MSP Troop E to be eliminated

This forum contains the regional forums for Massachusetts and is also for the discussion of the scanning and monitoring of Massachusetts statewide agencies.
Message
Author
User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4787
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#26 Post by ecps92 » 03 May 2018 11:14

Don't think MSP Patrols had those Mass DOT Channels, maybe only those former Troop-E units did and only those [E Troop] will need to be reprogrammed.
Only careful monitoring will tell. Kind of like some of the old STX Radios, Troopers who worked Airport Details, got lucky and had Massport F-PTL-1 by loosing something else.

I would have thought keeping E-PTL-4 would be the plan [casual observer] but that might require an entire reprogramming for ALL Radios because E-PTL-x was in a different Zone of the Radios, which would cause users to switch Zones, just to get to the H-PTL-x and then switch zones back
garys wrote:
03 May 2018 09:54
The only problem with that might be how the radios are programmed. I don't know, maybe ecps92 has a better insight. I also don't know if the radios can be reprogrammed over the air (OTAR) or if each portable and mobile needs to be "touched" by radio tech. Now that details on the turnpike, theoretically every radio would need to be reprogrammed. Or they could do it as new cruisers are put into service.

Or they could do nothing.
jrm3607 wrote:
02 May 2018 14:39
I have DOT 7 labeled as Extension and DOT 8 labeled as HOC. IMHO it would have made sense to leave the tunnel division on E-PTL-4 (which could eventually be renamed to H-PTL-4) that way the now expanded Troop H would still be able to use H-PTL-3 as a talkaround.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3186
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#27 Post by garys » 03 May 2018 11:58

I didn't mean to suggest that the troopers had the DOT channels in their radios. That was sort of a separate thing to figure out what TG is used for what by DOT.

I agree that about switching zones, especially during a pursuit or some other high stress incident. Even having to switch Zones just to talk to the cruiser on the other side of the road would be a PITA. Back about 20 or so years ago we responded to a crash on the High Bridge. There were troopers from A, H, E, and F on scene. No one was sure exactly who was supposed to take the report for the fatality.

I think reprogramming all of the radios would be required, which is a time consuming process.

Oh, I've also heard the turnpike service truck x00 on H Patrol 2 as well. I expect they'll show up on C and B as well.

Nice of them to port C Patrol 3 to Zone 5. Now we can listen to all of Troop C on Zone 5.


ecps92 wrote:
03 May 2018 11:14
Don't think MSP Patrols had those Mass DOT Channels, maybe only those former Troop-E units did and only those [E Troop] will need to be reprogrammed.
Only careful monitoring will tell. Kind of like some of the old STX Radios, Troopers who worked Airport Details, got lucky and had Massport F-PTL-1 by loosing something else.

I would have thought keeping E-PTL-4 would be the plan [casual observer] but that might require an entire reprogramming for ALL Radios because E-PTL-x was in a different Zone of the Radios, which would cause users to switch Zones, just to get to the H-PTL-x and then switch zones back
garys wrote:
03 May 2018 09:54
The only problem with that might be how the radios are programmed. I don't know, maybe ecps92 has a better insight. I also don't know if the radios can be reprogrammed over the air (OTAR) or if each portable and mobile needs to be "touched" by radio tech. Now that details on the turnpike, theoretically every radio would need to be reprogrammed. Or they could do it as new cruisers are put into service.

Or they could do nothing.
jrm3607 wrote:
02 May 2018 14:39
I have DOT 7 labeled as Extension and DOT 8 labeled as HOC. IMHO it would have made sense to leave the tunnel division on E-PTL-4 (which could eventually be renamed to H-PTL-4) that way the now expanded Troop H would still be able to use H-PTL-3 as a talkaround.

Lynskey 85
Posts: 1476
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 09:38
Location: Webster, MA

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#28 Post by Lynskey 85 » 03 May 2018 17:43

Trucks 500 and 600 (pike) are definitely operating on CPTL3 with C10 as there communication point.
garys wrote:
03 May 2018 11:58
I didn't mean to suggest that the troopers had the DOT channels in their radios. That was sort of a separate thing to figure out what TG is used for what by DOT.

I agree that about switching zones, especially during a pursuit or some other high stress incident. Even having to switch Zones just to talk to the cruiser on the other side of the road would be a PITA. Back about 20 or so years ago we responded to a crash on the High Bridge. There were troopers from A, H, E, and F on scene. No one was sure exactly who was supposed to take the report for the fatality.

I think reprogramming all of the radios would be required, which is a time consuming process.

Oh, I've also heard the turnpike service truck x00 on H Patrol 2 as well. I expect they'll show up on C and B as well.

Nice of them to port C Patrol 3 to Zone 5. Now we can listen to all of Troop C on Zone 5.


ecps92 wrote:
03 May 2018 11:14
Don't think MSP Patrols had those Mass DOT Channels, maybe only those former Troop-E units did and only those [E Troop] will need to be reprogrammed.
Only careful monitoring will tell. Kind of like some of the old STX Radios, Troopers who worked Airport Details, got lucky and had Massport F-PTL-1 by loosing something else.

I would have thought keeping E-PTL-4 would be the plan [casual observer] but that might require an entire reprogramming for ALL Radios because E-PTL-x was in a different Zone of the Radios, which would cause users to switch Zones, just to get to the H-PTL-x and then switch zones back
garys wrote:
03 May 2018 09:54
The only problem with that might be how the radios are programmed. I don't know, maybe ecps92 has a better insight. I also don't know if the radios can be reprogrammed over the air (OTAR) or if each portable and mobile needs to be "touched" by radio tech. Now that details on the turnpike, theoretically every radio would need to be reprogrammed. Or they could do it as new cruisers are put into service.

