Middlesex county PD MDC IDs?

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
n1zyy

Middlesex county PD MDC IDs?

#1 Post by n1zyy » 17 Jan 2019 16:20

I set up MDC decode on my HT listening to local public safety stuff, largely so I'd get muting of the noise, but I'm curious about the unit IDs. I'm noticing that each department seems to have its own range, so I suspect there's some central assignment. Is this so? If so, does anyone know who assigns them and if there's a definitive list? Do fire departments have a similar thing?

It seems, from listening for a bit to the nearby ones, that it's something like:

* 27xx = Dracut PD
* 50xx = Chelmsford PD
* 37xx = Billerica PD
* 22xx = Tewksbury
* 26xx = Westford
Matt
Lowell, MA

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: Middlesex county PD MDC IDs?

#2 Post by ecps92 » 17 Jan 2019 17:11

https://www.pcsdma.org/commlaw.html

https://www.pcsdma.org/commmutual.html

n1zyy wrote:
17 Jan 2019 16:20
I set up MDC decode on my HT listening to local public safety stuff, largely so I'd get muting of the noise, but I'm curious about the unit IDs. I'm noticing that each department seems to have its own range, so I suspect there's some central assignment. Is this so? If so, does anyone know who assigns them and if there's a definitive list? Do fire departments have a similar thing?

It seems, from listening for a bit to the nearby ones, that it's something like:

* 27xx = Dracut PD
* 50xx = Chelmsford PD
* 37xx = Billerica PD
* 22xx = Tewksbury
* 26xx = Westford
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#3 Post by garys » 17 Jan 2019 19:53

At one time those towns were part of NEMLEC, which operated a lot like BAPERN and the Bristol County system.
BAPERN was originally run out of the Newton PD, and numbers were assigned by someone there. The original BAPERN numbers started north, in Lynn I think. That's why Lynn has those single and double digit numbers.

The numbers worked their way west and then south. Originally, BAPERN stopped in Randolph and Weymouth to the south.

As years went by, more numbers were added, so now it's kind of random.

BAPERN has expanded to cover essentially all of eastern MA, so on a guess the towns and numbers you posted are an extension of the original series. Here is a link to the http://gbpc.org/bapern/ BAPERN website. There's some good information their, including a map of cities and town in the system and what district they are in. No unit numbers, so you're going to have to figure that out.

Plymouth County units seem to have kept their own number system, that probably goes for Bristol county as well. I know that Easton, Foxboro, and Sharon have retained their pre BAPERN unit IDs.

Hope that helps.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

LPD7

#4 Post by LPD7 » 18 Jan 2019 14:11

The only rhyme or reason I ever noticed with the MDC's in the Lowell area, was that the Lowell PD ID's used to match the license plate of the patrol car. Obviously there is no real way for us to tell if unmarked cars (regular PC plates) did as well. I'm not sure about the ranges for the other towns, but I have noticed that Chelmsford does use the 5000's.

n1zyy

#5 Post by n1zyy » 18 Jan 2019 18:56

Thanks, all! While PCSD's site doesn't cover Middlesex, I'm always surprised by how much good information they share. And it seems to confirm that some of the numbering comes from BAPERN. I might try to more accurately map out ranges for some of these. I think the bit in my original post was an oversimplification.

I just had a basic scanner back when Lowell was analog, but as far as unit IDs these days now that they're P25, I figured some of this out.

All dispatchers have the same ID. I forget its number, but I remember that it was whatever the default on an Astro DIU was. I'm thinking 8075 but that's probably not right.

I don't know mobile units for sure, but they tend to be 3-digit numbers and I have wondered if they are license plates. There is at least one radio with ID "1" in use, however. Maybe it was a shop spare that got installed or something. At one time I had these aliased in my radio, but they seem to change periodically -- the vehicle that's Car 5 might eventually start working as Car 2, it seems.

Portable IDs are the fun part, and they took me forever to figure out. They seemed to range from about 4,000 through 99,000 with no apparent rhyme or reason. One night in 2017 a new class of recruits was just coming on board and I noticed a bunch of 17xxx IDs coming across.

It appears that the last 3 digits of the portable ID are the officer's badge number, which are more or less sequential. The newest hires are in the high 700/low 800 range.

The preceding 0-2 digits are the two-digit year of hire, without leading 0's. So 95123 would be badge #123, joined in '95. 1234 would be badge #234, hired in '01. I'm not sure what happens with those hired in the year 2000.

It's not a primary means of ID, but you will sometimes hear officers ID by their 3-digit badge number.

At one point in time I was listening while working on a codeplug so I started aliasing portable IDs to officer names and gradually built that up, before deciding that it was really kind of a creepy thing to have done. ;)

With MDC, I'm more just interested in mapping ID ranges to towns.
Matt
Lowell, MA