Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

A forum for discussion of the many trunked radio systems in and around our listening area.
Post Reply
Message
Author
TheDoza79
Posts: 63
Joined: 28 Jul 2016 10:33
Location: Salem, NH

Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#1 Post by TheDoza79 » 21 Sep 2018 11:39

WPZU439 (Dispatch Communciations) with a site in Georgetown
Frequencies:
471.850
471.925
472.925: Heard Trinity EMS traffic, dispatching to Groveland
484.550: Heard Trinity EMS traffic, dispatching to Plaistow, Atkinson, Hampstead
484.575

System appears to be LTR but I’m not good with that software used to break everything down and all.was wondering if anyone with experience with it can confirm.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3160
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#2 Post by garys » 21 Sep 2018 12:49

There's not a lot on this system on the forum or in the Wiki. Someone who is up that way, or at least within range, will have to figure out the LCN and TG IDs before we'll know much.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3160
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#3 Post by garys » 25 Sep 2018 14:08

I moved this thread to the Area Trunked Radio forum and renamed it.

I programmed the frequencies into my x36HP scanner as an LTR system. The tower is located on Bald Pate Hill in Georgetown and has a good footprint north and west of Boston. I was in the Burlington area this morning and left the scanner running in LCN Finder mode for a couple of hours.

Here is what I found,

Freq LCN
0471.850000
0471.925000 5
0472.925000
0484.550000 9
0484.575000

Once I entered the two found LCNs and resumed scanning I started to pick up some TG IDs, but not enough to figure out who they are. I'll be driving through the area twice next week, so I'll run LCN Finder again to figure out any remaining information.

After that, I'll add the information to the Dispatch Comm/Metro Repeater Wiki page.

Of course, if anyone closer is interested in doing some research, I'll be happy for the information.

n1zyy
Posts: 45
Joined: 29 May 2017 20:56
Location: Lowell, MA

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#4 Post by n1zyy » 25 Sep 2018 17:52

Nice find! For some reason I thought only County Comms was up there. Their system is just a little above the noise here, but I'll try to park a scanner there and see what I can find.

Going to start another post in the coming days about what's still active, but I don't believe the Boston site is fully empty, just very under-utilized. I had assumed the plan would be to gradually move people off of the Waltham system (now in Boston at reduced power) to Boston (which is licensed for a few hundred Watts ERP), but it almost seems like the opposite is happening.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3160
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#5 Post by garys » 25 Sep 2018 19:21

TheDoza found the original stuff, I just did a little research and set it up in my x36HP and ran LCN analyze.

The County Comms NXDN system up there is getting pretty busy as well. I was getting that pretty well for the past few days, but can't receive it right now. Framingham doesn't seem nearly as busy.

The "Waltham" system seems to be in Boston, and coverage it pretty good, especially north of Boston. I can hear it down here in Stoughton with no problem. I have the Boston stie, but not in ID Search mode, so there could be traffic that I'm just not hearing.

The trend seems to be to move LTR analog users over to NXDN or DMR. DMR is good for the operators as they almost double the number of voice channels. Plus, they can add text messaging, AVL, and other data formats. NXDN doesn't have two voice channels per frequency, but the other features are available. I discovered that one of the cab companies operating on the CC NXDN site uses AVL.

BTW, you're blog post about Bald Pate Hill was very helpful in sorting some of this out.
n1zyy wrote:
25 Sep 2018 17:52
Nice find! For some reason I thought only County Comms was up there. Their system is just a little above the noise here, but I'll try to park a scanner there and see what I can find.

Going to start another post in the coming days about what's still active, but I don't believe the Boston site is fully empty, just very under-utilized. I had assumed the plan would be to gradually move people off of the Waltham system (now in Boston at reduced power) to Boston (which is licensed for a few hundred Watts ERP), but it almost seems like the opposite is happening.

User avatar
ScanBoston
Posts: 3223
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Boston Area
Contact:

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#6 Post by ScanBoston » 26 Sep 2018 06:12

Perfection Towing out of Watertown is one of the users on this system. Also Pro Tech Towing in Waltham. The Waltham site moved to the Pru when the Antico tower came down after a battle with the city.

n1zyy
Posts: 45
Joined: 29 May 2017 20:56
Location: Lowell, MA

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#7 Post by n1zyy » 07 Oct 2018 10:43

I'm sometimes surprised that people read the inane ramblings on that blog. ;) Glad you found it helpful!

