Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

This forum contains the regional forums for Massachusetts and is also for the discussion of the scanning and monitoring of Massachusetts statewide agencies.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
W1KNE
Posts: 3974
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Taunton, MA
Contact:

Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#1 Post by W1KNE » 13 Sep 2018 19:28

https://www.wcvb.com/article/latest-on- ... s/23121957
Authorities in Massachusetts say a natural gas issue is to blame for at least 39 fires that erupted in homes across communities in (Massachusetts)

A spokesman for the Andover Police Department says residents in Lawrence, North Andover and Andover whose homes are serviced by Columbia Gas were urged to evacuate on Thursday afternoon.
Not currently in a spot to monitor the MSP trunk, but the Broadcastify feeds from the area are insane.

User avatar
ScanBoston
Posts: 3206
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Boston Area
Contact:

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#2 Post by ScanBoston » 13 Sep 2018 19:51

SOPS-3 patched to AREAWIDE-4
A-PTL-1

MASSBUSMARK
Posts: 137
Joined: 16 Oct 2005 10:33
Location: Lowell MA

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#3 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 13 Sep 2018 21:59

A-PTL-3 used for MSP troopers working the incident.
BAPERN NW 482.6875 PL 146.2 with some incident traffic.
MEMA-E
Reported to be largest response/movement of fire departments since the Lynn Fire of 1981.
Mark

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3140
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#4 Post by garys » 13 Sep 2018 22:45

I know a fire LT from NH. He reports that departments as far north a Concord have responded. Running cards go up to 10 alarms, and at last count they were 20 alarms above that.

It sounds a lot like the Chelsea fire of 1974. Or was that 1973?


MASSBUSMARK wrote:
13 Sep 2018 21:59
A-PTL-3 used for MSP troopers working the incident.
BAPERN NW 482.6875 PL 146.2 with some incident traffic.
MEMA-E
Reported to be largest response/movement of fire departments since the Lynn Fire of 1981.
Mark

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4752
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#5 Post by ecps92 » 14 Sep 2018 07:48

Did anyone copy Boston Fire - Wide on Zone 5 ? 46352
Those in Metro Boston can hear it on the 700 Overlay as 2897
ScanBoston wrote:
13 Sep 2018 19:51
SOPS-3 patched to AREAWIDE-4
A-PTL-1

User avatar
jrm3607
Posts: 112
Joined: 21 Aug 2009 22:07
Location: Metro Boston
Contact:

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#6 Post by jrm3607 » 14 Sep 2018 12:02

As of today on Zone 5 I'm hearing the following

A-PTL-1 MSP Ops in Lawrence
Normal A-PTL-1 Ops are on A-PTL-3
SOPS-3 and BAPERN 4 patched for local PDs operating in Lawrence
BFD Wide has a bunch of affiliations but I have not heard activity yet today
Event 1 is patched to something (using radio ID 57459, not the normal patch ID) probably an ACU1000 (sounds too good to be a console patch), Easton Fire Engine 1 heard
LPS-1, DFS East, MEMA East and Techwide have activity on them that I did not catch

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3140
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#7 Post by garys » 14 Sep 2018 12:21

The interoperability and mutual aid were incredible for this event. I heard at least one Norwood officer doing traffic in one of the towns. Also, lot's of Area Wide 4 activity by various agencies.

I heard SOPS 3 as well.

From a radio perspective, it's proof that you don't need an 800 Mhz trunk system for wide area interop.
jrm3607 wrote:
14 Sep 2018 12:02
As of today on Zone 5 I'm hearing the following

A-PTL-1 MSP Ops in Lawrence
Normal A-PTL-1 Ops are on A-PTL-3
SOPS-3 and BAPERN 4 patched for local PDs operating in Lawrence
BFD Wide has a bunch of affiliations but I have not heard activity yet today
Event 1 is patched to something (using radio ID 57459, not the normal patch ID) probably an ACU1000 (sounds too good to be a console patch), Easton Fire Engine 1 heard
LPS-1, DFS East, MEMA East and Techwide have activity on them that I did not catch

User avatar
schwab
Posts: 526
Joined: 13 Apr 2010 11:16
Location: Rollinsford, NH

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#8 Post by schwab » 14 Sep 2018 12:29

garys wrote:
13 Sep 2018 22:45
I know a fire LT from NH. He reports that departments as far north a Concord have responded. Running cards go up to 10 alarms, and at last count they were 20 alarms above that.
Dover, Rochester, and Durham from Strafford County and several Seacoast departments (Portsmouth, Rye, North Hampton) also responded.

kenny
Posts: 1241
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 18:06
Location: Randolph, MA

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#9 Post by kenny » 14 Sep 2018 17:19

V-Tac 13, U-Tac 43 heard. I imagine the 8 Tacs are also in use

User avatar
ecps92
Posts: 4752
Joined: 07 Dec 2005 19:26
Location: South Shore, MA
Contact:

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#10 Post by ecps92 » 14 Sep 2018 18:14

I would say 8TAC93

I've noticed a pattern in the past
11, 41, 81
12, 42, 82
13, 43, 83
14, 44, 84
kenny wrote:
14 Sep 2018 17:19
V-Tac 13, U-Tac 43 heard. I imagine the 8 Tacs are also in use

kenny
Posts: 1241
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 18:06
Location: Randolph, MA

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#11 Post by kenny » 14 Sep 2018 18:36

Not receiving any 8Tacs here. Utac43 almost non stop still.