Or they could do nothing.

Greg Lynskey
W2GEL
Communications Center Director - South Worcester County Communications Center

jbella
Posts: 240
Joined: 12 Oct 2005 11:24
Location: Gardner

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#29 Post by jbella » 04 May 2018 13:15

I would think even though OTAR 'could' be used, the techs want to hands on every radio.

I would suspect that C Troop will add a C-Ptl-4 and that the troops will be broken up geographically a little better. C is busy enough to have 3 distinct patrol channels with an overload channel like C-Ptl-2 is used now.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3186
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#30 Post by garys » 04 May 2018 16:05

I suppose we'll know when we know. Until then, it's just like listening to any other barracks or troops.
jbella wrote:
04 May 2018 13:15
I would think even though OTAR 'could' be used, the techs want to hands on every radio.

I would suspect that C Troop will add a C-Ptl-4 and that the troops will be broken up geographically a little better. C is busy enough to have 3 distinct patrol channels with an overload channel like C-Ptl-2 is used now.

NIGHTHAWK01
Posts: 235
Joined: 16 Dec 2012 11:59
Location: Hampden County MA

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#31 Post by NIGHTHAWK01 » 13 May 2018 10:04

It appears that E PATROL talk groups have disappeared and the various other troops in place are doing the dispatch. In the central MA area it appears that C10 is doing the dispatch for TP. It's too bad since before one could listen to one talk group for the majority of the turnpike. It will be interesting to see how this is going to play out in the end with response time etc.
K

wltrsf
Posts: 172
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 19:28
Location: Rt 495@ Rt2

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#32 Post by wltrsf » 20 May 2018 21:25

I was traveling the Turnpike between route 128(I-95) and 495 recently and I'm having trouble grasping where the boundary would be between H-PTL-2 and C-PTL-3. Is it in Grafton which is past Route 495? Route 495 from Route 2 in Littleton to I believe Route 140 in Milford is covered by cruisers on C-PTL-1. Seems a little confusing, but maybe it's just me.

User avatar
KB1FJR
Posts: 2087
Joined: 30 Aug 2005 10:58
Location: Central, MA

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#33 Post by KB1FJR » 29 May 2018 20:10

wltrsf wrote:
20 May 2018 21:25
I was traveling the Turnpike between route 128(I-95) and 495 recently and I'm having trouble grasping where the boundary would be between H-PTL-2 and C-PTL-3. Is it in Grafton which is past Route 495? Route 495 from Route 2 in Littleton to I believe Route 140 in Milford is covered by cruisers on C-PTL-1. Seems a little confusing, but maybe it's just me.
E-1 Weston (Now H-8) per the wiki that patrol area ends at Exit 11 Millbury/Grafton

I find it quite tedious to have to listen to H-PTL-2 just to here the former Troop E area that patrols the masspike in Grafton.

I only listen when I am on the Mass pike now. I used to have E-PTL-1 going at home in Grafton.

Troop H needs a channeltg to split up H-PTL-2. I don't know if this is still true, but I recall about 10 years ago MSP Foxboro dispatching on 42.340 when H-PTL-2 got busy.

wltrsf
Posts: 172
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 19:28
Location: Rt 495@ Rt2

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#34 Post by wltrsf » 30 May 2018 19:46

Yes that's what I was thinking, H-PTL-2 seems overloaded.

User avatar
JFR
Posts: 315
Joined: 21 Jul 2007 17:41
Location: Walpole, Ma

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#35 Post by JFR » 03 Jun 2018 08:42

garys wrote:
03 May 2018 11:58
I
Nice of them to port C Patrol 3 to Zone 5. Now we can listen to all of Troop C on Zone 5.
I wonder how much having all of C Troop on Zone 5 full time adds to the channel load? Can't say I've ever seen all Zone 5 channels in use at once, but I suppose it could happen now. #bonk

-JR

Lynskey 85
Posts: 1476
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 09:38
Location: Webster, MA

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#36 Post by Lynskey 85 » 03 Jun 2018 09:35

Rob, C10 Charlton is covering now up to the old Southborough Barracks. Grafton activity is actively on CPTL3
KB1FJR wrote:
29 May 2018 20:10
wltrsf wrote:
20 May 2018 21:25
I was traveling the Turnpike between route 128(I-95) and 495 recently and I'm having trouble grasping where the boundary would be between H-PTL-2 and C-PTL-3. Is it in Grafton which is past Route 495? Route 495 from Route 2 in Littleton to I believe Route 140 in Milford is covered by cruisers on C-PTL-1. Seems a little confusing, but maybe it's just me.
E-1 Weston (Now H-8) per the wiki that patrol area ends at Exit 11 Millbury/Grafton

I find it quite tedious to have to listen to H-PTL-2 just to here the former Troop E area that patrols the masspike in Grafton.

I only listen when I am on the Mass pike now. I used to have E-PTL-1 going at home in Grafton.

Troop H needs a channeltg to split up H-PTL-2. I don't know if this is still true, but I recall about 10 years ago MSP Foxboro dispatching on 42.340 when H-PTL-2 got busy.
Greg Lynskey
W2GEL
Communications Center Director - South Worcester County Communications Center

User avatar
KB1FJR
Posts: 2087
Joined: 30 Aug 2005 10:58
Location: Central, MA

Re: MSP Troop E to be eliminated

#37 Post by KB1FJR » 03 Jun 2018 20:41

That would make sense since it aligns the patrol area on the mass pike ending at Troop C's last town in the east which is Hopkinton/Southborough area. I think the best thing to do for someone who is commuting on the mass pike from say Sturbridge to Framingham would be to listen to C-PTL-3 then listen to H-PTL-2 when one get closer to Framingham area.

Post Reply