I have a big hill between me and Georgetown, so signals from there come in rtaher weak here. I put the five frequencies here into my scanner and ran LCN Finder during the day yesterday. It pretty quickly found one, but never found any others. The only hit was 484.55 as LCN 9. I put in LCN 5 as you described as well, even though the scanner never found it, and then ran Discovery overnight. (Admittedly, Saturday night is probably not the most happening time.)

The only match I got from 9pm last night to 10am today is 0-09-101, an EMS provider. I didn't specifically hear them ID as Trinity, but the Fleetsync IDs and previous comments in this thread make me suspect it was. Heard EMS dispatches to Danville and what sounded like "Boss Town," but was probably Plaistow. Curiously, I didn't hear an 0-09-253 CW ID as I'd expect; the other DIspatch sites do that. Never heard any 0-05-xxx stuff either.

I'm a bit surprised I didn't hear any activity on LCN 5, which both of you heard the other day. They're all licensed for the same power on the same antenna, so I'd be surprised if one was markedly weaker than the other. Weird! I'll have to try giving this a listen during a workday to see what else is up there.

The County Comms LTR site up there has some interfering signal on the primary home channel here in Lowell, which makes it tough to listen to as it'll frequently stomp on voice activity.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3160
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#8 Post by garys » 07 Oct 2018 17:27

I can't claim any credit, it just popped up on the search. ;) It did explain some of the topography around the area a bit.

I'll put 0-09-101 in and see if I can figure out who that is. I can get pretty good reception when I'm in the area of Burlington and north. Or, I can find a site with good elevation north of Big Blue and should be able to get decent signal.

I had to drive up and back to Portland, ME mid week. As I mentioned, I set my 436HP up on the truck in analyze mode. I let it run that way all the way up and back. Once I was north of Boston I started to find LCNs, but only found the same two. I may have to do another trip this Wednesday. If so, I'll run Analyze on the way up and Discover or maybe just let it search on the way back.

My suspicion is that LTR systems are being phased out in favor of digital systems. Once enough users are moved, frequencies are re allocated to newer systems. Eventually, the legacy LTR systems are shut down. That's what happened on a large scale with ICE moving from ICE 900 Motorola analog to MotoTrbo, and on a smaller scale with Commtronics moving from 900 LTR to MotoTrbo.

It's actually very rare in my experience for private services to ID by name. Cataldo does when the do the FCC ID thing, but since the frequencies are well known, it's not very instructive. On trunked systems, it's extremely rare. I generally have to listen a lot and figure it out by context. Rarely, I'll be near a hospital and hear a unit call off and then see the unit arrive at the hospital. I think someone recently IDed Access Ambulance because the dispatcher said it over the air.

Even though all transmitters in a trunk system at a particular site doesn't mean that they all transmit at the same power. If you watch various frequencies on trunked sites on DSD+ or SDR#, you'll see power variations between the transmitters. One frequency on the Quincy MotoTrbo site was way down on power for about six months until it was repaired. The Commtronics UHF trunk in Boston has one frequency that is weaker than the other two.
n1zyy wrote:
07 Oct 2018 10:43
I'm sometimes surprised that people read the inane ramblings on that blog. ;) Glad you found it helpful!

I have a big hill between me and Georgetown, so signals from there come in rtaher weak here. I put the five frequencies here into my scanner and ran LCN Finder during the day yesterday. It pretty quickly found one, but never found any others. The only hit was 484.55 as LCN 9. I put in LCN 5 as you described as well, even though the scanner never found it, and then ran Discovery overnight. (Admittedly, Saturday night is probably not the most happening time.)

The only match I got from 9pm last night to 10am today is 0-09-101, an EMS provider. I didn't specifically hear them ID as Trinity, but the Fleetsync IDs and previous comments in this thread make me suspect it was. Heard EMS dispatches to Danville and what sounded like "Boss Town," but was probably Plaistow. Curiously, I didn't hear an 0-09-253 CW ID as I'd expect; the other DIspatch sites do that. Never heard any 0-05-xxx stuff either.

I'm a bit surprised I didn't hear any activity on LCN 5, which both of you heard the other day. They're all licensed for the same power on the same antenna, so I'd be surprised if one was markedly weaker than the other. Weird! I'll have to try giving this a listen during a workday to see what else is up there.

The County Comms LTR site up there has some interfering signal on the primary home channel here in Lowell, which makes it tough to listen to as it'll frequently stomp on voice activity.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3160
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#9 Post by garys » 10 Oct 2018 11:59

I ran Analyze on my way up to Portland and Discover on the way back. No different to the LCNs, just two.

