Coventry Police VHF and UHF frequencies?

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Rhode Island.
JL2500

Coventry Police VHF and UHF frequencies?

#1 Post by JL2500 » 19 Jul 2017 14:37

Hello Everyone,
Recently, I did an FCC license search for the Town of Coventry and found five separate frequencies (apart from the RISCON frequencies or talkgroups, of course) actively registered for use by the police department as either base stations or repeaters. The frequencies are:
Since Coventry Police operations are primarily on RISCON, I almost never hear anything from these frequencies. As a matter of fact, I have only heard any radio traffic at all on two frequencies: 154.725 and 460.5. I believe 154.725 is used for communication with either off-duty or detail officers, and 460.5 just occasionally breaks out into several quick bursts of white noise (I did receive a fragment of a voice transmission on it once, though). Could anybody help me determine what these frequencies are used for?
Thanks,
James
James
Coventry, RI

ecps92

#2 Post by ecps92 » 20 Jul 2017 10:42

Not much there.

As far as I know, Coventry PD is RISCON 800. They may have maintained
some of their old VHF infrastructure, but we don't hear anything on them.
Also, it could be a paper pusher, just renewing the license[s]

What you are likely hearing is other things. Unlike many other PD's
Coventry never went to aircards for data, but insisted on using
a VHF system, that did not work mostly because the data antenna
was next to the voice antenna. They grabbed the UHF channels
to fix that, but the data demands of the RMS forced them to aircards.

The VHF & UHF channels are still licensed, but I doubt they are still used. The key is look
at a CPD vehicle, it only has a Motorola 800 mhz antenna on it.

Bridgeport CT in active and P25 and encrypted on 154.7250.
They can be heard in RI most of the time, and Coventry has some
very high locations, so it is probably them. Ditto on 460.500,
which is likely Boston PD Most of Boston PD
puts a solid signal down in that area, except in the valleys.

And, this Summer the band opennings have been unbelievable.

Do a search, and you get tons of P25 and DMR stuff from everywhere, even on the traditional police
frequency allocations.

I know folks keep getting a DMR CC on 472 Mhz, which turned out to be OneVoice, out of Rockland
County, NY.

Hope this helps..
JL2500 wrote:Hello Everyone,
Recently, I did an FCC license search for the Town of Coventry and found five separate frequencies (apart from the RISCON frequencies or talkgroups, of course) actively registered for use by the police department as either base stations or repeaters. The frequencies are:
Since Coventry Police operations are primarily on RISCON, I almost never hear anything from these frequencies. As a matter of fact, I have only heard any radio traffic at all on two frequencies: 154.725 and 460.5. I believe 154.725 is used for communication with either off-duty or detail officers, and 460.5 just occasionally breaks out into several quick bursts of white noise (I did receive a fragment of a voice transmission on it once, though). Could anybody help me determine what these frequencies are used for?
Thanks,
James
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

JL2500

#3 Post by JL2500 » 20 Jul 2017 20:55

ecps92 wrote:Not much there.

As far as I know, Coventry PD is RISCON 800. They may have maintained
some of their old VHF infrastructure, but we don't hear anything on them.
Also, it could be a paper pusher, just renewing the license[s]

What you are likely hearing is other things. Unlike many other PD's
Coventry never went to aircards for data, but insisted on using
a VHF system, that did not work mostly because the data antenna
was next to the voice antenna. They grabbed the UHF channels
to fix that, but the data demands of the RMS forced them to aircards.

The VHF & UHF channels are still licensed, but I doubt they are still used. The key is look
at a CPD vehicle, it only has a Motorola 800 mhz antenna on it.

Bridgeport CT in active and P25 and encrypted on [url=tel:154.7250]154.7250[/url].
They can be heard in RI most of the time, and Coventry has some
very high locations, so it is probably them. Ditto on 460.500,
which is likely Boston PD Most of Boston PD
puts a solid signal down in that area, except in the valleys.

And, this Summer the band opennings have been unbelievable.

Do a search, and you get tons of P25 and DMR stuff from everywhere, even on the traditional police
frequency allocations.

I know folks keep getting a DMR CC on 472 Mhz, which turned out to be OneVoice, out of Rockland
County, NY.

Hope this helps..
Thanks for your help! I was able to confirm that 154.725 is just a secondary channel for detail chitchat. As for 460.5, it most likely is some distant police department. And thanks for the info about the aircards, I figured it was odd that they had 5 conventional channels even after fully migrating to RISCON.
James
Coventry, RI

ecps92

#4 Post by ecps92 » 21 Jul 2017 09:59

See what you get for a PL/DPL on that Chit-Chat channel and post it and make a submission for the Wiki
JL2500 wrote:Thanks for your help! I was able to confirm that 154.725 is just a secondary channel for detail chitchat. As for 460.5, it most likely is some distant police department. And thanks for the info about the aircards, I figured it was odd that they had 5 conventional channels even after fully migrating to RISCON.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"