Ham license?

A forum for the discussion of all aspects of amateur radio, but with emphasis on amateur radio operation in our coverage area. HF, VHF, UHF, P25, DStar, packet, anything amateur radio related is welcome here.
rwl

Ham license?

Post by rwl »

I'm thinking of getting my Ham license. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to go about this?

Thanks Bob
JBP
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by JBP »

Take a few practice tests on qrz.com, http://www.qrz.com/ht/?op=start&t=t2010 , figure out what parts of the exam you already know and which you do not, then study those parts.

There are many web based study resources and many study guide books, use which ever works best for you.

Chances are if you have good basic radio/electronics knowledge and can understand the FCC rules, you'll need to do very little studying for the Technician test.
Jeremy
KB1REQ (DMR-MARC: 3125125)
N1BHH
Silent Key

Post by N1BHH »

Here's one way to get started, go to the ARRL website for all the materials you'll need. Find also on that website, takes a few clicks, search for local clubs. There you can find an Elmer and be brought in the right way by someone who's been there. Yes, the internet has resources, but the only way to really go is with someone you can call or visit locally and they can guide you along. Also go to Ham Radio Outlet in Salem, NH and speak with the folks there, they can help you as well. Tell them you are looking for Peter, he's an old friend and can point you in the right direction.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-Lice ... nd-Edition
CLYDE - N1BHH - A KNOW-CODE AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR / WQWJ272 - GMRS
Pro94 Pro106 Pro164 Pro197 Pro2006 Pro2015 Pro2021 Pro2055
Yaesu's FT60R, FT2900R & FT8800R, Icom IC735, Motorola MTX9250 (900 MHz.)
ScanBoston
Super Idiot

Post by ScanBoston »

These guys charge but they have a great system http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/
Try there free sample I think you will be impressed. I did my Tech just using the free parts of the site but I likes it so much that I signed up and payed afterwards as I thought it was a great thing.
luckyjoe

Post by luckyjoe »

I agree, go to the ARRL site and purchase the license manuals, it is all written test now, multiple choice. Then inquire about local ham clubs in your area, many offer up exams periodically, and some offer classes to help study the material. It is a great hobby, I've enjoyed it for over 30 years, met alot of good friends in many countries, and there are many facets of the hobby, from HF, VHF, UHF, and satellite comms etc. It will go nicely with your monitoring hobby. Scott WB1FBP
rwl

Post by rwl »

Thanks for all the replys. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. But it will be fun.

Thanks Bob