Maine Looking at Reclassifying Dispatcher Retirement

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Maine.
dogmandew

Maine Looking at Reclassifying Dispatcher Retirement

#1 Post by dogmandew » 20 Apr 2019 18:36

From the Press Herald:
Legislators on Monday will hear testimony on a bill that would open up special state retirement plans that previously were available only to police, fire and emergency medical service personnel. The legislation is part of a years-long effort by advocates to include dispatchers and emergency 911 call operators in the popular definition of who is considered a first responder, acknowledging the critical role they play in ensuring public safety throughout Maine and the nation.
If passed into law, the measure would allow dispatchers or their representatives to negotiate for retirement benefits that kick in after 20 or 25 years of service, instead of alternative plans that would require decades longer service or for workers to reach 62 1/2 years old
Original article link

I know there's been talk about moving dispatchers in Mass to Group 2 which is an improvement but not as good as this, but it never seems to get off the ground. This is a huge win if it goes through. Makes me wish I'd pulled the trigger on moving to Maine when I had the chance.

Lynskey 85

Re: Maine Looking at Reclassifying Dispatcher Retirement

#2 Post by Lynskey 85 » 21 Apr 2019 09:46

The Mass efforts have gotten off the ground. Last legislative cycle they made it all the way to Ways and Means which is significant. This cycle they have been refiled and luckily have some support in avenues they didn't last time that should get them at least as far. More info can be found here: http://ma911.org/initiatives/telecommun ... ification/
Greg Lynskey
W2GEL
Communications Center Director - South Worcester County Communications Center