Boston Marathon 2017

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
ScanBoston
Posts: 3206
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Boston Area
Contact:

Boston Marathon 2017

#1 Post by ScanBoston » 11 Apr 2017 11:06

Everything in Copley Square seems to be going up a few days early this year I'm guessing it's so some of the crews can get Easter off? I'm sure patching and testing will be going on shortly. Probably all the usual channels with heavy use of the national LE, UTACS,VTACS 8TACS etc. along with all the MSP SOPS and Event channels. Most the rental radios for the volunteers and BAA folks the last few years have been DMR radios from DC Rentals which is an arm of ALLCOMM communications in Revere. While I'm writing this testing has just started from MAC control on 470.7375R 131.8 BAPERN West. Post what you find folks and something that seems to have been lost the last few years is Total RF setting up the camera pool. I'm sure they are still out there probably somewhere on DMR.

MASSBUSMARK
Posts: 137
Joined: 16 Oct 2005 10:33
Location: Lowell MA

#2 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 16 Apr 2017 12:29

MSP helicopter testing for the marathon on Events-3 this afternoon.
Mark

User avatar
ScanBoston
Posts: 3206
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Boston Area
Contact:

#3 Post by ScanBoston » 17 Apr 2017 04:02

Well I don't have a DMR scanner yet but the ScanBoston Boston Area scanner is set up for all the usual Marathon Players at http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/6254/web

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3139
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#4 Post by garys » 17 Apr 2017 15:17

Boston PD Channel 1 is patched to BAPERN North District (470.4875). I know a lot of channels are patched together, but this is the first time I've heard this specific channel patched in. As usual, BPD Federal Interop is patched in. I'm sure that there is a MSP Talk Group as well, but I haven't heard it as of yet.

TG 12289 popped up on Zone 1. I know that's a patch, but from and to what, I don't know. Talk was of Cataldo Ambulance doing something in Newton. I take that to be race related as well.

Boston EMS was conducting operations on Tac 3. (462.950).

Operations along the earlier portions of the route are winding down as runners clear those parts. By now, most of the runners should be within the last few miles of the route. Except of course for some of the "cause" and charity runners. And, the Elvis, Napolean, hamburger, big red Solo cup, and other runners. I'd expect a Trump or two in the mix as well.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4752
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#5 Post by ecps92 » 17 Apr 2017 15:43

BPD 1 patched with BAPERN 2N and Bostons VHF Federal Interop 158.9100 Only, no MSP Patch on this Tactical Network



garys wrote:Boston PD Channel 1 is patched to BAPERN North District (470.4875). I know a lot of channels are patched together, but this is the first time I've heard this specific channel patched in. As usual, BPD Federal Interop is patched in. I'm sure that there is a MSP Talk Group as well, but I haven't heard it as of yet.

TG 12289 popped up on Zone 1. I know that's a patch, but from and to what, I don't know. Talk was of Cataldo Ambulance doing something in Newton. I take that to be race related as well.

Boston EMS was conducting operations on Tac 3. (462.950).

Operations along the earlier portions of the route are winding down as runners clear those parts. By now, most of the runners should be within the last few miles of the route. Except of course for some of the "cause" and charity runners. And, the Elvis, Napolean, hamburger, big red Solo cup, and other runners. I'd expect a Trump or two in the mix as well.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3139
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#6 Post by garys » 17 Apr 2017 16:07

ETA: All Comm TG 218 just signed off as medical, so apparently there is still some use of it for medical coordination.

I wonder if that patch I heard on Zone 1 is related to the change from All Comm to the MSP system for Medical A, B, & C?
It's a bit odd that the MSP wouldn't have anything patched to Channel 1. Although, they might do it through the UCC and their role in Boston itself is limited mostly to Charlesgate/Park Drive and a few other spots.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4752
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#7 Post by ecps92 » 17 Apr 2017 17:58

MED-A-B-C/D all on the Commonwealths Trunk
A - Analog
B and C/D - P25
Strike Teams - Analog

Emergency Call In and Medical Coordination all on the DMR
garys wrote:ETA: All Comm TG 218 just signed off as medical, so apparently there is still some use of it for medical coordination.

