New Forum

800 MHz rebanding is a hot and controversial topic. As it becomes closer to and eventually a reality, it can be discussed exclusively in this forum.
Scott SNE Webmaster

New Forum

#1 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 15 Dec 2005 18:44

By request, a forum to discuss the hot topic of 800 MHz rebanding. Discussions should be kept to rebanding issues/situations/events in the Massachusetts and surrounding areas.

John Mullaney's Scan Boston website has a page that offers a great starting point if you wish to get up to speed on how rebanding will effect scanner listening in our area and beyond. I would strongly recommend it. In addition to a well thought out explanation, it offers links to numerous sites that offer further info. You can dig deep with this topic, folks, as deep as you wish to go. It is controversial, it is the "buzz" in scanning right now.

Discuss Massachusetts and area rebanding here! Enjoy.
Scott - Scan New England Webmaster

KC2KVZ

#2 Post by KC2KVZ » 02 Jan 2006 21:17

I guess I'll ask what may be a stupid question. Has any rebanding actually occurred yet which has affected trunking system monitoring? Our area is supposed to start in April of this year. Just curious as always.

Mark SNE Moderator

#3 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 02 Jan 2006 21:25

Nope. I read somewhere (radioreference?) that Nextel was looking for some sort of extension for implementing the process. How SHOCKING!!!!
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17
http://www.tsviewer.com/locate_user.php ... &sID=42201

WRA959

#4 Post by WRA959 » 18 Nov 2006 08:44

KC2KVZ wrote:I guess I'll ask what may be a stupid question. Has any rebanding actually occurred yet which has affected trunking system monitoring? Our area is supposed to start in April of this year. Just curious as always.
This is a long and complicated process. The agency I work for (The MWRA) has had its rebanding proposal approved by the 800 MHz Transition Authority and Sprint Nextel (who is paying for it), but actual rebanding work will not start until the State Police conclude their own agreement with Sprint Nextel. This is because most of the talkgroups that many state agencies use (The DCR, MWRA, Convention Center Authority, et cetera) are controlled by the SP. While the MWRA has its own 800 MHz conventional channels, there is no point in bringing in over 1,000 portable and mobile radios twice for reprogramming. We will have the preliminary work done by the end of December. This involves determining which radios Sprint Nextel will have to replace (not all of them will lend themselves to rebanding), and developing a schedue to have the radios reprogrammed in batches. The actual rebanding date right now is unknown.

WRA959

Rebanding Update

#5 Post by WRA959 » 20 Jan 2007 08:37

Just an update abour my own experience managing my agency's rebanding process. This is the first time this has happened, so we are, in a sense, all amateurs and learning all the time. One of the big tasks is to inventory all of the portables, mobiles, base stations, bi-directional amplifiers, antennas and repeaters to determine compatability with the new frequencies. ANother is to perform an intermodulation study to see how well everything will work (The MWRA leases tower space to other government agencies and cell phone companies).

Two pleasant discoveries emerged from this. The first is that we have about 125 radios that will not be compatible with rebanding because of their age or model. This means that Nextel will have to pay for replacements. The second is that we discovered that we own a license that we completely forgot about (It was originally for Deer Island construction purposes). This will be used as a tactical channel for the Emergency Service Unit.

No actual rebanding will take place until the State Police conclude their agreement with Nextel. This is because of the dual nature of the MWRA system. While we operate four conventional 800 MHz channels, most of our operations depend on talk groups assigned to us on the MSP system, including the LPS and ITAC talk groups. There is no point in doing the actual rebanding twice and, in any event, Nextel would have reservatins about paying for it twice.

When I get new frequencies (for us) and talkgroup info (for the MSP system) I will pass them on.

ScanBoston

#6 Post by ScanBoston » 20 Jan 2007 10:06

I would even be interested in the models of radios that they tell you need to be replaced vs. which ones could be reprogrammed or reflashed. Anything you feel like you can share would help all of us sort out what is real and what is rumor in these uncharted waters. This is all very interesting stuff for two-way radio junkies such as ourselves. Thanks from a big Zone1 listener.

WRA959

Radio models

#7 Post by WRA959 » 20 Jan 2007 11:40

All of our equipment is Motorola and most of our portables are MTS 2000s. We have over 1,000 units, so the inventory is varied, with most of the older models being mobile units. We converted from a Type I system to Type II several years ago, so a lot of the older radios were replaced then. I believe that while some models themselves can't be rebanded, it is mostly dependent on the date of manufacture. I will look at the inventory and get back to you with model numbers.