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3140
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#12 Post by garys » 14 Sep 2018 19:36

The Alpha Tags on my 1065 are holdovers from when I had a Pro 197. I just saw Itac 3 flash, but the audio was too muddy for me to make out. I'll have to do some updating on the programming (again).
kenny wrote:
14 Sep 2018 17:19
V-Tac 13, U-Tac 43 heard. I imagine the 8 Tacs are also in use

User avatar
jrm3607
Posts: 112
Joined: 21 Aug 2009 22:07
Location: Metro Boston
Contact:

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#13 Post by jrm3607 » 14 Sep 2018 21:34

ecps92 wrote:
14 Sep 2018 18:14
I would say 8TAC93

I've noticed a pattern in the past
11, 41, 81
12, 42, 82
13, 43, 83
14, 44, 84
kenny wrote:
14 Sep 2018 17:19
V-Tac 13, U-Tac 43 heard. I imagine the 8 Tacs are also in use
I can confirm that there is a patch up between UTAC43, 8TAC93 and Events-1. I didn’t hear it myself but I imagine that VTAC13 is also patched.

MASSBUSMARK
Posts: 137
Joined: 16 Oct 2005 10:33
Location: Lowell MA

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#14 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 14 Sep 2018 22:17

Also incident related traffic on Events-3 and Events-4.
Mar

User avatar
garys
Posts: 3140
Joined: 29 Aug 2005 13:07

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#15 Post by garys » 14 Sep 2018 23:15

A friend of mine did a tally of the FD and EMS unit responses. It's approximate because he did it from various news reports.

120 Engines from MA and NH.
44 Ladder companies.
More than 25 rehab, HazMat, and other special units.
About 40 ambulances from both FD and private services.
Boston EMS also sent Special Operations units to the scene.

User avatar
W1KNE
Posts: 3974
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Taunton, MA
Contact:

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#16 Post by W1KNE » 15 Sep 2018 00:31

garys wrote:
14 Sep 2018 23:15
A friend of mine did a tally of the FD and EMS unit responses. It's approximate because he did it from various news reports.

120 Engines from MA and NH.
44 Ladder companies.
More than 25 rehab, HazMat, and other special units.
About 40 ambulances from both FD and private services.
Boston EMS also sent Special Operations units to the scene.
There were FF's from York ME there too. We had them on our coverage of the event.

OceanNora
Posts: 39
Joined: 05 Mar 2018 12:57

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#17 Post by OceanNora » 15 Sep 2018 01:44

From what I've heard, it appears that Events-1 is used for fire-related operations, Events-2 is used as a coordination channel between services, Events-3 is used for LE operations with NEMLEC coordinating, and Events-4 has been seen used sparingly compared to the others and sounds like it's being used as more general emergency management functions (locating staging areas, etc).

MASSBUSMARK
Posts: 137
Joined: 16 Oct 2005 10:33
Location: Lowell MA

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#18 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 15 Sep 2018 08:54

This morning, hearing traffic on SOPS-5, police patrol activity in Lawrence, officers calling Unified Command or UCC to report being relieved at or reporting to their traffic or patrol assignments. SOPS-7, hearing what appears to be logistics, locksmith teams enroute to the Andover staging area, and UCC directing Mass DOT where to set up message board signs on Route 114 in Lawrence.
Mark

User avatar
ScanBoston
Posts: 3206
Joined: 19 Aug 2005 12:00
Location: Boston Area
Contact:

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#19 Post by ScanBoston » 15 Sep 2018 09:52

I was going to say SOPS-7 sounded like the patrols on the closed ramps and roads around the perimeter.

MASSBUSMARK
Posts: 137
Joined: 16 Oct 2005 10:33
Location: Lowell MA

Re: Massive Gas Leak - large scale incident - Lawrence-N Andover-Andover

#20 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 15 Sep 2018 15:08

This afternoon, hearing SOPS-5 patched to BAPERN Areawide 4 470.5625 PL 131.8
Events 3 now has the logistics traffic heard earlier on SOPS-7 and as you stated SOPS-7 now with police details for the closed on & off ramps from I-495.
Events-1 still has fire department activity, just heard Cambridge Fire on scene at a call in Lawrence.
Also of note, 470.525 NXDN RAN 11 TG 201- MVRTA buses running emergency service transporting evacuees and emergency personnel.
Mark

Post Reply