Air Methods coming to Barnes Westfield Airport

Discussion forum for scanning Western Massachusetts, including the cities of Springfield, Pittsfield, Holyoke,
and all cities and towns within the counties of Berkshire, Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin.
cdgordon

Air Methods coming to Barnes Westfield Airport

#1 Post by cdgordon » 09 Feb 2017 10:00

Air Methods has an agreement with Barnes Westfield Airport to station a medical transport aircraft (helicopter) at the airport. The quarters will be at the SW corner of the airport property, near MSP Troop E barracks. Unsure what frequencies at this time but I would expect to see them flying by July 1 if not sooner.

chris

ecps92

#2 Post by ecps92 » 09 Feb 2017 11:02

Reading this reminded me years ago Worcester Lifeflight tried a base in Palmer, anyone know if this is still the case?

There was a map out on the NET, a couple of years ago, that listed all the Bases for the Helo's...can't seem to find it
cdgordon wrote:Air Methods has an agreement with Barnes Westfield Airport to station a medical transport aircraft (helicopter) at the airport. The quarters will be at the SW corner of the airport property, near MSP Troop E barracks. Unsure what frequencies at this time but I would expect to see them flying by July 1 if not sooner.

chris
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

cdgordon

#3 Post by cdgordon » 09 Feb 2017 14:03

You need to do a bit of zooming but it should be readable:
https://issuu.com/thewestfieldnews/docs ... er_2__2016

chris

garys

#4 Post by garys » 09 Feb 2017 15:15

I did a little research at the UMass Memorial LifeFlight website and it turns out that Air Methods owns their ship and provides the pilots, maintenance, and so on.

My guess is that this will be a second base further west for UMass and not a separate start up. UMass is licensed for two Type IV ambulances and only staff one currently.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

cdgordon

#5 Post by cdgordon » 09 Feb 2017 18:17

The program running it will be Hartford Hospital.

chris

garys

#6 Post by garys » 09 Feb 2017 18:49

That's interesting. It will be interesting to see how the licensing works out since their resource hospital will be in CT, but they'll be flying in MA.
cdgordon wrote:The program running it will be Hartford Hospital.

chris
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

NIGHTHAWK01

#7 Post by NIGHTHAWK01 » 04 Mar 2017 12:17

There is no Palmer airport anymore, should be removed from the aero charts. There was an ultra light aircraft association that had a setup in that same area but it is not designated as an airport. Difficult to believe there's a need for a medvac helo out here. Generally the unit out of Hartford or Albany with a rare eastern MA bird coming out here to the wild west!
K

cdgordon

#8 Post by cdgordon » 04 Mar 2017 15:48

There is no longer a helicopter at Hartford Hospital. Lifestar 1 is at Midstate Hospital in Meriden CT (brand new hanger just put in service) and Lifestar 2 is at Backus Hospital in Norwich, CT. Most of Western Massachusetts scene calls and interfacility transfers are done by UMASS. Hartford Hospital still runs the program and will be running the Westfield aircraft as well.
One difference will be that there will be a Flight Paramedic instead of a Respiratory Therapist on the flight crew. There are very few programs that still run the RTs in the US, perhaps 2%. I wouldn't be surprised to see them be replaced in the remainder of the program in the future.

chris

Joe85sti

#9 Post by Joe85sti » 17 May 2017 01:07

cdgordon wrote:There is no longer a helicopter at Hartford Hospital. Lifestar 1 is at Midstate Hospital in Meriden CT (brand new hanger just put in service) and Lifestar 2 is at Backus Hospital in Norwich, CT. Most of Western Massachusetts scene calls and interfacility transfers are done by UMASS. Hartford Hospital still runs the program and will be running the Westfield aircraft as well.
One difference will be that there will be a Flight Paramedic instead of a Respiratory Therapist on the flight crew. There are very few programs that still run the RTs in the US, perhaps 2%. I wouldn't be surprised to see them be replaced in the remainder of the program in the future.

chris
Any updates on the progress of this new base? I'd heard they had to build a new hangar at Barnes airport for the helicopter.
Joe
Beverly, MA

Citywide 173

#10 Post by Citywide 173 » 17 May 2017 05:12

The coverage has apparently been good for quite some time. I wonder if there are numbers to back it up, or if we'll be seeing more stories like thhis one from last week. http://www.wkyc.com/news/health/sky-rag ... /438609725
Ed Burke
Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
KD1EMS WQRD823

cdgordon

#11 Post by cdgordon » 21 Nov 2017 23:08

Lifestar 3 is now in service operating out of Barnes Airport. They have a license at Baystate for the UHF pair they have at Hartford, 461.3875. I don't know if they have built that out or not. So far, I am not seeing a different PL on UHF, but they have been on the VHF channel for every transmission I monitored (155.385, 82.5).

chris