Maryland P25 Phase 2 700 MHz System

Scanner related discussion pertinent to anywhere in the world not covered by forum specific topics.
Scott SNE Webmaster

Maryland P25 Phase 2 700 MHz System

#1 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 06 Jun 2012 13:30

Scott - Scan New England Webmaster

garys

#2 Post by garys » 06 Jun 2012 13:59

Editorial mode on. Motorola, et al, is laughing all the way to the bank. It's amazing with all the emphasis on "interoperability" no one has looked at what we actually need. A once in a lifetime event has the entire public safety world spending millions, if not billions, on new radio gear for events that most likely will never occur again. In my portable radio, I have the channel capacity to talk to every C-Med in the state. I can talk to PDs and FDs in Quincy, Milton, Everett, Revere, Chelsea, Winthrop, Watertown, Cambridge, and Somerville, and listen to a bunch more. I can talk to MassPort and the MBTA. That doesn't even count BAMA and the UTac channels. Or the private ambulance channels that we're supposed to have someday. Of all of these, the only one that I'm likely to use is the one that I can talk to MassDot operations on. Which is one of our existing Tac channels.

OK, I'm a radio geek, so I can navigate my way around the radio, but most of the guys I work with only want one to three channels. Most can't even figure out how to set up the scan lists. Most don't even want to.

Is there a likelihood that someone in the eastern shore of Maryland is going to talk to someone on the WV state line on the other side of Maryland? Unlikely. Is someone in Fort Worth, TX going to need to talk someone in San Antonio?

What is the likelihood that I'm going to need to talk to Quincy PD? IF I really needed to, I could dial up BAPERN on my radio.

I think it's overkill and spending of a lot of taxpayer money for little benefit.

But that's just me.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

KB1FJR

#3 Post by KB1FJR » 06 Jun 2012 14:47

I agree... all what really was needed was better utilization of the current conventional systems and the V-Tacs/U-Tacs etc. to be used during a major mutual aid incident like the June 2011 tornadoes.

Also with the such huge price tag for these RISCON type systems. It is scary because we are losing public safety people due to lack of funding. Don't worry though the fire truck staffed with 2 firefighters and 1 Police officer on shift instead of 5 will be able to talk to anyone in their state.

jbella

#4 Post by jbella » 19 Jun 2012 17:26

As I've been saying for a long time; the biggest gap in interoperability is between people's ears.