Fall River Grand Prix OPA Boat Races

Discussion forum for scanning Southeastern Massachusetts, including Bristol and Plymouth counties.
trp

Fall River Grand Prix OPA Boat Races

#1 Post by trp » 26 Aug 2017 15:14

For those in the area of Fall River/Somerset the Fall River Grand Prix OPA (Offshore Powerboat Association) Boat Races are being held this weekend (August 26th and 27th). The races are being held in the Taunton River in the vicinity of the Braga Bridge/USS Massachusetts. VHF Marine radio traffic is greatly increased in the area due to all of the increased boating activity in the Taunton River. It might be worthwhile to scan all of the VHF Marine channels if you are in the area to see what you might stumble across.

Some notable VHF Marine channels in use that I have monitored are as follows:

Marine 21A (157.0500) is being used by the US Coast Guard PATCOM (Patrol Commander) to coordinate with the local Harbor Masters. I have heard Somerset, Fall River and Tiverton (RI) Harbor Masters as well as the Fall River PD Harbor Patrol operating on this 21A channel.

Marine 78A (156.9250) is being used by the "Race Control" to coordinate with the various boats entering and leaving the race course. What I discovered and found interesting is that the Race Control is transmitting on this 78A channel with a PL tone of 67.0 while the racing boats are transmitting in CSQ with no tone. PL tones are usually not transmitted on the VHF Marine channels.

If you are interested in the details you can find the complete weekend racing schedule here along with a map of the race course: http://www.oparacing.org/race7.html
trp

trp

Re: Fall River Grand Prix OPA Boat Races

#2 Post by trp » 25 Aug 2018 13:50

This is a 2018 update to my post from last year (see above). The Fall River (Massachusetts) Grand Prix OPA Boat Races are being held today (Saturday 08-25-2018) and tomorrow (Sunday 08-26-2018).

The Race Control is utilizing Marine 78A (156.9250) as they did last year to coordinate boats leaving and entering the race course.

The US Coast Guard PATCOM (Patrol Commander) and the various Harbor Masters and Harbor Patrol are utilizing Marine 17 (156.8500) for communications.

If you are in the area of the races it's probably a good idea to scan all of the VHF marine channels as you don't know what you might stumble upon with all of the increased boat traffic.
trp