USCG Towers

Discussion forum for scanning Cape Cod & the Islands, including Barnstable, Dukes, and Nantucket counties.
Mark SNE Moderator
SNE and Wiki Moderator

USCG Towers

#1 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 16 Feb 2019 16:42

CG Station Woods Hole and Cape Cod Canal (Sandwich) no longer have antenna towers on site. Is this a new trend? How do they communicate now without noticeable antennas ?
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Re: USCG Towers

#2 Post by ScanBoston » 16 Feb 2019 17:40

Many of their radios are are remote controlled up on hills or mountains. Perhaps that explains it?? Not sure.

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#3 Post by ScanBoston » 16 Feb 2019 17:47

Many of their radios are are remote controlled up on hills or mountains. Perhaps that explains it?? Not sure.

from https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtNds

RESCUE 21 DISTRESS SYSTEM COVERAGE
VHF Distress Coverage Charts
Charts showing predicted areas of VHF National Distress System coverage can be downloaded in .jpg format. Coverage plots assume a mobile transmitter power of 1 watt or greater at sea level over water.

Predicted charts were created by C3CEN Remote Missions Systems Product Line using open source software RF Signal Propagation, Loss, and Terrain (RF SPLAT) analysis tool. The software calculates path loss based on the NTIA Longley-Rice Irregular Terrain Model (ITM) as well as the new Irregular Terrain with Obstructions Model (ITWOM v3.0). Terrain data was modeled based on the high resolution 1 arc-sec obtained from NASA’s Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) flown in 2000. The coverage plots are displaying predicted regional coverage area based on line of sight between the Regional Fixed Facility VHF receive antenna and an antenna six feet above water level.
Digital Selective Calling
On 20 January 2015 the Coast Guard declared Sea Area A1 in certain areas off the coast of the United States based upon the performance of the Coast Guard's Rescue 21 System in accordance with applicable provisions of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974 (SOLAS). The Coast Guard defines Sea Area A1 as those areas where more than ninety percent of the area within 20 nautical miles seaward of the territorial baseline along the East, West and Gulf Coasts of the United States, excluding Alaska, and including Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands of the United States and the Northern Mariana Islands of Saipan, Tinian and Rota, is within coverage of Coast Guard very high frequency, or VHF Coast Stations that provide both a continuous watch for Digital Selective Calling, or DSC, distress alerts on Channel 70 and a capability to respond to distress alerts. That response would typically be on VHF Channel 16.
Coverage Plots
These coverage plots include distress watchkeeping on both channel 16 voice and channel 70 DSC.
First District
Sector Boston https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/images/marc ... ECBost.jpg
Sector Northern New England
Sector Southeastern New England
Sector New York
Sector Long Island Sound

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#4 Post by ecps92 » 17 Feb 2019 10:49

Thanks John, thought I had posted almost the same info yesterday, guess I never hit Submit.

The Cape Area neat-bytowers are:
Block Island and Warwick
Marthas Vineyard
Nantucket
Truro
Orleans
Bourne
Marshfield

Here is the map for Sector Southern New England
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/images/marc ... SECSNE.jpg
ScanBoston wrote:
16 Feb 2019 17:40
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Mark SNE Moderator
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#5 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 17 Feb 2019 19:35

So, in simple terms, antenna towers are no longer needed due to radios being controlled remotely? Are there remote antennas also? Sorry, I'm just not following the technical explanation.
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17

JBP

#6 Post by JBP » 17 Feb 2019 21:36

Mark SNE Moderator wrote:
17 Feb 2019 19:35
So, in simple terms, antenna towers are no longer needed due to radios being controlled remotely? Are there remote antennas also? Sorry, I'm just not following the technical explanation.
Yes, They have whole radio sites with base stations and antennas up on a tower. The sites are all connected back in via IP and connectivity between the Coast Guard stations and the various sites is set up depending on how their operations are distributed, this part I don't know anything about. I imagine the radio operator works off a dispatch console of some sort.
Jeremy
KB1REQ (DMR-MARC: 3125125)

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#7 Post by ecps92 » 18 Feb 2019 07:42

There was a PPT in the MV times, years ago during the aquisition phase of Rescue 21 that explained the ROIP, multiple Antennas
Satphone back-up for the T1 line, VHF and UHF LMR and VHF Marine, DF capability with other towers, the ability for another Sector to share
the tower and als the OTAR capability leveraging on another Federal Agency for KMF etc

It might even still be linked in an older thread here or on RR
Mark SNE Moderator wrote:
17 Feb 2019 19:35
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

sawyer100
Formerly CMPSA

#8 Post by sawyer100 » 21 Feb 2019 00:21

Mark:

Not sure if you saw my post from 10/24/17 { viewtopic.php?f=26&t=39859 }. This is a post about the "marine radio" side of of their comms. This particular post was about Martha's Vineyard. The company I worked for at that time, I was their two-way radio tech for the marine radios. The sites are called "high level" sites, which are sites on hill tops or radio towers. Read that thread first..

I worked at:
* Peaked Hill, Chilmark, Martha's Vineyard. USCG "Station Menemsha" {physically in Chilmark}.
* 300' tall guyed tower behind the Miacomet Golf Course, Somerset Rd, Nantucket. USCG "Station Brant Point".
* atop Provincetown Monument, High Pole Hill Rd, Provincetown. USCG "Station Provincetown".
* atop Newport Pell Bridge, Pell Bridge, Newport RI. USCG "Station Castle Hill".
* atop DCR Fire Lookout Tower (Signal Hill), Sandwich. USCG "Station Cape Cod Canal", Sandwich.
* Station Chatham (had a 60' tower behind their building). But they also were tied in to high level sites.
* USCG Sector Southeast New England, Woods Hole. There is "Station Woods Hole" and "Sector Southeast New England". This is the "regional office". This is the primary control center, which has access to all sites. The "Stations" are also wired in to the high level sites, which they dispatch for.

The previous posts are correct. The Rescue 21 project included all new equipment, which now does triangulation of radio signals. So some of my above sites got phased out, no longer needed. My 2017 post included pics of the old set up, and the new rescue 21 equipment and the special base station antennas they use. I think the uploaded pics don't work anymore.

The Stations all had Motorola dispatch consoles, phone circuits to the high level sites. Each one has their own base station antenna at the Station (either roof or tower out back) for local ops, and Federal Govt VHF freqs.

cut & paste - each high level site monitored Ch 16 & 1 of the following:
USCG marine radio system:
* Marine Ch 09 156.450 (calling, non-emergency).
* Marine Ch 16 156.800 (emergency/distress/calling).
* Marine Ch 21A 157.050 (USCG misc chat to boats, and vice versa).
* Marine Ch 22A 157.100 (USCG advisories to mariners).
* Marine Ch 83A 157.175 (USCG Auxiliary ops).

and their local Station base antenna would be on a 2ndary freq, and/or scanning say Ch 09 & Ch21A, etc.