New Statewide Public Safety Radio System Planned for State Police and Partners

This forum contains the regional forums for Massachusetts and is also for the discussion of the scanning and monitoring of Massachusetts statewide agencies.
ecps92

New Statewide Public Safety Radio System Planned for State Police and Partners

#1 Post by ecps92 » 12 Dec 2017 13:09

http://mspnews.org/2017/12/new-statewid ... -agencies/

New Statewide Public Safety Radio System Planned for State Police and Partner Agencies
December 12, 2017

New system will replace aging infrastructure and yield benefits in speed, interoperability

FRAMINGHAM – The Massachusetts State Police, working in cooperation with the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS) and the Executive Office of Administration and Finance (ANF), today announced that it is taking steps to replace the Commonwealth’s aging public safety radio system.

The statewide system provides mission critical radio communications for more than 2,000 state troopers across the Commonwealth, as well as for 245 other public safety and transportation agencies. The system will also be used by the state’s 911 emergency call centers and will provide greatly enhanced interoperable communications for the first responder community.

“The state troopers and first responders that use this radio system need the most advanced and reliable communications available in order to respond to the hundreds of thousands of calls for service that we receive each year,” said Colonel Kerry Gilpin, Superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police. “The legacy system we are presently using is nearing the end of its useful life, which is why we are taking proactive steps to replace it with one that will allow us to respond quickly and seamlessly to critical incidents and threats across the state.”

A competitive procurement process will focus on replacing the current analog radio network with a new digital system that will provide far more capacity and coverage across the state. The Commonwealth expects to replace critical system components such as radio consoles at state police dispatch centers and portable radios for troopers in year one of the project.

“I appreciate Colonel Gilpin’s leadership on this important issue that is critical to public safety in the Commonwealth,” said Secretary of Public Safety and Security Dan Bennett. “This is a significant investment that will dramatically improve system performance and deliver public safety benefits for years to come.”

Enhanced interoperability – that is, the ability for different agencies to communicate seamlessly via radio — is one of the most important capabilities for law enforcement and emergency personnel responding to criminal or terrorist critical incidents and natural disasters.

The overhaul will take approximately five years to complete and the cost will be determined through the competitive bidding process. The upgrade will be paid for through a combination of capital and State 911 trust funds.
The planning and investment for this new system, known as the Commonwealth Interoperable Radio System (CoMIRS) addresses the radio needs for state police and multiple partner agencies such as Barnstable County police and fire, the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), Mass DOT-Highway Division, Transit Police and state and county prisoner transportation teams. The proposed design of this new system may also provide an opportunity for municipalities and regional entities with aging and non-supportable systems to join the statewide radio system.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

wb1hbu

#2 Post by wb1hbu » 12 Dec 2017 15:26

Hello,

I think they have already started on this with the 700 Overlay and other P25 sites. Some municipalities, like Boston and Worchester, and regional entities, like Massport, have already replaced their aging radio systems by going on the P25 system. It would make sense to build out this existing P25 core to replace the Motorola Analog system.

73 Eric

Mark SNE Moderator

#3 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 12 Dec 2017 19:57

I hear Open Sky works well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17
http://www.tsviewer.com/locate_user.php ... &sID=42201

KB1FJR

#4 Post by KB1FJR » 12 Dec 2017 20:11

Could this also be the end of the legacy low band system? I can’t recall the last time i have heard BOLO traffic on 42.400 Troop C. I remember the days when that’s all they had was 42.400, than they had the 800 conventional repeaters for C-6 and C-5. Then by the year 2000 both C-PTL-1 and C-PTL-3 had all the troop c barracks on them. Almost 20 years isn’t too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jack103x

#5 Post by jack103x » 12 Dec 2017 20:21

Low band stilll going in metro area.

garys

#6 Post by garys » 12 Dec 2017 21:07

It will depend on the coverage of the 800 system. Digital requires more receiver sites, so there will have to be some pretty careful engineering to improve coverage over what it is now. At least that's how I see it.
KB1FJR wrote:Could this also be the end of the legacy low band system? I can’t recall the last time i have heard BOLO traffic on 42.400 Troop C. I remember the days when that’s all they had was 42.400, than they had the 800 conventional repeaters for C-6 and C-5. Then by the year 2000 both C-PTL-1 and C-PTL-3 had all the troop c barracks on them. Almost 20 years isn’t too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ecps92

#7 Post by ecps92 » 13 Dec 2017 07:26

and for Mutual Aid to PR
jack103x wrote:Low band stilll going in metro area.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ecps92

#8 Post by ecps92 » 13 Dec 2017 07:26

Time to keep a close eye on an FCC App's Pending
garys wrote:It will depend on the coverage of the 800 system. Digital requires more receiver sites, so there will have to be some pretty careful engineering to improve coverage over what it is now. At least that's how I see it.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

cdgordon

#9 Post by cdgordon » 13 Dec 2017 08:48

I wouldn't expect to see much activity on the FCC site for quite a while. The FCC expects a system to be active within a year. MA was filing endless extension requests after the rebanding and Western MA upgrade/update. But they could start with the Phase 2 amendments anytime I would think.
I would think that most any infrastructure work in the last few years has been done with the end goal of P25 phase 2 coverage statewide. However, the scope of the full project will be considerable. Planning, bid process, site infrastructure updates & additional sites, testing, thousands of mobiles to be installed, training, etc.

chris

Scott SNE Webmaster

#10 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 13 Dec 2017 09:29

Should be interesting, and apparently this will make it to Cape Cod after I've retired from my department. (enter grin here)
Scott - Scan New England Webmaster

n1zyy

#11 Post by n1zyy » 16 Dec 2017 22:06

I just saw the Globe article on the same thing: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/ ... story.html

I was hoping it would be something we could continue monitoring. Not many technical details were presented. I knew you guys would have the scoop. :) If it's just the continued buildout of the statewide P25 system, sounds good! (In the back of my mind I also wonder about all the local T-band users whenever that happens; this seems like the obvious migration path.)
Matt
Lowell, MA

jbella

#12 Post by jbella » 21 Dec 2017 13:30

It may be the obvious migration path for politicians and those who know nothing about radio.

Some places will go, some places will resist, only because of local control, some won't go because of performance issues.

I previously thought the T-Band giveback would go away. Now? Very doubtful.

jrm3607

#13 Post by jrm3607 » 22 Dec 2017 17:45

On a somewhat unrelated note, Massachusetts announced that the state is going to "opt-in" to FirstNet to build out a broadband network.

http://urgentcomm.com/ntiafirstnet/gove ... ay-weekend