Quincy DPW

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
garys

Quincy DPW

#1 Post by garys » 19 Sep 2013 13:54

I thought we had a thread on this early on this year, but can't find it for whatever reason. It appears that they have abandoned 153.785, or at least I haven't heard them on it. I've been playing detective and looking at their trucks when I'm in the city. What I've noticed is what appears to be an 800Mhz quarter wave, but with a base that appears as though it might house a GPS antenna. I haven't been able to peek into one of the trucks, so I don't know what they have for radios.

The city has an 800 Mhz conventional frequency, that is supposed to be analog audio. That's licensed out of City Hall. The frequency is 854.3125. I haven't had a chance to plug that in to a scanner yet, but I don't know that the DPW and city hall and whoever all could share that one frequency.

Interestingly, the frequencies for the 800 Mhz trunk system were renewed last year. The output frequencies are 851.3625, 851.5625, 851.850, 853.600, and 853.825. The emissions type is 13k6F3E, which is analog if I read the legend for emissions designators correctly. It's also licensed to the "YE" radio service, which is trunked public safety. I haven't plugged those in either, but will when I have a bit of time to sit down and play.

Just in case someone else has figured this out, I thought I'd post the bit I've learned so I'm not reinventing the wheel.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ecps92

#2 Post by ecps92 » 19 Sep 2013 14:51

I think we were talking about this during a Winter Storm and I've caught NOTHING after multiple attempts
garys wrote:I thought we had a thread on this early on this year, but can't find it for whatever reason. It appears that they have abandoned 153.785, or at least I haven't heard them on it. I've been playing detective and looking at their trucks when I'm in the city. What I've noticed is what appears to be an 800Mhz quarter wave, but with a base that appears as though it might house a GPS antenna. I haven't been able to peek into one of the trucks, so I don't know what they have for radios.

The city has an 800 Mhz conventional frequency, that is supposed to be analog audio. That's licensed out of City Hall. The frequency is 854.3125. I haven't had a chance to plug that in to a scanner yet, but I don't know that the DPW and city hall and whoever all could share that one frequency.

Interestingly, the frequencies for the 800 Mhz trunk system were renewed last year. The output frequencies are 851.3625, 851.5625, 851.850, 853.600, and 853.825. The emissions type is 13k6F3E, which is analog if I read the legend for emissions designators correctly. It's also licensed to the "YE" radio service, which is trunked public safety. I haven't plugged those in either, but will when I have a bit of time to sit down and play.

Just in case someone else has figured this out, I thought I'd post the bit I've learned so I'm not reinventing the wheel.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys

#3 Post by garys » 19 Sep 2013 15:08

Have you tried the 800 frequencies? I had them in at some point in the past and heard a constant data stream on one of them. I never got around to trying to set those frequencies up in various trunking configurations.

Another possibility is that they are using a commercial repeater system, such as ICE or someone else. I'll try to get another look at the antenna set up later today or next week. Maybe it's not 800 at all, but a UHF LTR or something. Of course it's like to be some form of digital other than P25 so we'll need DSD or something else to hear it. :(
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

garys

#4 Post by garys » 19 Sep 2013 23:38

I did some quick programming on all of the listed 800 frequencies and this is what I got.

854.3125 Intermittent data bursts, but no analog audio.
851.3625 Same data signals as above, no audio
851.5625 Nothing heard
851.850 Intermittent data bursts longer and sounding different than the other two data channels.
853.600 Nothing heard
853.825 Analog audio. "Headquarters to Unit xx." Sounded like security of some sort. Also heard an ambulance to hospital notification, but no unit ID or even hospital name. It sounds like a voice channel on a trunk system, but I checked the FCC database and Quincy is the only licensee in MA, and there are no licensees in Rhode Island. No PL or DPL on this channel.

I also plugged in the National Grid LTR and listened to the data bursts on that. Totally different than the other data channels.

I'll try to listen some more tomorrow and see if I can figure out any more.

N1BHH (Silent Key)

#5 Post by N1BHH (Silent Key) » 20 Sep 2013 02:06

853.825 may have been a trunk system channel from Suffolk County, NY. I have heard some of those data bursts on those other frequencies. I'll have to revisit them again.
CLYDE - N1BHH - A KNOW-CODE AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR / WQWJ272 - GMRS
Pro94 Pro106 Pro164 Pro197 Pro2006 Pro2015 Pro2021 Pro2055
Yaesu's FT60R, FT2900R & FT8800R, Icom IC735, Motorola MTX9250 (900 MHz.)

ecps92

#6 Post by ecps92 » 20 Sep 2013 06:32

I've tried the 800, the UHF for Quincy is Telemetry (water meters) and even spent time of the now dwindling freqs from the UHF Comtronics LTR venture with the other Radio Shops in the area.
Looks like All-Comm pulled back their Freqs as one of them is now Boston Citywide and not LTR.
garys wrote:Have you tried the 800 frequencies? I had them in at some point in the past and heard a constant data stream on one of them. I never got around to trying to set those frequencies up in various trunking configurations.

Another possibility is that they are using a commercial repeater system, such as ICE or someone else. I'll try to get another look at the antenna set up later today or next week. Maybe it's not 800 at all, but a UHF LTR or something. Of course it's like to be some form of digital other than P25 so we'll need DSD or something else to hear it. :(
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

wb1hbu

#7 Post by wb1hbu » 07 Oct 2013 12:19

Hello,

851.3625 has a DMR burst with a Color Code of 1. It is likely a Mototrbo Capacity Plus trunking system. I heard voice on Talkgroup 0x058 and data.

854.3125 also has a DMR burst with a Color Code of 1 and is also likely a Mototrbo Capacity Plus trunking system. I have only seen data on this frequency.

73 Eric

garys

Re: Quincy DPW

#8 Post by garys » 17 Sep 2018 10:30

It's been almost five years, but I think I have this partially figured out.

851.3625 is LCN 1, OTA 1/2. There are only two active TGs 12 appears to be the DPW, 10 is still unknown.

The little traffic I heard on TG12 this morning was about a street closure off of Franklin Street.

TG10 seems to be street cleaning. It's only active at night.

It is not very active it all.

Although DSD+ identifies it as a Cap+ system, the only way I can copy audio is running it as DMR. Running DSDPlus_CC shows the information, but neither FMP-VC nor DSDPlus_VC activate to generate audio.

851.8500 is also licensed to Quincy and is active with data. All that I ever see is ARS data.