I wonder if that patch I heard on Zone 1 is related to the change from All Comm to the MSP system for Medical A, B, & C?
It's a bit odd that the MSP wouldn't have anything patched to Channel 1. Although, they might do it through the UCC and their role in Boston itself is limited mostly to Charlesgate/Park Drive and a few other spots.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

MASSBUSMARK
Posts: 137
Joined: 16 Oct 2005 10:33
Location: Lowell MA

#8 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 17 Apr 2017 21:12

I did hear a little medical traffic on the All Comm TG 218. The runners/wheelchair racers talkgroups, the various bus talk groups and the ops talkgroup seemed to be the most active on the All Comm system.
After I picked up the last of my MP's on Beacon St. to transport back to Brookline PD for dismissal, I had to continue down Beacon through Kenmore Square to Mass Ave. I did see several MSP troopers stationed at Park Drive, Charlesgate, and by the underpass the runners used to go under Mass Ave.
Running search in the TRX 1, found some media DMR
455.9875 slot 1 color 5 TG 1800-TV audio, possibly NBC Sports Network (national broadcast).
453.450, 453.4875, 455.825, 459.7125 all slot 1 color 11 TG 1100- TV production cues (camera shot calls, updates for on air talent to report), same traffic on all 3 freq.
455.8950 slot 1 color 7 WBZ TV audio.
Mark

wb1hbu
Posts: 936
Joined: 08 Oct 2005 21:38
Location: Lynn, Essex Co.

#9 Post by wb1hbu » 18 Apr 2017 10:59

Hello,

I still have to go through my notes, but "Medical Resupply" used the Medical Admin talkgroup on DMR this year. The Transaction talkgroup was active toward the late afternoon into the evening as they closed up the stations along the route and recovered the deployed equipment. I wonder if the stations are located about every mile and numbered based on the mile.

It appears that Medical is split into 4 zones with A being at the Hopkinton end and D being at the Boston end. I would think that it would be more or less evenly split at 6.5 miles each, but it maybe based on town boundaries. That would make Zone A as Hopkinton, Ashland, and Framingham. Zone B would be Natick and Wellesley. Zone C would be Newton. Zone D would be Brookline/Boston.

I heard some channels like "Expo" called out that I suspect are either DMR simplex or conventional DMR repeater. There appears to be three zones with zone 1 being Finish and Busing (Boston), zone 2 being Course (Waltham), and zone 3 being Start (Hopkinton).

I had no problems listening to the Hopkinton site with my discone on the roof over here on the North Shore. It is great that more listeners have DMR capability this year.

Hopkinton Linked Capacity Plus
Site 1 (No adjacent sites)
453.0125 Color Code 15 Channels 1/2
451.5000 Color Code 15 Channels 3/4

216 Medical Division A (confirmed 2017)
251 Start Line (confirmed 2016)
252 Start Area (confirmed 2017)
253 HOP Busing (confirmed 2017)
254 Repeat Park HSP (confirmed 2016)


Waltham Linked Capacity Plus
Site 1 (No adjacent sites)
471.2125 Color Code 1 Ch 1/2
471.9375 Color Code 1 Ch 3/4
472.9375 Color Code 1 Ch 5/6

218 Medical Division C (confirmed 2017)
219 Medical Division B (confirmed 2017)
224 Lead Vehicles (confirmed 2017)
225 Elite Fluids (confirmed 2017)
226 Mens Press (confirmed 2017)
227 Womens Press (confirmed 2017)
228 Mens WC Press (confirmed 2017)
229 Womens WC Press (confirmed 2017)
230 Transaction (confirmed 2017)


Boston Capacity Plus
451.7000 Color Code 13 Ch 1/2
461.6750 Color Code 13 Ch 3/4
463.5500 Color Code 13 Ch 5/6

215 Medical Admin (Confirmed 2017) Channel 2
220 Ops (confirmed 2017) Channel 1
221 Emergency Call-In (confirmed 2017)
222 Medical Division D (confirmed 2017)
231 Talkaround (confirmed 2016)
232 Boston Busing (confirmed 2017) Channel 12
233 Cavalier Busing Channel 13

73 Eric

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4752
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