Discovery revealed the following,

0-09-101 is definitely a EMS provider. I heard a unit dispatched to a MVC in Plaistow and a couple of other calls whose locations I didn't get.

0-09-30 and 0-09-31 are the same cab/van/shuttle service. It's an odd arrangement. The base dispatches on -30 and the mobiles reply on -31. On a guess, this is set up so that the mobiles can't hear each other. The mobiles are set to transmit only on -31, but can't receive. The base can dispatch on -30 and the mobiles receive on that channel, but don't hear each other because -31 is muted on their radios. Sort of like of cabs used to operate on the 452/457 frequencies.

That's all I heard in about two hours of listening.

I'll try at some point to do some research and figure out if that's Trinity or someone else.

n1zyy
Posts: 45
Joined: 29 May 2017 20:56
Location: Lowell, MA

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#10 Post by n1zyy » 11 Oct 2018 11:44

For some reason I'm still not receiving LCN 05 here. I'll check my programming in case I fat-fingered a frequency instead of that repeater being lower power.

I ran Discovery overnight, and got the same 3 talkgroups you did. Though this was just a 12-hour overnight run.

I'm reasonably confident 0-09-101 is Trinity. Also heard a call to Atkinson. https://trinityems.com/ lists Atkinson, Danville, and Plaistow as areas Trinity serves. And I swear I recognize one of the dispatcher's voices. Also a call to Bradford, which is a apparently subset of Haverhill.

Interesting note -- I sometimes hear ambulances or paramedics responding, but often only hear the dispatcher. I wonder if there's another frequency in use somewhere that the units respond on, and this is mostly dispatch traffic.

For 0-09-030/031, these largely sound like patient transports to doctor's appointments; people in wheelchairs transported to doctor's appointments, etc. I don't have a large sample size here, though.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3160
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#11 Post by garys » 11 Oct 2018 13:31

I've run LCN Finder three times and the results have been the same. I'm beginning to think that TheDoza fat fingered the hit on that 472 frequency and it's actually 471 instead.

I'm going up to NH tomorrow and if I think of it, I'll run it again, but at this point I think those are the only two active frequencies. It's possible that all five of the frequencies are still programmed into the trunk system, but with only three active users the system rarely, if ever, busy enough to use more than two frequencies.

You're probably right about 030/031. It's sometimes hard to tell on limited traffic exactly what's going on which is why I wrote it as cab/van/shuttle. It could well be a wheel chair van service not affiliated with an ambulance company.
n1zyy wrote:
11 Oct 2018 11:44
For some reason I'm still not receiving LCN 05 here. I'll check my programming in case I fat-fingered a frequency instead of that repeater being lower power.

I ran Discovery overnight, and got the same 3 talkgroups you did. Though this was just a 12-hour overnight run.

I'm reasonably confident 0-09-101 is Trinity. Also heard a call to Atkinson. https://trinityems.com/ lists Atkinson, Danville, and Plaistow as areas Trinity serves. And I swear I recognize one of the dispatcher's voices. Also a call to Bradford, which is a apparently subset of Haverhill.

Interesting note -- I sometimes hear ambulances or paramedics responding, but often only hear the dispatcher. I wonder if there's another frequency in use somewhere that the units respond on, and this is mostly dispatch traffic.

For 0-09-030/031, these largely sound like patient transports to doctor's appointments; people in wheelchairs transported to doctor's appointments, etc. I don't have a large sample size here, though.

MASSBUSMARK
Posts: 141
Joined: 16 Oct 2005 10:33
Location: Lowell MA

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#12 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 13 Oct 2018 12:42

Talk group 0-09-101 is indeed Trinity EMS, they were awarded the Haverhill 911 contract several years ago replacing the previous provider AMR , they picked the Groveland and Southern NH contracts when AMR closed their Haverhill base a couple of years later. Trinity's Haverhill area/Southern NH EMS and chair van operations used to be on another LTR system on Baldpate Hill in Georgetown. I have it in my scanner as Essex County Communications. I'll have to check this system out as well to try to ID any other users on the system.
Mark

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3160
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#13 Post by garys » 13 Oct 2018 13:29

Thanks, Mark. I'll do an update to the Dispatch/Metro Wiki page with the information.

If you can post the information on Essex County Communications, I'll add it to my scanner for the next time I'm up that way.

