Comm. of Mass. P25 - Scanning on BCD436HP Question - MSP Troop H

This forum contains the regional forums for Massachusetts and is also for the discussion of the scanning and monitoring of Massachusetts statewide agencies.
gillham

Comm. of Mass. P25 - Scanning on BCD436HP Question - MSP Troop H

#1 Post by gillham » 29 May 2015 22:54

Hey All - I'm brand new to the digital scanning world. I've got a Uniden 346XT that's scanning MSP Troop H (North Dispatch) just fine on the simulcast. But I don't hear anything on the digital, BCD436HP. I'll hear Cambridge Dispatch and MIT, but nothing from the State.
Anyone have ideas or run into issues with this before?

Thanks!

ecps92

#2 Post by ecps92 » 30 May 2015 10:12

Sounds like you have a Multi-Part Question.
a.) MSP H-Troop is on the Analog system, rarely will it be heard on the Eastern Mass P25 Zones, unless it's needed (added per one of the Radio Techs)
b.) Digital (eastern mass) is the Massport, Cambridge and 700 Overlay -
1.)on the Massport and Cambridge Zones you should not regularly hear any of the MSP TG's
2.) on the 700 Overlay, it is RARE (see note a.) to hear the MSP, but you will hear Metro Fire, BAPERN, MEMA, Boston Fire, LPS/SOPS channels (when patched) and the MSP Radio Techs along with various Boston Agencies (Non Police/EMS)
gillham wrote:Hey All - I'm brand new to the digital scanning world. I've got a Uniden 346XT that's scanning MSP Troop H (North Dispatch) just fine on the simulcast. But I don't hear anything on the digital, BCD436HP. I'll hear Cambridge Dispatch and MIT, but nothing from the State.

Thanks!
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

gillham

#3 Post by gillham » 30 May 2015 13:02

gillham wrote:Hey All - I'm brand new to the digital scanning world. I've got a Uniden 346XT that's scanning MSP Troop H (North Dispatch) just fine on the simulcast. But I don't hear anything on the digital, BCD436HP. I'll hear Cambridge Dispatch and MIT, but nothing from the State.

Thanks!
I realized after some more late night research that MSP may actually be using analog for the most part even though they have a digital system - could someone confirm for me? Just assumed since sentinel had all the troops and their respective Dispatch channels setup that they were in use.
TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenny

#4 Post by kenny » 30 May 2015 13:23

On the Boston 700 P-25 overlay you won't hear any MSP units routinely, only on special circumstances such as the Marathon, or the Independence Day activities . What you'll hear is the City of Boston transportation department, DPW, Boston Fire. Still don't understand why someone submitted all the MSP talkgroup info to R.R. when they are not in use on the system.

gillham

#5 Post by gillham » 30 May 2015 14:06

kenny wrote:On the Boston 700 P-25 overlay you won't hear any MSP units routinely, only on special circumstances such as the Marathon, or the Independence Day activities . What you'll hear is the City of Boston transportation department, DPW, Boston Fire. Still don't understand why someone submitted all the MSP talkgroup info to R.R. when they are not in use on the system.
Gotcha - so for MSP radio traffic we're stuck with their analog transmissions. Was hoping to hear some crystal clear traffic, but I guess not!

garys

#6 Post by garys » 30 May 2015 14:40

Bill's post is correct, to which I'll add a couple of comments.

MSP P25 on the 800 system is mainly operational from Springfield west to the NY border. Even at that, the analog system was still operational and similcasting digital traffic as of last fall. Both analog and P25 out there seem to be fulling cross patched.
MSP is not supposed to be using the 700 overlay on a routing basis. That is supposed to be an overlay of Zone 1. You might hear Troop F (MassPort) on the overlay as F Patrol 1 is crosspatched to the 800 portion of Zone 1. On the 700 Mhz overlay you will hear a lot of City of Boston traffic. Mostly Public Works, Parks, Traffic and Parking, etc, but also Boston Fire Channels 1-4 are crosspatched to the system. There are Boston EMS Talk Groups on the 800 Zone 1 system, but there are rarely used and I've never heard them on the 700 overlay.
There are a small number of P25 Phase 2 Talk Groups on the 700 Mhz overlay enough to make it worthwhile buying a Phase 2 scanner.
Eventually, all of MSP will be on P25, but it's a big, complex, system and only so much money is allocated per year for upgrades.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

garys

#7 Post by garys » 30 May 2015 14:42

The audio quality on the MSP analog system is very good. P25 audio quality is heavily dependent on signal strength and is not nearly as consistent as the analog system. At least not currently.
gillham wrote:Gotcha - so for MSP radio traffic we're stuck with their analog transmissions. Was hoping to hear some crystal clear traffic, but I guess not!

