Oxford County Sheriff's dispatch—possible to not get all repeaters?

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Maine.
kbroderick

Oxford County Sheriff's dispatch—possible to not get all repeaters?

#1 Post by kbroderick » 22 Aug 2019 12:21

If I'm reading the Oxford County Sheriff info correctly (https://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php? ... Department), the dispatch system involves a number of linked repeaters. The input tones are different (so a unit attempting to reach out doesn't get picked up by two different repeaters), but the output frequency and PL tone is identical across all sites. Does that then mean that there's no way to program an analog receiver to only pick up certain repeater sites?

(logically, it seems so to me, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something). It seems like if I turn the squelch up far enough to avoid the not-close-enough repeater sites breaking squelch, I end up missing traffic from closer repeaters. My brain can generally deal with post-radio filtering, but my wife reacts very poorly to the transmissions that are just strong enough to break squelch but not strong enough to be understandable.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: Oxford County Sheriff's dispatch—possible to not get all repeaters?

#2 Post by ecps92 » 22 Aug 2019 15:03

Correct. The User [LE] selects which repeater they wish to access, yet the Repeater[s] outputs are all the same.
So if you were high enough, Yes you could possibly hear any of them, even as they select the farthest away

IF you want to try and block out the farther away repeaters, [depending on your scanner] see if you can do "ATT" for attenuation on ONLY that Freq, not everything.
This might work better than adjusting the squelch, all depends on how far away you are from your LOCAL repeater
kbroderick wrote:
22 Aug 2019 12:21
If I'm reading the Oxford County Sheriff info correctly (https://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php? ... Department), the dispatch system involves a number of linked repeaters. The input tones are different (so a unit attempting to reach out doesn't get picked up by two different repeaters), but the output frequency and PL tone is identical across all sites. Does that then mean that there's no way to program an analog receiver to only pick up certain repeater sites?

(logically, it seems so to me, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something). It seems like if I turn the squelch up far enough to avoid the not-close-enough repeater sites breaking squelch, I end up missing traffic from closer repeaters. My brain can generally deal with post-radio filtering, but my wife reacts very poorly to the transmissions that are just strong enough to break squelch but not strong enough to be understandable.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"