#10 Post by ecps92 » 18 Apr 2017 11:08

Altho not out of the question, but only in a rare situation would you find regular Part 74 licenses using Part 90 Channels.
I would venture overload of the Scanner caused the 453.xxxx and 459.xxxx interference.
MASSBUSMARK wrote:I did hear a little medical traffic on the All Comm TG 218. The runners/wheelchair racers talkgroups, the various bus talk groups and the ops talkgroup seemed to be the most active on the All Comm system.
After I picked up the last of my MP's on Beacon St. to transport back to Brookline PD for dismissal, I had to continue down Beacon through Kenmore Square to Mass Ave. I did see several MSP troopers stationed at Park Drive, Charlesgate, and by the underpass the runners used to go under Mass Ave.
Running search in the TRX 1, found some media DMR
455.9875 slot 1 color 5 TG 1800-TV audio, possibly NBC Sports Network (national broadcast).
453.450, 453.4875, 455.825, 459.7125 all slot 1 color 11 TG 1100- TV production cues (camera shot calls, updates for on air talent to report), same traffic on all 3 freq.
455.8950 slot 1 color 7 WBZ TV audio.
Mark
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3139
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#11 Post by garys » 18 Apr 2017 11:54

Thank you, Eric. I was also pleasantly surprised that I could hear Hopkington pretty clearly in Stoughton. I was using the RS version of the ST-2, which is still a great design. Sadly, not longer available.

I also spent some time the other day looking at FCC licenses for All Comm/DC Rentals. When I have a minute, I'll separate out the Georgetown and (I think) Saugus licenses. I probably won't be able to hear those, but you or others up that way might. I'll post those in the appropriate thread.
wb1hbu wrote:Hello,

I still have to go through my notes, but "Medical Resupply" used the Medical Admin talkgroup on DMR this year. The Transaction talkgroup was active toward the late afternoon into the evening as they closed up the stations along the route and recovered the deployed equipment. I wonder if the stations are located about every mile and numbered based on the mile.

It appears that Medical is split into 4 zones with A being at the Hopkinton end and D being at the Boston end. I would think that it would be more or less evenly split at 6.5 miles each, but it maybe based on town boundaries. That would make Zone A as Hopkinton, Ashland, and Framingham. Zone B would be Natick and Wellesley. Zone C would be Newton. Zone D would be Brookline/Boston.

I heard some channels like "Expo" called out that I suspect are either DMR simplex or conventional DMR repeater. There appears to be three zones with zone 1 being Finish and Busing (Boston), zone 2 being Course (Waltham), and zone 3 being Start (Hopkinton).

I had no problems listening to the Hopkinton site with my discone on the roof over here on the North Shore. It is great that more listeners have DMR capability this year.

Hopkinton Linked Capacity Plus
Site 1 (No adjacent sites)
453.0125 Color Code 15 Channels 1/2
451.5000 Color Code 15 Channels 3/4

216 Medical Division A (confirmed 2017)
251 Start Line (confirmed 2016)
252 Start Area (confirmed 2017)
253 HOP Busing (confirmed 2017)
254 Repeat Park HSP (confirmed 2016)


Waltham Linked Capacity Plus
Site 1 (No adjacent sites)
471.2125 Color Code 1 Ch 1/2
471.9375 Color Code 1 Ch 3/4
472.9375 Color Code 1 Ch 5/6

218 Medical Division C (confirmed 2017)
219 Medical Division B (confirmed 2017)
224 Lead Vehicles (confirmed 2017)
225 Elite Fluids (confirmed 2017)
226 Mens Press (confirmed 2017)
227 Womens Press (confirmed 2017)
228 Mens WC Press (confirmed 2017)
229 Womens WC Press (confirmed 2017)
230 Transaction (confirmed 2017)


Boston Capacity Plus
451.7000 Color Code 13 Ch 1/2
461.6750 Color Code 13 Ch 3/4
463.5500 Color Code 13 Ch 5/6

215 Medical Admin (Confirmed 2017) Channel 2
220 Ops (confirmed 2017) Channel 1
221 Emergency Call-In (confirmed 2017)
222 Medical Division D (confirmed 2017)
231 Talkaround (confirmed 2016)
232 Boston Busing (confirmed 2017) Channel 12
233 Cavalier Busing Channel 13

73 Eric
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

wb1hbu
Posts: 936
Joined: 08 Oct 2005 21:38
Location: Lynn, Essex Co.

#12 Post by wb1hbu » 18 Apr 2017 18:37

Hello,

Looking over my notes I noticed the numbering on the Medical Div channels went up to 26. There was a 26 Base and 26 East on Division D. So it is reasonable to think the numbering is based on Mile Markers.