We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

gillham

#8 Post by gillham » 30 May 2015 14:46

garys wrote:The audio quality on the MSP analog system is very good. P25 audio quality is heavily dependent on signal strength and is not nearly as consistent as the analog system. At least not currently.
Apologies for not searching before asking.. At the RI Airshow right now. Are locations of the MSP radio towers known? I'm curious why I always get heavy static or signal dropping out on certain parts along Soldiers Field Road in Boston. I find it surprising since there's a Troop H barracks less than a 1/2 mile from where I notice my scanner totally cuts out during a transmission.
This is all great information. Thanks everyone! Be safe and happy listening

ecps92

#9 Post by ecps92 » 30 May 2015 15:00

??? The Analog system is R9++ Crystal Clear
gillham wrote:Gotcha - so for MSP radio traffic we're stuck with their analog transmissions. Was hoping to hear some crystal clear traffic, but I guess not!

Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ecps92

#10 Post by ecps92 » 30 May 2015 15:03

Yup, there out there via the FCC, RR and http://kc1ho.net/scan/msp/mspz05.html

As for Drop-out, you might be right near a Cell Site causing the drop out. Remember a scanner is not the same as the "M" radios they are using.

gillham wrote:Apologies for not searching before asking.. At the RI Airshow right now. Are locations of the MSP radio towers known? I'm curious why I always get heavy static or signal dropping out on certain parts along Soldiers Field Road in Boston. I find it surprising since there's a Troop H barracks less than a 1/2 mile from where I notice my scanner totally cuts out during a transmission.

Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

W1KNE

#11 Post by W1KNE » 30 May 2015 17:33

ecps92 wrote:Yup, there out there via the FCC, RR and http://kc1ho.net/scan/msp/mspz05.html

As for Drop-out, you might be right near a Cell Site causing the drop out. Remember a scanner is not the same as the "M" radios they are using.
Also on the Unidens, they get very desensitized by FM Broadcast overload in the 800 MHz band. And there is a lot of FM coming from the nearby Pru.
Where I live here in the big Q, on MSP Zone 3, I can hear what sounds like FM station "bleeding" into one of the voice frequencies. I have positively identified it as one of the FMs on the Pru. I had a similar issue in Rhode Island as well.

RKG

#12 Post by RKG » 30 May 2015 20:38

The primary sites for Zone 5 (A/H Troops) are Ashburton Place in Boston and Turkey Hill in Arlington.

ecps92

#13 Post by ecps92 » 30 May 2015 20:41

You forgot Andover, Chelmsford, Essex, Georgetown Sudbury and Wrentham all make up Zone 5
RKG wrote:The primary sites for Zone 5 (A/H Troops) are Ashburton Place in Boston and Turkey Hill in Arlington.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

kenny

#14 Post by kenny » 30 May 2015 23:42

And Blue Hill in Milton

RKG

#15 Post by RKG » 31 May 2015 07:50

ecps92 wrote:You forgot Andover, Chelmsford, Essex, Georgetown Sudbury and Wrentham all make up Zone 5
Not so much forgot, but OP talking about being on Storrow Drive and vicinity. In my area (greater Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Belmont, Arlington), Ashburton and Turkey Hill run the show.

wltrsf

#16 Post by wltrsf » 31 May 2015 16:15

gillham wrote:Apologies for not searching before asking.. At the RI Airshow right now. Are locations of the MSP radio towers known? I'm curious why I always get heavy static or signal dropping out on certain parts along Soldiers Field Road in Boston. I find it surprising since there's a Troop H barracks less than a 1/2 mile from where I notice my scanner totally cuts out during a transmission.

I travel through there frequently, MSP in that area use low band quite a lot.

ecps92

#17 Post by ecps92 » 31 May 2015 17:27

Yes the Troopers use Low-Band still, but not as a Dispatch channel, that still occurs on the 800 Trunk
wltrsf wrote:I travel through there frequently, MSP in that area use low band quite a lot.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies