CT new radio system activity

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Connecticut.
cdgordon

CT new radio system activity

#1 Post by cdgordon » 01 Dec 2018 14:27

I was sending someone an email several days ago about the number of new systems and towns joining other systems. I figure I will post the same info here simply to pass it on.

- Windsor voters have approved spending money for a new town wide radio system. Possibly joining the State system but sounds like it is preliminary. WPD is off the LTR TRS now.
- Bloomfield talking about a new system for the town. Sounds like they are in discussion with Windsor about joining their effort. Recently tested on the CT SW P25 system.
- Avon looking at a new P25 UHF TRS. Their referendum is scheduled for 12/12/2018. They refuse to join any part of the statewide system instead choosing to build their own.
- Middletown has built and is currently testing their new 800MHz P25 P2 trunked system. The 9 site system will be for all city agencies.

CT STatewide 700/800 P25 P2 system.
Progress is being made with several new cells online in the last several months. Keep in mind that until the full switchover, a conversation may not necessarily be heard on the P25 part of the system. In some cases, only one radio may be affiliated on a Troop's P25 talkgroup. If they shut off that radio and there are no radios affiliated on that cell for that talk group, the traffic will not be transmitted. Once certain radios (office radios, consoles, etc) are migrated over, the traffic will be more reliably heard.
I believe Troops B, D, K, and L still have to be finished. I also don't know if all the sites are switched on for each of the newer cells that are already on the air.
Once the new system is fully online, expect a number of new State agencies to be on it. CONNDOT has been testing and

As many will know, a number of municipal police departments will be joining the (soon to be) Statewide P25 P2 system.
- Stonington PD - credited with doing all the initial work by setting up an agreement with the state, they are trying to get Harris portables accepted by the state for use on the system.
- Groton PD will likely be the first to go live with it expected to happen by Christmas. Groton Long Point PD will be with them.
- Norwich PD - residents voted in the November referendum to replace the PD radio system. They have stated they hope to go live in late 2019
I would be surprised if Hartford wasn't looking at this especially if the Harris radios are approved. Stonington, Groton, Hartford and now Torrington all have ex-CSP troopers as their chiefs. Torrington FD indicates they want to go to the system.

I am sure there are a bunch that I missed. I rarely hear radio news from SW CT.

chris

jrm3607

Re: CT new radio system activity

#2 Post by jrm3607 » 08 Dec 2018 21:50

So I ran into a document recently that listed several new interop channels on the DESPP/CTS Trunk that are new to me. Not sure if anyone has any info on TGIDs.

CONNCOM 1 - either TG1501 or 2033?
CONNCOM 2 - ?
CT TAC A - ?
CT TAC B - ?
CT TAC C - ?
CT TAC D - ?
CT TAC E - ?
CT TAC F - ?
CT TAC G - ?
CT TAC H - ?
CT TAC I - ?
CT TAC J - ?
CONNSEC 1 - ? ENC
CONNSEC 2 - ? ENC
CTSECTAC 1 - ? ENC
CTSECTAC 2 - ? ENC
CTSECTAC 3 - ? ENC
CTSECTAC 4 - ? ENC
CTSECTAC 5 - ? ENC
CTSECTAC 6 - ? ENC
CTSECTAC 7 - ? ENC
CTSECTAC 8 - ? ENC

cdgordon

#3 Post by cdgordon » 09 Dec 2018 09:03

I think those were all added around the time of rebanding, 2012 perhaps? As you show, about half are secure talk groups. the others are clear. When the P25 upgrade is complete, it is looking like many of the interop talkgroups will be realigned to a new template. This is probably why there are some groups that show 2 different TGs assigned.
These you posted are all very rarely used with total activity on them only a couple times a year. Perhaps with more varied users coming to the system there will be more of a need.
The clear Tac TGs are odd numbers from 3047 (A), the secure tacs uses each number from 4071 (1).

chris

jrm3607

#4 Post by jrm3607 » 09 Dec 2018 09:51

cdgordon wrote:
09 Dec 2018 09:03
I think those were all added around the time of rebanding, 2012 perhaps? As you show, about half are secure talk groups. the others are clear. When the P25 upgrade is complete, it is looking like many of the interop talkgroups will be realigned to a new template. This is probably why there are some groups that show 2 different TGs assigned.
These you posted are all very rarely used with total activity on them only a couple times a year. Perhaps with more varied users coming to the system there will be more of a need.
The clear Tac TGs are odd numbers from 3047 (A), the secure tacs uses each number from 4071 (1).

chris
Will be interesting to see what happens as the system continues to get built out. Thank you for the insight!

cdgordon

#5 Post by cdgordon » 14 Dec 2018 12:11

The Avon system was approved by voters on 12/12/2018 and they stated it will take a year to build.

chris