Cap+ 460.100

A forum for discussion of the many trunked radio systems in and around our listening area.
garys

Cap+ 460.100

#1 Post by garys » 29 Jul 2017 15:52

Someone has a Cap+ system running on 460.100. CC 10. Operating as rest channel right now, with OTA of 1/2. No audio as of yet, but weekends are slow. It seems odd because this is a pretty heavily used frequency. Last I knew UMass Boston police were on it, Halifax is licensed, as is Fire District 14.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

garys

#2 Post by garys » 29 Jul 2017 19:56

I see ecps92 has done an update to the Wiki. Halifax DPW makes sense, although I didn't pick the emissions data up from the FCC website.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ecps92

#3 Post by ecps92 » 30 Jul 2017 06:22

It was under Plymouth Muni, just never made it to the TRBO Page.

Guess we now have a vote for Duplicate pages :)
garys wrote:I see ecps92 has done an update to the Wiki. Halifax DPW makes sense, although I didn't pick the emissions data up from the FCC website.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys

#4 Post by garys » 30 Jul 2017 09:22

The opposite, Bill. It shows that it's difficult and confusing to maintain two different lists with similar data. One always seems to be ahead of the other.
ecps92 wrote:It was under Plymouth Muni, just never made it to the TRBO Page.

Guess we now have a vote for Duplicate pages :)

ecps92

#5 Post by ecps92 » 30 Jul 2017 09:39

As I've said before, a search by Freq will generally find all [if there] and this one was from last winter.

As stated before and before and before.... It is not as confusing as people make it out to be.

The key to the Wiki is, when looking to search by FREQ [out to the 4th digit, unless 700 and true 6.25 narrowband] you will find them if they have been submitted [another key]

When looking by a name, well all depends on the original person who did the input
then we have the easy-out of looking under the known county...
garys wrote:The opposite, Bill. It shows that it's difficult and confusing to maintain two different lists with similar data. One always seems to be ahead of the other.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

W1KNE

#6 Post by W1KNE » 30 Jul 2017 19:23

ecps92 wrote:As I've said before, a search by Freq will generally find all [if there] and this one was from last winter.

As stated before and before and before.... It is not as confusing as people make it out to be.

The key to the Wiki is, when looking to search by FREQ [out to the 4th digit, unless 700 and true 6.25 narrowband] you will find them if they have been submitted [another key]

When looking by a name, well all depends on the original person who did the input
then we have the easy-out of looking under the known county...
But Bill, you need to understand, not everyone understands it like we do either. You need to make it as simple as possible for the average user to navigate and find the frequencies.
Sometimes it's easy to forget we need to think about the common everyday end user, not just technical people like you, me, Gary, Scott, etc...
Having multiple pages is a glutton for having incorrect information on a page, which I know Scott doesn't like what-so-ever. These pages that duplicate general information from the master page are subject to that. As stated in the other thread, it makes sense to have a "technology" discovery page when a new one is launched or a new receiver mode is launched. But after it's well established, such as DMR or P25, those pages need to be blown away. As you said, you can search for who uses what. It may make life easier to add a column to the pages for "mode", P25 = P25, ANA = Analog, DMR = DMR, NXN = NXDN, OTR = Other, etc... Maybe that's the answer so you can still find the results you want via search instead. Then there's no duplicates anywhere. (AND, if we added a mode column, we could use it to indicate Encryption by adding an E to the end. i.e. DMR E.)

As far as the WIKI search goes, that's a huge flaw in media-wiki that just downright sucks. I host my own very heavily built up wiki and you can't do partial searches there either. The ability to not do a partial search is a major flaw in the design of the wiki that has caught me as well. So until there is a fix for it, we just need to remind everyone that they need to always search out to the 4th digit, rounded to 0 for larger spacing. I.e. 460.1000 vs 460.1.

garys

#7 Post by garys » 30 Jul 2017 20:49

Mike, I just sat down to write essentially the same post as you put up. You explain it quite well. I'll only add that a majority of our users probably want to find out what the agencies in their town and some surrounding towns use, and what kind of scanner they need to hear it. So, while I was searching for 460.100, someone living in Halifax is going to look for .Halifax Public Works". There are slightly over 1,400 members here. There are maybe 50 who post on a regular basis, and an even smaller group that does the frequency and Wiki updates.

For this to be useful for the majority of members, it has to be simple and produce useful data. "MotoTrbo stations in our area" might be helpful to us, but it's far more important to have the county and town listings up to date.

And yes Wiki search is bad, but then again so is VBulletin search.
W1KNE wrote:But Bill, you need to understand, not everyone understands it like we do either. You need to make it as simple as possible for the average user to navigate and find the frequencies.
Sometimes it's easy to forget we need to think about the common everyday end user, not just technical people like you, me, Gary, Scott, etc...
Having multiple pages is a glutton for having incorrect information on a page, which I know Scott doesn't like what-so-ever. These pages that duplicate general information from the master page are subject to that. As stated in the other thread, it makes sense to have a "technology" discovery page when a new one is launched or a new receiver mode is launched. But after it's well established, such as DMR or P25, those pages need to be blown away. As you said, you can search for who uses what. It may make life easier to add a column to the pages for "mode", P25 = P25, ANA = Analog, DMR = DMR, NXN = NXDN, OTR = Other, etc... Maybe that's the answer so you can still find the results you want via search instead. Then there's no duplicates anywhere. (AND, if we added a mode column, we could use it to indicate Encryption by adding an E to the end. i.e. DMR E.)

As far as the WIKI search goes, that's a huge flaw in media-wiki that just downright sucks. I host my own very heavily built up wiki and you can't do partial searches there either. The ability to not do a partial search is a major flaw in the design of the wiki that has caught me as well. So until there is a fix for it, we just need to remind everyone that they need to always search out to the 4th digit, rounded to 0 for larger spacing. I.e. 460.1000 vs 460.1.

W1KNE

#8 Post by W1KNE » 31 Jul 2017 08:53

garys wrote:I'll only add that a majority of our users probably want to find out what the agencies in their town and some surrounding towns use, and what kind of scanner they need to hear it.
Which goes to the idea that I had about having a *single* county page, with each town having it's own table. Police, Fire, EMS, DPW, all on one page. If I am John from Halifax, and want to program my scanner, I don't like going back and fourth between pages to find one, then the next (plus I could miss one).

garys

#9 Post by garys » 31 Jul 2017 09:49

There is more than a little bit of merit to that idea. The problem being it's going to be incredibly time consuming to do that. I don't know if we have enough active Wiki "staff" to do that in a reasonable time frame.
W1KNE wrote:Which goes to the idea that I had about having a *single* county page, with each town having it's own table. Police, Fire, EMS, DPW, all on one page. If I am John from Halifax, and want to program my scanner, I don't like going back and fourth between pages to find one, then the next (plus I could miss one).

KB1FJR

#10 Post by KB1FJR » 31 Jul 2017 17:18

Maybe put a link for the DMR towns. Like what is done for the Worcester section in worcester county that links to the worcester msp p25 page.