Gary
MASSBUSMARK wrote:
13 Oct 2018 12:42
Talk group 0-09-101 is indeed Trinity EMS, they were awarded the Haverhill 911 contract several years ago replacing the previous provider AMR , they picked the Groveland and Southern NH contracts when AMR closed their Haverhill base a couple of years later. Trinity's Haverhill area/Southern NH EMS and chair van operations used to be on another LTR system on Baldpate Hill in Georgetown. I have it in my scanner as Essex County Communications. I'll have to check this system out as well to try to ID any other users on the system.
Mark

n1zyy
Posts: 45
Joined: 29 May 2017 20:56
Location: Lowell, MA

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#14 Post by n1zyy » 14 Oct 2018 12:50

MASSBUSMARK wrote:
13 Oct 2018 12:42
Talk group 0-09-101 is indeed Trinity EMS, they were awarded the Haverhill 911 contract several years ago replacing the previous provider AMR , they picked the Groveland and Southern NH contracts when AMR closed their Haverhill base a couple of years later. Trinity's Haverhill area/Southern NH EMS and chair van operations used to be on another LTR system on Baldpate Hill in Georgetown. I have it in my scanner as Essex County Communications. I'll have to check this system out as well to try to ID any other users on the system.
Mark
Could Essex County Communications be the same as County Communications? http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title ... ations_LTR

I think some of their stuff has gone Nexedge, but last I listened there was still the LTR system as well.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3160
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#15 Post by garys » 14 Oct 2018 13:40

Could be. I've heard Northeast Regional Ambulance on that system, but not Trinity. I should probably put it into ID Search mode in my scanner and see if anything pops up. It's another system up in that area of the state where I don't go all that often.

That said, UHF coverage from Bald Pate Hill is very good. I can't get the LTR systems at my home, but occasionally I can get the NXDN system up there. I can get the both of the LTR systems in my truck if I'm just a few miles up the road. North and West of Boston everything comes in pretty well.
n1zyy wrote:
14 Oct 2018 12:50
MASSBUSMARK wrote:
13 Oct 2018 12:42
Talk group 0-09-101 is indeed Trinity EMS, they were awarded the Haverhill 911 contract several years ago replacing the previous provider AMR , they picked the Groveland and Southern NH contracts when AMR closed their Haverhill base a couple of years later. Trinity's Haverhill area/Southern NH EMS and chair van operations used to be on another LTR system on Baldpate Hill in Georgetown. I have it in my scanner as Essex County Communications. I'll have to check this system out as well to try to ID any other users on the system.
Mark
Could Essex County Communications be the same as County Communications? http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title ... ations_LTR

I think some of their stuff has gone Nexedge, but last I listened there was still the LTR system as well.

MASSBUSMARK
Posts: 141
Joined: 16 Oct 2005 10:33
Location: Lowell MA

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#16 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 15 Oct 2018 21:00

Regarding the Essex County Communications/William Quimby LTR on Baldpate Hill in Georgetown, the only active talkgroups I've heard over the past few months are:
1-02-141 Northeast Regional Ambulance
1-02-155 Durham School Services Kingston NH (Special Ed Buses)
1-02-175 Durham School Services Fremont NH (School Buses)
There were other users in the past as shown in the Wiki, but have likely gone DMR or NXDN or elsewhere, As has been confirmed, Trinity EMS, which was once here with TG 1-02-127, moved to the Dispatch Communications LTR on Baldpate.
Mark

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3160
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Dispatch Commmunications Georgetown

#17 Post by garys » 16 Oct 2018 16:13

Thanks for clarifying that Mark. I've never seen a reference to "Essex County Communications", but have seen "County Communications."

I'll go into the private ambulance Wiki page and remove the Trinity information as they are, as you point out, on Dispatch Communications.

Gary
MASSBUSMARK wrote:
15 Oct 2018 21:00
Regarding the Essex County Communications/William Quimby LTR on Baldpate Hill in Georgetown, the only active talkgroups I've heard over the past few months are:
1-02-141 Northeast Regional Ambulance
1-02-155 Durham School Services Kingston NH (Special Ed Buses)
1-02-175 Durham School Services Fremont NH (School Buses)
There were other users in the past as shown in the Wiki, but have likely gone DMR or NXDN or elsewhere, As has been confirmed, Trinity EMS, which was once here with TG 1-02-127, moved to the Dispatch Communications LTR on Baldpate.
Mark

Post Reply