Boston Logan Airport Public Safety and Operations

Information regarding the many available scanner feeds, to include updates, changes, scheduled downtime, special broadcasts, your suggestions, etc.
Pacmannion

Boston Logan Airport Public Safety and Operations

#1 Post by Pacmannion » 26 Feb 2019 13:35

I've setup a feed of Boston Logan's public safety (MSP Troop F and Massport Fire) and operations on OpenMHz.

It is by no means perfect, since it's a bit of a kludge using 3 RTL-SDR dongles and the trunk-recorder software. The antennas currently are just 3 mag whip antennas that come with the dongles, which is decent, but obviously they're not tuned for 800MHz. I'm getting a lot of 0 second recordings which means the data is corrupted, and occasional garbled recordings. It doesn't help that I'm also on the fringe of the receiving area up here in Lynn.

I plan to work out the bugs over the coming weeks but it will take some time. For now consider my feed to be in a beta status.

Anyways, it's available here:

https://openmhz.com/system/bosops
Patrick W1PAC
Lynn, MA
RadioShack Pro-668 - Yaesu VX-6R - Anytone AT-D868UV - Yaesu FT-900

n1zyy

Re: Boston Logan Airport Public Safety and Operations

#2 Post by n1zyy » 05 Mar 2019 21:25

Neat!

I've wanted something like this for a while now. The SDRs are capable of several MHz of bandwidth at once; I always wanted something that would let me monitor a bunch of it off one SDR. Looks like it does conventional as well! All of the main Boston PD channels are within about a half MHz of spectrum, and 470-473 and 482-485 would be very fruitful as well.

How do you find CPU load? Think this could run on a Raspberry Pi or does it need a "real" computer?
Matt
Lowell, MA

Pacmannion

Re: Boston Logan Airport Public Safety and Operations

#3 Post by Pacmannion » 14 Mar 2019 11:20

n1zyy wrote:
05 Mar 2019 21:25
Neat!

I've wanted something like this for a while now. The SDRs are capable of several MHz of bandwidth at once; I always wanted something that would let me monitor a bunch of it off one SDR. Looks like it does conventional as well! All of the main Boston PD channels are within about a half MHz of spectrum, and 470-473 and 482-485 would be very fruitful as well.

How do you find CPU load? Think this could run on a Raspberry Pi or does it need a "real" computer?
Sorry for the delayed reply, I was away in Atlantic City for work training. I just ran a top command, and it's averaging around 37-38% of the CPU, which is a Intel Pentium G3220T running on a used Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Tiny.

Another ham I know is active in the project and he said although it can be done with a Pi, it's better to use a real computer. The ThinkCentre M73 I'm using is pretty small with it's dimensions being 7.2" x 7.16" x 2.5". It's sitting on top of the massive other Lenovo ThinkCentre I have.

If you are going to use a Pi, it is recommended to use a Pi 3 or newer because anything else most likely won't be able to handle the load.

Thankfully, the M73 one of two was just sitting around from a HTPC project my sister did that didn't really pan out.

As for SDR bandwidth, depending on the bandwidth being used to record, a better processor is needed because to quote this page:
When a single SDR is used, each of the Recorders gets fed all of the sampled signal. Each Recorder needs to cut down the multi-megasamples per second into a small 12.5Khz sliver.
Patrick W1PAC
Lynn, MA
RadioShack Pro-668 - Yaesu VX-6R - Anytone AT-D868UV - Yaesu FT-900