Franklin County 800 MHz

Discussion forum for scanning Western Massachusetts, including the cities of Springfield, Pittsfield, Holyoke,
and all cities and towns within the counties of Berkshire, Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin.
Thunderbolt

Franklin County 800 MHz

#1 Post by Thunderbolt » 30 Sep 2018 21:37

I had the distinct please of talking at length, with a police officer from the Greenfield Police Dept. at my work location. He told me that they, along with all other communities in Franklin County, are planning to joining the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' new P25 TRS on the 800 MHz band in the future. Optimistically, they would like to join by the end of 2019. However, given the reception problems that they are experiencing, along with the nearby cities of Bernardston, Colrain, and Leyden are having, even with 35-watt demo mobile radios, the changeover probably won't happen until the end of 2020, as more radio towers will be needed to address some rather severe handheld coverage issues throughout the county. He also mentioned that Berkshire and Hampshire Counties are also leaning in the same direction.

73's

Ron

ScanBoston

Re: Franklin County 800 MHz

#2 Post by ScanBoston » 01 Oct 2018 14:57

The system was only specked out for mobile coverage. The State units have 700Mhz vehicular repeaters for portable coverage. Portable coverage on 700/800 in Western MA with that terrain would be ASTROnomically expensive and not practical with all the sites needed. I'm not sure but I don't think there is also not enough voice channels to handle the loading of all cities and towns joining the state agencies. This was never built to be a statewide system for everyone.

Like what I did with astronomical there :)

ecps92

#3 Post by ecps92 » 02 Oct 2018 06:39

a little [in CAPS] BatWing humor :)
ScanBoston wrote:
01 Oct 2018 14:57
The system was only specked out for mobile coverage. The State units have 700Mhz vehicular repeaters for portable coverage. Portable coverage on 700/800 in Western MA with that terrain would be ASTROnomically expensive and not practical with all the sites needed. I'm not sure but I don't think there is also not enough voice channels to handle the loading of all cities and towns joining the state agencies. This was never built to be a statewide system for everyone.

Like what I did with astronomical there :)

jbella

#4 Post by jbella » 06 Oct 2018 11:59

Probably not a worse place in the state to try and get full 8/700 coverage.

cdgordon

#5 Post by cdgordon » 07 Oct 2018 21:43

I read through some meeting info and as near as I can tell, it has to do with funding. Some lower end equipment was used for the original UHF system and it is failing. This puts them in a position of having to get on an established system or spend a lot of money (from lots of towns that don't have it) to build out their own reliable system.

chris

NIGHTHAWK01

#6 Post by NIGHTHAWK01 » 14 Oct 2018 11:05

Chris I agree with what you posted, it was in one of their meeting minutes for the service area. I really don't think they have good funding in ANY area and need to be very careful on any expenditures. The low band system worked ok for them for many years and I'm guessing they got some grant money for the UHF system, BUT as with many communities they don't plan very well for future costs for the system and than try to find a less costly solution. I don't think a digital portable/mobile 700/800 mhz trunking capable radio is going to be a cheap alternative for them even if they aren't responsible for base station/repeater equipment.
K

Microphone

#7 Post by Microphone » 25 Oct 2018 16:00

Hardly an expert, but as an active scanner hobbyist here in Franklin County, I can't see this happening. I know troopers and Chiefs in this area as well to talk to, but many people on this board know far more on this subject than well intentioned officers the pitfalls are of this here and in Berkshire County as well as the hills in Hampshire and Hampden County. The 42's are still used here by the MSP a fair amount and it's not because of cost.