Boston PD feed?

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
n1zyy

Boston PD feed?

#1 Post by n1zyy » 24 Jan 2019 01:34

As far as I can tell, there is not a feed specifically for Boston PD on Broadcastify. The best I can find is https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/25818 which includes a whole bunch of stuff.

Does anyone know if the lack of a dedicated Boston PD feed is simply because no one has set one up, or if there is some history I'm missing? I'm almost tempted to set one up (maybe just channels 2 & 5), but would hate to go through the effort only to realize that people here were intentionally not providing one due to politics / the Boston Marathon bombing / fear of pushing BPD into encryption / whatever. Should I throw this on my backlog of radio projects?
Matt
Lowell, MA

W1MTW

Re: Boston PD feed?

#2 Post by W1MTW » 24 Jan 2019 08:18

I believe John, K1BOS, (ScanBoston on here) was doing it. Whether he has given it up escapes my memory.
Mark, W1MTW
Windham, ME
PRO-106

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#3 Post by ScanBoston » 24 Jan 2019 16:47

Only feed I had on broadcastify was kind of a mixed Boston feed with BPD, BEMS, BFD, StatePD, Cambridge, Massport etc I called it a ScanBoston Feed. There was a Boston PD and Boston FD feed on there that wasn't mine. Years earlier I had a Boston FD feed and a State PD as well as this general feed all coming from my house directly but I didn't have that much bandwidth so I could only host about 30 users. My broadcastify feed was coming from my work place and when they moved I lost my roof top antenna feed. By the time I had moved the equipment to another location they had deleted my account. I kind of decided to quit then. never like radio reference much anyways.

W1MTW

#4 Post by W1MTW » 25 Jan 2019 08:01

Thanks John. I never knew the full story as to what happened. It was interesting to listen to, maybe someone else will pick it up someday.
Mark, W1MTW
Windham, ME
PRO-106

n1zyy

#5 Post by n1zyy » 25 Jan 2019 14:07

This is all good to know. I just ordered a UHF Yagi to see if I can get a stronger signal than I get off my discone and maybe set up a feed. :)

I'll occasionally listen to feeds for a breaking incident outside of scanner range, but the main purpose for me is to go back through the Broadcastify archives when I miss something. Not having a dedicated BPD feed makes that tough, which is the main reason I want to set it up.
Matt
Lowell, MA

dogmandew

#6 Post by dogmandew » 25 Jan 2019 20:44

I ran one at one point, but moved and haven't had a chance to set it back up. One of these days I'll get it back hopefully.

I also have the equipment to set up a Boston EMS feed, but also haven't gotten around to it.