Division A covered "Medical Tents 1 through 4".

Division B covered "Medical 11", "15", and "Station 16". Mile Marker 15 was mentioned.

Division C covered "Station 16", "17", "18", and "Station 20". Mile Marker 16 looks like it is on the Wellesley/Newton border.

Division D covered "Medical Tent 25", "25 East","26 Base", and "Medical 26 East"

So it looks reasonable that the divisions are divided up by towns.

73 Eric

User avatar
ScanBoston
Posts: 3206
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Boston Area
Contact:

#13 Post by ScanBoston » 20 Apr 2017 14:22

If anyone else wants to add anything else they heard maybe we can make a Boston Marathon part of the Wiki. If there are any hams that have lists perhaps you could upload those too?? Much of this stuff satys pretty similar year after year but it's easier to set up to listen before the event if you have last years data to start from.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3139
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

#14 Post by garys » 20 Apr 2017 15:02

That's a great idea, John.
ScanBoston wrote:If anyone else wants to add anything else they heard maybe we can make a Boston Marathon part of the Wiki. If there are any hams that have lists perhaps you could upload those too?? Much of this stuff satys pretty similar year after year but it's easier to set up to listen before the event if you have last years data to start from.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

User avatar
Citywide 173
Posts: 580
Joined: 23 Jun 2007 00:25
Location: Attleboro, MA
Contact:

#15 Post by Citywide 173 » 20 Apr 2017 20:05

The ham stuff is available at hamradioboston.org. Lots of good background info there

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7f7Pm ... hPU28/view
Ed Burke
Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
KD1EMS WQRD823

User avatar
jmarcel66
Posts: 263
Joined: 28 Nov 2007 09:55
Location: Penacook, NH

#16 Post by jmarcel66 » 21 Apr 2017 01:38

wb1hbu wrote:Hello,

Looking over my notes I noticed the numbering on the Medical Div channels went up to 26. There was a 26 Base and 26 East on Division D. So it is reasonable to think the numbering is based on Mile Markers.

Division A covered "Medical Tents 1 through 4".

Division B covered "Medical 11", "15", and "Station 16". Mile Marker 15 was mentioned.

Division C covered "Station 16", "17", "18", and "Station 20". Mile Marker 16 looks like it is on the Wellesley/Newton border.

Division D covered "Medical Tent 25", "25 East","26 Base", and "Medical 26 East"

So it looks reasonable that the divisions are divided up by towns.

73 Eric
The Medical Stations are in numeric order and do not match mile markers. I think some areas may have more than one station within a mile. The Hydration Stations are based on Mile Markers.

Not sure how the divisions were separated. But for reference, Medical Station 21 was in Division D.
John Marcel
K1FDD/WPXA902
Concord, NH Fire Alarm

wb1hbu
Posts: 936
Joined: 08 Oct 2005 21:38
Location: Lynn, Essex Co.

#17 Post by wb1hbu » 21 Apr 2017 17:47

Hello,

Thanks. It would make sense to have more medical toward the end of the course or in more difficult parts. A 2015 document has Tent 5 in Natick, Tents 6 - 9 in Wellesley, Tents 10 - 17 in Newton, Tents 19 - 20 in Brighton Tents, 21 - 24 in Brookline, and Tents 25 - 26 in Boston. There are also two finish line tents for a total of 28.
http://blog.mass.gov/publichealth/wp-co ... iefing.pdf
http://blog.mass.gov/publichealth/wp-co ... e-2015.pdf

Interesting video about the Medical Tents.
http://womensrunning.competitor.com/201 ... ents_74095

73 Eric

User avatar
ScanBoston
Posts: 3206
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Boston Area
Contact:

#18 Post by ScanBoston » 22 Apr 2017 01:21

Eric I'll send you all my stuff tomorrow.

User avatar
Citywide 173
Posts: 580
Joined: 23 Jun 2007 00:25
Location: Attleboro, MA
Contact:

#19 Post by Citywide 173 » 22 Apr 2017 10:52

This channel plan indicates where the medical tents are in relation to the hydration stations.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7f7Pm ... FZcWs/view
Ed Burke
Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
KD1EMS WQRD823

Post Reply