Rhode Island Statewide (RIS) notification group

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Rhode Island.
IggyWFD

Rhode Island Statewide (RIS) notification group

#1 Post by IggyWFD » 29 Nov 2012 07:44

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this new group and what freqs, they use? I recently came across them on facebook and reading their post I saw comments regarding testing off their repeater system.
John
BC IV, BC H/L, BC210, BC100, BC350A, BC100XLT, 996XT, 396t, 436, HP1

KB1UAM

#2 Post by KB1UAM » 29 Nov 2012 10:53

Is that the official name of the group? Negative results on search???

IggyWFD

#3 Post by IggyWFD » 29 Nov 2012 11:51

Threre is a listing for a website...but it is not online yet...I exchanged FB messages with the admin, I was informed that they are in the building stages for now but are due to roll it out officially Jan 1.....no other info was given...
John
BC IV, BC H/L, BC210, BC100, BC350A, BC100XLT, 996XT, 396t, 436, HP1

Costanza

#4 Post by Costanza » 27 Dec 2012 22:03

See the following post from Oct. TGID is 0 - 12 - 151 on the Radiophone Cranston LTR Trunk

http://www.scan-ne.net/forums/showthrea ... highlight=
Also:
Here is the Cranston RI site linkfrom Radio Reference to the Trunk system Freqs; http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3762
They may also be on the Exeter RI site as well. Here is the RR link to other Trunk Systems in RI: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=44&tab=trs
IggyWFD wrote:Hi I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this new group and what freqs, they use? I recently came across them on facebook and reading their post I saw comments regarding testing off their repeater system.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#5 Post by ecps92 » 28 Dec 2012 08:35

SNE Wiki
The Wiki could use some help while looking for the Buff group on the Cranston LTR
also Exeters LTRcould use some work too
Costanza wrote:See the following post from Oct. TGID is 0 - 12 - 151 on the Radiophone Cranston LTR Trunk

http://www.scan-ne.net/forums/showthrea ... highlight=
Also:
Here is the Cranston RI site linkfrom Radio Reference to the Trunk system Freqs; http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3762
They may also be on the Exeter RI site as well. Here is the RR link to other Trunk Systems in RI: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=44&tab=trs
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ris01

#6 Post by ris01 » 06 Feb 2013 23:11

Greetings everyone. Just an update. We are utilizing the RPC trunk mostly for general chat. We are now operating at 463.775 pl 167.9 for main operations. Site is located in West Warwick. I saw some questions regarding our website. It's up and fully running at www.rhodeislandstatewide.com. Feel free to stop in for visit!
Michael Ippolito
Operations Manager Radio-PhoneCommunications
Director Rhode Island Statewide
Car 1

Citywide 173

#7 Post by Citywide 173 » 01 Apr 2014 00:46

Found this Twitter Post today:

**MEMBERS** Postponing the NXDN switch by about a week or so while I finalize some things at the shop and roll out the new RIS subdivision.

not sure what my thoughts are.
Ed Burke
Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
KD1EMS WQRD823

ris01

#8 Post by ris01 » 01 Apr 2014 08:16

Meaning what Ed?

It's been our design since we launched last year to move to the shop's NXDN network due to the coverage it affords us. That intention has been on our website since day one and I've had a significant amount of members buy radios. The goal was to be completely self sufficient and lower our overall operating costs. A single conventional frequency will continue to operate as a notification channel only to continue to perform the "notification" function.

Just kind of curious what you mean...
Michael Ippolito
Car 1

Citywide 173

#9 Post by Citywide 173 » 01 Apr 2014 13:57

Wasn't meant as anything against the system, just that notification networks are almost a thing of the past as it is. I didn't realize that the conventional channel would remain up, which makes it a non-issue, and I was thinking that moving to NXDN would be more of a detriment than benefit. I have the capability to monitor, but I know that there are enough people in the area complaining about not being able to monitor the RISCON system (that rely on the notification networks to know whats going on) that losing the ability to monitor a buff network would be a nail in the coffin of the hobby.
Ed Burke
KD1EMS WQRD823

ris01

#10 Post by ris01 » 01 Apr 2014 14:11

Ah I get ya...I apologize if I came off sounding harsh, it was early and I hadn't had any coffee yet.

I've experienced just the opposite, as far as my members go at least, that they loved the idea of switching to the NXDN trunk considering the huge footprint it's giving the group with interconnected sites. The notification part of it is definitely driving the keeping up of the conventional channel. In essence all you will ever hear on that channel is "Statewide announcing a working fire in xyz" with updates. All the non-critical comms, in and out of service, responding, hey you want a coffee...will be conducted on NXDN. We are also going to be rolling out a conventional radio group as a spinoff of RIS to accommodate those members who didn't want to/couldn't afford to buy new radios.

I realize the hobby is hurting. Everyone has twitter and Facebook and wants to get the information out first. Would love to assist and work with other groups locally to us but that has been made clear that isn't going to happen due to personality conflicts...and I'm ok with that. Reality is we started RIS, not to shut anyone down or make anyone look bad or steal membership, but to do things a little differently...and for that we've been "blacklisted" in a way.

All that aside...we have a strong membership base and we are doing what we love and trying to keep the hobby alive in any way we can.

And yes...RISCON is a pain in the rear...lol
Michael Ippolito
Car 1

Citywide 173

#11 Post by Citywide 173 » 08 May 2017 00:28

Yes, waking a long asleep thread. Looking at the Facebook group page, there hasn't been activity since 2015. Any idea if they're still active?
Ed Burke
KD1EMS WQRD823

ris01

#12 Post by ris01 » 08 May 2017 09:02

Citywide 173 wrote:Yes, waking a long asleep thread. Looking at the Facebook group page, there hasn't been activity since 2015. Any idea if they're still active?

Waking a long asleep account to answer the long asleep thread ;) The group was merged back into PCFN during the middle of last year. While there was nothing wrong and the group was relatively active with a great core membership I ended up with a job in Illinois and moved. With no one else to really take over and an urging by the community before I left we mended ties with PCFN and moved our members over. Hope this answers your ??.
Michael Ippolito
Car 1

Citywide 173

#13 Post by Citywide 173 » 08 May 2017 09:10

It does, thank you
Ed Burke
KD1EMS WQRD823