru the old "Official Scanner Guides" and "Scanner Master" books and you will see lots of 800/900 Company licenses at each of the SMR Sites
garys wrote:The Mashpee Water District system is still listed as licensed. I'd start with that one and see if it's still operating. Keep in mind that not all licensees modify their licenses as they should when they change operating mode.

One Voice is UHF/UHF-T, at least so far.

The other information is pretty confusing, at least to me. Jeff did that page originally, but I don't know if he's kept current with what's going on currently.

As Bill notes, most of the analog systems have been replaced by MotoTrbo trunking systems. ICE analog systems were all Motorola Type II trunking and Commtronics used LTR. I'm reasonably sure all of the ICE analog is turned off, and I only heard one Commtronics LTR system, up in the Boston area, active a year or more ago.

I would work on the premise that any of these systems licensed on 900 have moved to MotoTrbo.

Browning Ferris, no longer exists, but the license is still active. That's likely the case with some of the other users as well.
I didn't find any listing for CJS Services in MA, so they may no longer exist.

I think it's unlikely that those systems are still operating as the Wiki information indicates.

Try a license search at the FCC website by callsign and see if you get any useable information.

Bill may know why all of those services had individual licenses when they were using someone's commercial trunk system.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Scott SNE Webmaster

#6 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 21 Feb 2018 08:11

Most of the entities that were on that system have moved to the 900 MHz DMR systems.
Scott - Scan New England Webmaster

garys

#7 Post by garys » 21 Feb 2018 10:46

Allied was on Commtronics, but I believe that Republic is on ICE. Given that, I don't expect they'll be renewing on a system that is probably no longer active. Or won't be. MotoTrbo has several advantages over analog LTR. One is that two slots can be used on each frequency. In addition, AVL, ARS, text messaging, private messaging, and even encryption can all be programmed in. Since both ICE and Commtronics are networked, they operate more or less like a Smart Zone system. Even with the old analog Motorola 900 system, users had to remember to switch between towers when they moved around.

ICE forced (for lack of a better term) their 900 analog users to move to MotoTrbo. I don't know if any of the old system is still active, but I doubt it. When I'm searching around on the 900 system, I don't see any analog control channels, so if there are any around, they aren't in eastern MA or northern RI.
ecps92 wrote:BFI may not be a company anymore, but it's Parent Allied Waste was bought by Republic so it is likely Republic took over the licenses and is just waiting for Renewal to update.
Many Services wait till Renewal and/or a Major site change to update the FCC License Data

Also, back in the EARLY SMR Days [Specialized Mobile Radio Service] it was not uncommon to see each Company/USER being licensed.
Look back thru the old "Official Scanner Guides" and "Scanner Master" books and you will see lots of 800/900 Company licenses at each of the SMR Sites
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ecps92

#8 Post by ecps92 » 21 Feb 2018 11:06

A few ICE Analog CC's were active as of last FALL
garys wrote:Allied was on Commtronics, but I believe that Republic is on ICE. Given that, I don't expect they'll be renewing on a system that is probably no longer active. Or won't be. MotoTrbo has several advantages over analog LTR. One is that two slots can be used on each frequency. In addition, AVL, ARS, text messaging, private messaging, and even encryption can all be programmed in. Since both ICE and Commtronics are networked, they operate more or less like a Smart Zone system. Even with the old analog Motorola 900 system, users had to remember to switch between towers when they moved around.

ICE forced (for lack of a better term) their 900 analog users to move to MotoTrbo. I don't know if any of the old system is still active, but I doubt it. When I'm searching around on the 900 system, I don't see any analog control channels, so if there are any around, they aren't in eastern MA or northern RI.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

garys

#9 Post by garys » 21 Feb 2018 11:24

Were they carrying traffic or just waiting to be shut off?
ecps92 wrote:A few ICE Analog CC's were active as of last FALL

ecps92

#10 Post by ecps92 » 21 Feb 2018 11:27

Wasn't in a position to Monitor at the time[s] other than to Catch the Analog CC and it was usually a Weekend, so traffic would have been minimal
garys wrote:Were they carrying traffic or just waiting to be shut off?
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

deacon

#11 Post by deacon » 21 Feb 2018 14:10

I just caught JBCC cleanup crew communicating with range control on the Mashpee system. One hit in two days. It hardly seems worth it to keep the system running.

jeffkett

Re: Cape Cod LTR

#12 Post by jeffkett » 29 Mar 2018 21:24

Playing catch up down here on Da Cape...been a couple of tough months... In regards to the "old" Cape LTR, the last comms heard were on the Mashpee system, only two users...the Mashpee Water District and one of the users on Otis AFB....Sorry Joint Base Cape Cod. I've been playing with the various TRBO DMR etc since XMAS with the Whistler TRX-1. Must say its a chore. However many of the users from the old LTR just seemed to have vanished

jeffkett

Re: Cape Cod LTR

#13 Post by jeffkett » 04 Apr 2018 20:34

Hope not to mix apples and oranges, but the more I get involved with this DMR/TRBO/One Voice etc...I find that it gets to be very time consuming....
Any ways I looked at the One Voice list from "garys" and compared it to the Licensed frequencies on the Barnstable One Voice.. Unless I am way off , I would say that the system ID'ed as 171-56 would in fact be Barnstable. So far I've only seen one T/G on it with limited chatter. I've been trying to track down the Five Star Bus Service that Barnstable Schools uses. When they were First Student on 157.5600 all they did was chat? Jeff