Barnstable Schools Unlicensed Operation

Discussion forum for scanning Cape Cod & the Islands, including Barnstable, Dukes, and Nantucket counties.
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Barnstable Schools Unlicensed Operation

#1 Post by ecps92 » 01 Feb 2019 17:08

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 6018A1.pdf

On May 8, 2018, an Agent from the Boston Office of the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC’s
or Commission’s) Enforcement Bureau (Bureau) investigated a complaint that Barnstable High School in
Barnstable, Massachusetts was operating radio transmitting equipment without authorization. The Agent
found that Barnstable High School was operating a Motorola XPR-8400 repeater on the Land Mobile
Radio Service frequency 463.375 MHz at 744 West Main Street, Barnstable, Massachusetts. The agent
also found that Barnstable High School was operating Kenwood KPG-134D two-way radios programmed
with multiple frequencies in the Land Mobile Radio Service (LMRS), Family Radio Service (FRS), and
General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS).1

More info avail via the enforcement link
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Re: Barnstable Schools Unlicensed Operation

#2 Post by W1KNE » 01 Feb 2019 17:21

Now they (FCC) needs to head over to the intersection of Graham Road and Currant Road in Fall River. ;)
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

n1zyy

#3 Post by n1zyy » 01 Feb 2019 18:27

The Agent found that Barnstable High School was operating a Motorola XPR-8400 repeater on the Land Mobile Radio Service frequency 463.375 MHz
That's not a "We bought these walkie-talkies on Amazon and didn't know we needed a license" mistake. I don't know anyone who knows how to program a Trbo repeater that doesn't know that you need a license.
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#4 Post by ecps92 » 02 Feb 2019 08:59

I was thinking the same thing, while enjoying my SeaFood for dinner
W1KNE wrote:
01 Feb 2019 17:21
Now they (FCC) needs to head over to the intersection of Graham Road and Currant Road in Fall River. ;)
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#5 Post by W1KNE » 02 Feb 2019 10:38

n1zyy wrote:
01 Feb 2019 18:27
The Agent found that Barnstable High School was operating a Motorola XPR-8400 repeater on the Land Mobile Radio Service frequency 463.375 MHz
That's not a "We bought these walkie-talkies on Amazon and didn't know we needed a license" mistake. I don't know anyone who knows how to program a Trbo repeater that doesn't know that you need a license.
They're analog, and was confirmed as such by members here very recently. They had an XPR-8400 but using it in analog mode, apparently (It can do both TRBO and Analog). Any ham with some basic commercial equipment knowledge could set this up. Not saying a ham did, but it can happen. And BHS used to have a license on this frequency, so there is a chance this could've been setup by a radio shop using the expired license.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

wb1hbu

#6 Post by wb1hbu » 02 Feb 2019 12:11

Hello,

And who knows what they were using before the XPR-8400. It could be an instance of Barnstable High School still using the frequency after the license expired and having the repeater replaced at some point. I had a discussion at breakfast about how easy it is for the person responsible for FCC licensing to retire, or leave an organization, and nobody realizes that a FCC license is required plus license renewal is a task that occasionally needs doing. I have seen the same problem with software licenses when the person responsible leaves.

73 Eric

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#7 Post by ecps92 » 02 Feb 2019 13:02

Yes, it is in the Wiki [Analog] and the License expired in 2003
wb1hbu wrote:
02 Feb 2019 12:11
Hello,

And who knows what they were using before the XPR-8400. It could be an instance of Barnstable High School still using the frequency after the license expired and having the repeater replaced at some point. I had a discussion at breakfast about how easy it is for the person responsible for FCC licensing to retire, or leave an organization, and nobody realizes that a FCC license is required plus license renewal is a task that occasionally needs doing. I have seen the same problem with software licenses when the person responsible leaves.

73 Eric
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

cdgordon
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#8 Post by cdgordon » 04 Feb 2019 07:01

Passing on info I saw on RR:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... ey=4061164
back in legal operation it would seem.

chris

jeffkett
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#9 Post by jeffkett » 12 Feb 2019 21:57

They have been on this for many years...Perhaps an over sight on licensing ? The FRS portables are found in almost every school on the Cape ( and I am sure else where). { Also should this be moved to Cape Cod Forum } Jeff