ScanBoston

#8 Post by ScanBoston » 20 Jan 2007 11:59

From reading some of the Motorola rebanding material online I wasn't even sure if MTS2000's would make the cut. Thanks again this is all fascinating info to me. Its nice to be able to sort out the truth from all the rumors. It should all be quite interesting how it plays out.

jack103x

#9 Post by jack103x » 20 Jan 2007 18:32

What is the Emergency Service Unit.

Lynskey 85

#10 Post by Lynskey 85 » 20 Jan 2007 19:27

Not 100% sure what its used for, but conveniently Mike Boynton at Mass Fire Trucks just posted a photo of it: http://www.massfiretrucks.com/MWRA_ESU-2.jpg
Greg Lynskey
W2GEL
Communications Center Director - South Worcester County Communications Center

Steve473

#11 Post by Steve473 » 20 Jan 2007 19:53

As I understand it, newer (and not that new, I might add) MTS2000 can be reflashed, and will be OK. There is a lot of info on Batlabs, but I don't pay much attention there, other than dealing with radios I have - none of which are 800MHz.

Alarmroom

Rebanding

#12 Post by Alarmroom » 21 Jan 2007 09:28

We win West Hartford, CT are rebanding and so far Johnson 7780', GTX, LTS2000,Maxtracs, and possibily some Spectras. MCS2000 and MTS2000 are pretty well set for the change, which is software driven. There already has been as change in the XTS portables within the first of the year.

WRA959

Emergency Service Unit

#13 Post by WRA959 » 21 Jan 2007 10:19

The ESU is made up of MWRA employees from different disciplines who have collateral emergency duties. The federal Bio-Terrorism Act of 2002 required every water provider to have the capability to perform emergency testing of their water to alleviate concerns about intentional contamination. The feds called this Site Characterization.

The MWRA already had people that performed emergency work, including confined space rescue and there was a rescue truck that we operated on Deer Island. So it was a logical jump to create our own organization to do this, but we wanted to give the organization more flexibility, which is why I decided on the ESU name and organizational model.

There are 24 members divided into squads. Squads A and B each comprise 12 members and are used to provide rotating coverage. Squad C is made up of those members who work in the Southborough/Wachusett/Quabbin area.and Squad W is composed of members with wastewater expertise. The Deer Island rescue and Hazmat unit is currently calledthe Emergency Response Team, but will eventually become Squad D and a new unit designed to handle reservoir spills will become Squad E.

There are several vehicles assigned to this organization. ESU-2 is a 2005 GMC 5500-series 4WD with a 10kw generator, personal protective equipment, forcible entry tools, hazmat, lighting, confined space rescue tools, 8 SCBAs and 8 spare bottles. Most importantly, it carries air, water and biological measuring and testing equipment that we would use if we thought that there was any interntional or accidental contaminant introduced into the system. (On the air it is referred to as WRA851). ESU-3 is a 19-ft. dual axle trailer that is used to carry decontamination equipment. ESU-4, which will be delivered soon, will be a 2006 GMC 4500 series 4WD equipped with booms and Hazmatequipment to respond to spills. We also have an ATV, and an older Blazer and a pickup.

These vehicles were purchased with Homeland Security money. The MWRA and DCR also maintain several spill control trailers around the Quabbin and Wachusettand reservoirs and have bought trailers and boats for fire departments in the towns surrounding the Wachusett Reservoir.

Deltaalpha1

#14 Post by Deltaalpha1 » 18 Mar 2011 01:16

The only thing I do know of thus far is that Nashua, NH PD had rebanded

Deltaalpha1

#15 Post by Deltaalpha1 » 18 Mar 2011 01:19

Scott SNE Webmaster wrote:By request, a forum to discuss the hot topic of 800 MHz rebanding. Discussions should be kept to rebanding issues/situations/events in the Massachusetts and surrounding areas.

John Mullaney's Scan Boston website has a page that offers a great starting point if you wish to get up to speed on how rebanding will effect scanner listening in our area and beyond. I would strongly recommend it. In addition to a well thought out explanation, it offers links to numerous sites that offer further info. You can dig deep with this topic, folks, as deep as you wish to go. It is controversial, it is the "buzz" in scanning right now.

Discuss Massachusetts and area rebanding here! Enjoy.

I agree that Scan Boston is the best source to look at. This site & scan Boston is rated #1 in my book. :pint:

Scott SNE Webmaster

#16 Post by Scott SNE Webmaster » 18 Mar 2011 08:16

Again....WHY are you dredging up threads that are several years old???
Scott - Scan New England Webmaster