Boston/State 700Mhz Overlay System

A forum for discussion of the many trunked radio systems in and around our listening area.
Message
Author
User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Boston/State 700Mhz Overlay System

#1 Post by garys » 21 Dec 2014 10:44

I thought there was another thread on this, but can't seem to find it.
As most of you know, this system is getting more active and coverage (at least to me) seems to be improving.

I have this programmed into my Pro 197 as well as my x36HP scanners. All of them are set to search. This morning I heard TG 3095, but the audio wasn't decoded. It was either Phase II or encrypted, I don't know which at this point. I have heard limited Phase II traffic with talk groups above 4xxxx. The traffic there was police activity and some of it might have been surveillance, so I won't list the exact TG. The two users also gave landmarks outside of Boston, so I don't know what agency it might have been.

I think it might be worth sitting on this system and giving a listen.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

CW115
Posts: 236
Joined: 30 Jan 2008 13:42
Location: Chelsea MA & Wells ME
Contact:

#2 Post by CW115 » 21 Dec 2014 11:34

I agree with your comments about reception improvement, there has recently been a noticeable improvement at my location which leads me to believe that the Revere site may now be active.

TG 3095 may be a Boston Fire TG; this is based on my observations that radios affiliating and using that TG also affiliate and use other TG's that are known to be BFD. BFD seems to have a number of TG's in that range; 3093, 3097 and 3099 all appear to be them. TG 3095 appears to not be simulcast on zone 1 as I have not recorded any activity on the corresponding analog TG 49520.

Gordon

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#3 Post by garys » 21 Dec 2014 11:41

That's interesting and now that you mention it, I seem to remember that BFD has some encrypted talk groups.

CW115 wrote:I agree with your comments about reception improvement, there has recently been a noticeable improvement at my location which leads me to believe that the Revere site may now be active.

TG 3095 may be a Boston Fire TG; this is based on my observations that radios affiliating and using that TG also affiliate and use other TG's that are known to be BFD. BFD seems to have a number of TG's in that range; 3093, 3097 and 3099 all appear to be them. TG 3095 appears to not be simulcast on zone 1 as I have not recorded any activity on the corresponding analog TG 49520.

Gordon
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

User avatar
N1BHH (Silent Key)
Posts: 3270
Joined: 04 Sep 2005 13:22
Location: Jackson Square, East Weymouth
Contact:

#4 Post by N1BHH (Silent Key) » 21 Dec 2014 15:01

I heard the techs talking about testing on the Revere site and I believe it may have been brought online, and possibly another. Late one night this past week also heard them talking about some interference issues and an antenna swap. I was drifting off to sleep, so didn't catch anything more particular.
CLYDE - N1BHH - A KNOW-CODE AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR / WQWJ272 - GMRS
Pro94 Pro106 Pro164 Pro197 Pro2006 Pro2015 Pro2021 Pro2055
Yaesu's FT60R, FT2900R & FT8800R, Icom IC735, Motorola MTX9250 (900 MHz.)

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4910
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#5 Post by ecps92 » 22 Dec 2014 06:51

3095 is suspected to be Boston Fire OPS 2 and is ENC.
garys wrote:I thought there was another thread on this, but can't seem to find it.
As most of you know, this system is getting more active and coverage (at least to me) seems to be improving.

I have this programmed into my Pro 197 as well as my x36HP scanners. All of them are set to search. This morning I heard TG 3095, but the audio wasn't decoded. It was either Phase II or encrypted, I don't know which at this point. I have heard limited Phase II traffic with talk groups above 4xxxx. The traffic there was police activity and some of it might have been surveillance, so I won't list the exact TG. The two users also gave landmarks outside of Boston, so I don't know what agency it might have been.

I think it might be worth sitting on this system and giving a listen.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4910
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#6 Post by ecps92 » 22 Dec 2014 06:52

Yes for the ENC
Logistics
Ops 1
Ops 2
Comm Techs
garys wrote:That's interesting and now that you mention it, I seem to remember that BFD has some encrypted talk groups.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#7 Post by garys » 03 Feb 2015 17:27

There are some Phase II talk groups popping up in the 4xxx range. Some of them are encrypted, some are in the clear. It's possible that the same talk groups are being used both in the clear and encrypted. I've noticed this while driving, so I didn't have a chance to write them down.

Not a lot of activity, but some .
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

wb1hbu
Posts: 949
Joined: 08 Oct 2005 21:38
Location: Lynn, Essex Co.

#8 Post by wb1hbu » 04 Feb 2015 08:34

Hello,

I noticed a number of encrypted transmissions on 3097 this morning. At least some were Phase 2 and was the first time I noticed the PT0 and PT1 tags on the 536.

