VSP on Federal Interop- no more?

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Vermont.
VermontCUCV

VSP on Federal Interop- no more?

#1 Post by VermontCUCV » 07 Jul 2018 18:20

Title says it all.

I hadn't realized that I heard no traffic at all on 163.100, 163.350, or 168.350 in a while.

After a road trip earlier this week, I am pretty much convinced that their VHF simplex is now on "Nationwide LE Common" 155.4825, CSQ. All of the sorts of informal and car-to-car type chats that were on the federal interops now seem to be there.

FWIW, I first logged VSP on that frequency only a month or so ago, so it may be fairly newly-programmed. I haven't had the chance to run into anyone from the agency that I know well enough to ask.

Happy monitoring!

ecps92

Re: VSP on Federal Interop- no more?

#2 Post by ecps92 » 11 Jul 2018 08:21

It always made me wonder why VSP has VHF when they are really a UHF Network.

BTW anyone in/around Royalston - changes made, adding 3 Freqs in 453 and likely abandoning the 460 channel as of Yesterday
http://rts.vermont.gov/news-and-issues

ROYALTON CHANNEL CHANGES
When: JULY 10, 2018 - channel changes should be pre-installed prior to change

Please take note that the Royalton Vermont State Police radio system channels will change on JULY 10, 2018. The system is being upgraded to provide consistent coverage throughout the region using a multi-cast design that will transmit and receive using three sites. The multi-cast system will require mobile users to determine the best mobile receive coverage for their current location and make adjustments as they move throughout the region. The three channels for the system are completely different from the original Royalton VSP channel so all users must have their radios updated.

Below are the new channels:

Royalton Russ Hill Mobile Tx 458.3625 PL 156.7 Mobile Rx 453.3625 PL 156.7
Royalton Killington Mobile Tx 458.3625 PL 156.7 Mobile Rx 453.7500 PL 156.7
Royalton Ascutney Mobile Tx 458.3625 PL 156.7 Mobile Rx 453.1625 PL 156.7
WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF THIS:

The upgrade will take place on a single day -- JULY 10, 2018. Once the upgrade is complete, you will not be able to communicate with any dispatch center on the original channels. The original frequencies will no longer work. Please contact your radio service provider to update your radio programming. Your provider can pre-install the new Royalton frequencies into your mobile and portable units prior to the change so that you will be ready to use the upgraded system once the switchover is made.

REMINDER OF PREVIOUS CHANNEL UPDATES
VermontCUCV wrote:
07 Jul 2018 18:20
Title says it all.

I hadn't realized that I heard no traffic at all on 163.100, 163.350, or 168.350 in a while.

After a road trip earlier this week, I am pretty much convinced that their VHF simplex is now on "Nationwide LE Common" 155.4825, CSQ. All of the sorts of informal and car-to-car type chats that were on the federal interops now seem to be there.

FWIW, I first logged VSP on that frequency only a month or so ago, so it may be fairly newly-programmed. I haven't had the chance to run into anyone from the agency that I know well enough to ask.

Happy monitoring!

VermontCUCV

Re: VSP on Federal Interop- no more?

#3 Post by VermontCUCV » 14 Jul 2018 15:04

ecps92 wrote:
11 Jul 2018 08:21
It always made me wonder why VSP has VHF when they are really a UHF Network.
In the present day, my understanding is that the radios are installed for interoperability with the many fire departments that use VHF, as well as federal agencies.

Many many years ago I was chatting with one of the gurus of Scanner Master who compiled the big books. He told me a story that I've never heard anyone else repeat. Legend has it that VSP was using low band simplex for decades. Sometime in the 70s or 80s, Hartford, CT (I believe), upgraded their then-all-simplex UHF system and sold all of the equipment to VT for pennies on the dollar. VSP then put it on the air with UHF simplex only. Some barracks operated as remote bases, as they had with the low band setup, whereas some had an antenna on site. Repeaters were slow to appear and were rolled out just in time for the CT surplus needing to be overhauled and replaced.