RACES to be decommisioned april 1st transitioning to ACS

A forum for the discussion of all aspects of amateur radio, but with emphasis on amateur radio operation in our coverage area. HF, VHF, UHF, P25, DStar, packet, anything amateur radio related is welcome here.
KB1UAM

Post by KB1UAM »

last night was the last night of the monthly RACEs nets on 2 meter frequencies throughout the state. this is in response to big changes in technology, ACS is short for amateur communications system. here is a link so you can read more about this new system. http://ares.ema.arrl.org/local/PR_ACS2.pdf.
Citywide 173

Post by Citywide 173 »

Enough double talk in there to confuse most....what I read is that only those that MEMA wants in the new ACS program are gonna get in. Once they start talking about security guidelines, and the term "post 9/11" is used, it can only mean that they are trying to shut the general public out. They are using national security as an excuse to get rid of something that even though it is not used a lot, still has it's place. In reality, the transition to the WEBEOC (which I have access to-and it ain't that impressive), is the equivalent of a police department going encrypted. They don't want the public having any insight to how little they actually do.
Ed Burke
Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
KD1EMS WQRD823 WRZG255
KB1UAM

Post by KB1UAM »

i couldn't agree with you more citywide, but they do seem to be promoting the vhf radio system, they also stated that they will still be doing the monthly nets but under the new name of ACS
boatsmate

Post by boatsmate »

its not jsut MEMA that wants the change, check with the ARRL. they want to change it also. MEMA is not doing away with ham radio they are making it open to more than Ham radio operators. and are still going to use ARES and Skywarn. Races is the old Civl Defense. all I can say is to wait till the new program comes out and you will see what I mean
KB1FJR
Location: Central, MA now Lexington, NC (still visit MA and CT regularly

Post by KB1FJR »

The MEMA VHF system is pretty impressive when in use for large scale events.

I don't know why the MEMA units have to sign on and off the air when not at an incident.
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Practice makes Perfect.
If you don't use it, you loose the skill-set.
KB1FJR wrote:The MEMA VHF system is pretty impressive when in use for large scale events.

I don't know why the MEMA units have to sign on and off the air when not at an incident.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"
KB1FJR

Post by KB1FJR »

That's what I'm thinking. To teach them proper radio decorum so when a MEMA unit gets on scene like at the Brimfield Fire they know the procedures.
boatsmate

Post by boatsmate »

also makes sure that all the radios are working..... both the towers and the veh.
NIGHTHAWK01

Post by NIGHTHAWK01 »

RACES in WMass has very little community participation. Southwick is organized, Springfield has three hams in the Emergency Management EOC, and couple of other towns utilize the amateur radio members to assist in their EOC or shelter operations.

At least in WMass the RACES program never really got off the ground with support to the communities. There were 3 to 5 hams that would staff the region III hq, but what they did, is apparently "secret squirrel". I know personally after last year's freak snowstorm, where I lost electricity, cellphone & land line phone for 3 days, the RACES folks were no where to be found. Fortunately there was one ham in the area (not affected by the storm) that was monitoring 24 hours a day in case a ham needed assistance. There was absolutely NO organizational effort at the RACES region III level.

Frankly I think hams are looking to use their radios when the radios aren't needed, and could best help their communities by just selling their knowledge/attitude to help in the local communities' Emergency Operations Center. Keep their ham radios in their vehicles for "just in case". Otherwise there's really no need for ham radios IF the license public safety system can handle the emergency.

HOWEVER, I understand that MEMA is considering purchasing amateur radio equipment for all their regions, so hopefully at least here in the WMass area, perhaps in the future they will be able to assist individual hams in communities to relay back emergency conditions to the appropriate community IF cellphone/land line phones are down.
Ken
Chicopee, MA
N1BHH
Silent Key

Post by N1BHH »

It's not like it was 20-30 years ago when every one of those towns from Worcester on west had loads of guys in each town, ready to help out. There is no longer the spirit it once had, to feel you were a contributor, to assist whenever needed.
CLYDE - N1BHH - A KNOW-CODE AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR / WQWJ272 - GMRS
Pro94 Pro106 Pro164 Pro197 Pro2006 Pro2015 Pro2021 Pro2055
Yaesu's FT60R, FT2900R & FT8800R, Icom IC735, Motorola MTX9250 (900 MHz.)
KB1FJR

Post by KB1FJR »

Plus the hobby is getting older... if the older guys who know a lot of stuff.. would get out of their cliques and talk to the younger people about radio ones who are interested things would work out better. I took care of an older ham once and I learned a lot about basic HF stuff that I couldn't learn from reading a book. I still find it fascinating the distance of HF.

back in the day it wasn't un common from what I hear for hams to respond to large emergencies. most public radio systems are modern enough to handle a lot of abuse.

However to be fair this happens with almost every hobby.