I receive the system much better now that the Revere site is active.

73 Eric

CW115
Posts: 236
Joined: 30 Jan 2008 13:42
Location: Chelsea MA & Wells ME
Contact:

#9 Post by CW115 » 04 Feb 2015 08:39

When I have been running Unitrunker the most activity seems to be on 4153 with some activity on 4145 and 4177. A good amount of activity on 4153 seemed to be encrypted at first but seeing more in the clear recently. Activity is still pretty sporadic can go a few days or more with no Phase II activity.

Gordon

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4910
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#10 Post by ecps92 » 04 Feb 2015 09:31

Eric, when you can, Please do a submission on the Revere info
Confirm CC, Voice, Site #, Thanks

Glad to have Confirmation it's up and running.
Now for the others...
wb1hbu wrote:Hello,

I noticed a number of encrypted transmissions on 3097 this morning. At least some were Phase 2 and was the first time I noticed the PT0 and PT1 tags on the 536.

I receive the system much better now that the Revere site is active.

73 Eric
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#11 Post by garys » 16 Jul 2016 13:12

Resurrecting this old thread. I've been hearing 67x Talk Groups (DCR) on the system over the past few weeks. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but that seems new to me.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

kenny
Posts: 1252
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 18:06
Location: Randolph, MA

#12 Post by kenny » 16 Jul 2016 14:00

garys wrote:Resurrecting this old thread. I've been hearing 67x Talk Groups (DCR) on the system over the past few weeks. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but that seems new to me.
I logged quite a few of them over the Independence Day Holiday,
657 North 1
661 Harbor 1
663 Harbor 2
665 South 1
667 South 2
671 Field Ops
673 TAC

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#13 Post by garys » 29 Jan 2017 15:09

I heard a brief conversation on TG 37. Not enough to figure out who it was or where they were, although it might have been someone on or near Boston Harbor.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4910
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#14 Post by ecps92 » 29 Jan 2017 17:19

http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title=Massport
garys wrote:I heard a brief conversation on TG 37. Not enough to figure out who it was or where they were, although it might have been someone on or near Boston Harbor.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#15 Post by garys » 29 Jan 2017 18:56

It's interesting that it showed up on the 700Mhz Overlay system. Or rather, it's odd.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#16 Post by garys » 15 Feb 2017 14:26

For those of you who listen to this Zone and use the x36HP scanners, what threshold settings do you use? I'm currently running with Manual and 9, but I'm not sure that's optimal. I have two sites set up on the system. One only has the control channels programmed in and is set to Automatic. The other is programmed with all of the currently known frequencies and set to Manual, and 9. I'm testing to see if one performs better than the other, but the results are inconclusive so far.

I've also been running the system on DSD+ and find that I hear more traffic on that.

The x36HP is set to ID search, so that's not a variable.

If anyone has any insight into this, I'd appreciate hearing from them.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#17 Post by garys » 27 Jul 2017 23:50

I heard BAPERN Central on 2539 tonight. At least I think it was BAPERN 2 Central. Boston talking to Brookline about something going on near the Fenway. The Wiki shows it as 3149, so I don't know if it was that channel or something else. I'll program it in a scanner and see if what else I hear and if I can confirm what channel it actually is. I have a list that shows it twice, once on 3149 and once on 2539.

I run the 700 Mhz in ID Search mode, which is why I picked it up.

ETA: Confirmed BAPERN 2 Central. I listened to several broadcasts and traffic was on 2539, but not 3149. Wiki updated.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4910
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#18 Post by ecps92 » 28 Jul 2017 07:03

Both are Central
Unknown who they belong to. MSP, Cambridge or Boston

[WAG]

2539 [40624] belongs to the Commonwealth
3149 [50384] belongs to Boston

We know Cambridge Patches Bapern 3, but has anyone found Central ??
11xx [?] belongs to Cambridge
garys wrote:I heard BAPERN Central on 2539 tonight. At least I think it was BAPERN 2 Central. Boston talking to Brookline about something going on near the Fenway. The Wiki shows it as 3149, so I don't know if it was that channel or something else. I'll program it in a scanner and see if what else I hear and if I can confirm what channel it actually is. I have a list that shows it twice, once on 3149 and once on 2539.

I run the 700 Mhz in ID Search mode, which is why I picked it up.

ETA: Confirmed BAPERN 2 Central. I listened to several broadcasts and traffic was on 2539, but not 3149. Wiki updated.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#19 Post by garys » 28 Jul 2017 08:36

What we do know is that one is on the 700 Mhz Overlay and the other is not. Even though that list shows all P25 talk groups on the MSP P25 system, it really doesn't. Which is part of the problem with the way the Wiki (and the RRDB) show the MSP P25 system. All of the P25 systems in MA share the same Astro Core, but they are not all part of the MSP system. The MSP P25 system consists of the Troop B sites, and the 700 Mhz Overlay. MassPort, Worcester, and Cambridge are not part of the MSP System.

