Salem State University PD now digital?

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
Post Reply
Message
Author
wu1t
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Nov 2007 20:02
Location: Salem, MA

Salem State University PD now digital?

#1 Post by wu1t » 12 Jan 2019 10:43

Can anyone confirm my observation that Salem State University police, 472.61250, has gone digital and possibly encrypted? Or have they changed frequencies? I started noticing digital this morning, and have not heard any analog FM. I'm down the street from the University so this frequency is in all of my scanners and I monitor it regularly.

I tried Signal Stalker on my Pro-106 to search out the specifics of the digital signal I am hearing, but it isn't decoding anything.

If they have indeed gone digital, I find this a little strange as they do a lot of interop with Salem police, which remains analog FM and AFAIK, Salem PD does not have digital capability.

Any insights would be appreciated.

User avatar
Kaimbridge
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Oct 2008 09:20
Location: MA Beverly: 42.57°N-70.89°W (FN42nn36).
Contact:

Re: Salem State University PD now digital?

#2 Post by Kaimbridge » 12 Jan 2019 12:35

wu1t wrote:
12 Jan 2019 10:43
Can anyone confirm my observation that Salem State University police, 472.61250, has gone digital and possibly encrypted? Or have they changed frequencies? I started noticing digital this morning...
Yes, I started noticing it a few days ago, too.
Is this a different type of digital?—this one sounds like a “machine gun” rather than the typical, louder than normal “open squelch” type digital!
    ~𝓚𝓪𝓲𝓶𝓫𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓰𝓮~ KMA1DGT
**** Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer. ****

wu1t
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Nov 2007 20:02
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Salem State University PD now digital?

#3 Post by wu1t » 12 Jan 2019 12:48

I think it may be DMR.

I have been playing with an RTL dongle (Nooelec NESDR) using SDRSharp and DSDPlus, which can decode multiple digital modes. If I am doing this correctly, it appears that the signal is DMR. At least DSDPlus, which automatically tries to identify the mode, syncs up as DMR. However, it looks like it might be DMR privacy or encrypted mode. I'm not totally confident in these results yet, but that's what it appears.

dogmandew
Posts: 6
Joined: 17 Jan 2019 17:37

Re: Salem State University PD now digital?

#4 Post by dogmandew » 25 Jan 2019 20:45

Color code 12, Slot 1 in the clear is what I'm seeing.

So much for interop with other departments coming to the campus I guess.

Motorola P25
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Jan 2019 19:49

Re: Salem State University PD now digital?

#5 Post by Motorola P25 » 30 Jan 2019 11:24

God forbid anything happens there. They'll have to switch to Area Wide 4.

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4720
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

Re: Salem State University PD now digital?

#6 Post by ecps92 » 30 Jan 2019 17:53

Any TG info ?
dogmandew wrote:
25 Jan 2019 20:45
Color code 12, Slot 1 in the clear is what I'm seeing.

So much for interop with other departments coming to the campus I guess.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Motorola P25
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Jan 2019 19:49

Re: Salem State University PD now digital?

#7 Post by Motorola P25 » 31 Jan 2019 13:45

ecps92 wrote:
30 Jan 2019 17:53
Any TG info ?
dogmandew wrote:
25 Jan 2019 20:45
Color code 12, Slot 1 in the clear is what I'm seeing.

So much for interop with other departments coming to the campus I guess.
TG: 1121901

Post Reply