We should rethink how we list information because it causes some confusion. We see posts here and at RR asking of people in Holyoke can listen to the 700Mhz overlay, and others asking if they can hear Troop B in Newburyport.
ecps92 wrote:Both are Central
Unknown who they belong to. MSP, Cambridge or Boston
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4910
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#20 Post by ecps92 » 28 Jul 2017 08:53

I've logged only 3149 [50384] on the 700, which I was actively monitoring during the Tall Ships.
So both can appear on the 700

As to what Sites/Zones it can appear on, well only the Radio Techs/SysAdmin can confirm that
and the accuracy of that info is only good on that day, as they can reconfigure the system regularly.

I've heard B Troop traffic in [Zone 5] Eastern Mass from time to time. Not Regularly, however it has been a few years.


garys wrote:What we do know is that one is on the 700 Mhz Overlay and the other is not. Even though that list shows all P25 talk groups on the MSP P25 system, it really doesn't. Which is part of the problem with the way the Wiki (and the RRDB) show the MSP P25 system. All of the P25 systems in MA share the same Astro Core, but they are not all part of the MSP system. The MSP P25 system consists of the Troop B sites, and the 700 Mhz Overlay. MassPort, Worcester, and Cambridge are not part of the MSP System.

We should rethink how we list information because it causes some confusion. We see posts here and at RR asking of people in Holyoke can listen to the 700Mhz overlay, and others asking if they can hear Troop B in Newburyport.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
jrm3607
Posts: 120
Joined: 21 Aug 2009 22:07
Location: Metro Boston
Contact:

#21 Post by jrm3607 » 28 Jul 2017 10:37

ecps92 wrote:Both are Central
Unknown who they belong to. MSP, Cambridge or Boston

[WAG]

2539 [40624] belongs to the Commonwealth
3149 [50384] belongs to Boston

We know Cambridge Patches Bapern 3, but has anyone found Central ??
11xx [?] belongs to Cambridge
1113 is Cambridge BAPERN 3
1115 is Cambridge BAPERN Central

I noticed today 404624/2539 appears to be coming across Zone 1 as well as the 700, usually only 50384 comes up on Zone 1. I'm assuming they are trying to consolidate both the Boston and State patches into one channel, but only time will tell if this is temporary or not.

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4910
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#22 Post by ecps92 » 28 Jul 2017 11:35

Thanks... Clyde and I heard 1115 way to back to 2012, forgot to Search by the TG
as it is in the Wiki long ago :) Do they have a BAPERN 4 Patch ??

jrm3607 wrote:1113 is Cambridge BAPERN 3
1115 is Cambridge BAPERN Central

I noticed today 404624/2539 appears to be coming across Zone 1 as well as the 700, usually only 50384 comes up on Zone 1. I'm assuming they are trying to consolidate both the Boston and State patches into one channel, but only time will tell if this is temporary or not.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
jrm3607
Posts: 120
Joined: 21 Aug 2009 22:07
Location: Metro Boston
Contact:

#23 Post by jrm3607 » 28 Jul 2017 12:38

ecps92 wrote:Thanks... Clyde and I heard 1115 way to back to 2012, forgot to Search by the TG
as it is in the Wiki long ago :) Do they have a BAPERN 4 Patch ??
That would be negative on a Cambridge 11xx patch to BAPERN 4, however it does appare they have access to the 25xx P25 patches

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3262
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#24 Post by garys » 28 Jul 2017 13:14

Consolidation makes sense since they went through the effort to develop one master list of TG numbers across all of the MA Motorola trunking systems. Since being able to talk across nodes (if thet's the right term) on the controller seems to be possible, it makes sense not to have multiple TGs for what is the same channel.

Besides, it will make scanner programming easier. And we all know that's what is really important. :D id



jrm3607 wrote:1113 is Cambridge BAPERN 3
1115 is Cambridge BAPERN Central

I noticed today 404624/2539 appears to be coming across Zone 1 as well as the 700, usually only 50384 comes up on Zone 1. I'm assuming they are trying to consolidate both the Boston and State patches into one channel, but only time will tell if this is temporary or not.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

jbella
Posts: 244
Joined: 12 Oct 2005 11:24
Location: Gardner

#25 Post by jbella » 28 Jul 2017 21:08

Not sure if others do it the same way, but in my #36's the Mass P25 system, is 1 system. I just punch sites in and out, and keep the talk groups for Cambridge FD, Massport, Worcester FD etc always plugged in. If you can't get them, there's no harm.

Post Reply