Trunk88 and Unitrunker

Discussion of SDR's and their use in the Scan New England listening area.
garys

Trunk88 and Unitrunker

#1 Post by garys » 09 Sep 2018 13:57

It's been a couple of years since I've used either and I've pretty much forgotten how to set them up.

I've found what appears to be an ICE analog UHF system on the Quincy tower. I don't know if it's active other than the control channel of 461.5125. DSD+ isn't going to help with that, so I decided to give one of the other programs a try.

I tried to find help online, but other than some posts at RR, there isn't much.

Can someone either give me a quick tutorial or point me towards a resource?

I know that if I want to program this into a scanner, I need to figure out the base and offsets, but that's a different problem.

Thanks,

Gary

cdgordon

Re: Trunk88 and Unitrunker

#2 Post by cdgordon » 09 Sep 2018 16:37

Unitrunker is probably the easiest to start with but I prefer Trunk88 for everyday use with Motorola systems. However, the ability to do many types of systems gives Unitrunker a big edge over Trunk88 which only does Motorola Type II. If you think you are going to need to relearn Unitrunker, I would suggest doing it with the latest version (still in Beta) by joining the Google Group for Unitrunker. That provides links to the latest Beta releases.

If you use the original version, use the Guide at this site for setting up Unitrunker:
http://utahradio.org/mediawiki/index.ph ... nker_Guide

chris

garys

#3 Post by garys » 09 Sep 2018 17:27

Thanks Chris. I found an older tutorial that I missed in my first search. I got Unitrunker working on MSP Zone 5. More accurately, I got the R820T2 dongle to follow the data on the control channel. I haven't had any luck getting it set up on the UHF system, but I'm going to try again now that I know that it work. I didn't have any luck getting Airspy to work as the voice channel. The tutorial I found is dated before Airspy came on the scene, so there is no information there.

I'll download the latest version of Unitrunker and see if that works.

Any hints on determining the base and offsets? I used to know how to do that, but it's been a while.
cdgordon wrote:
09 Sep 2018 16:37
Unitrunker is probably the easiest to start with but I prefer Trunk88 for everyday use with Motorola systems. However, the ability to do many types of systems gives Unitrunker a big edge over Trunk88 which only does Motorola Type II. If you think you are going to need to relearn Unitrunker, I would suggest doing it with the latest version (still in Beta) by joining the Google Group for Unitrunker. That provides links to the latest Beta releases.

If you use the original version, use the Guide at this site for setting up Unitrunker:
http://utahradio.org/mediawiki/index.ph ... nker_Guide

chris

cdgordon

#4 Post by cdgordon » 10 Sep 2018 03:31

If you have one channel number and the frequency, you can probably make a decent guess of it. I have used Excel for setting up a spreadsheet of all the UHF combinations before but a calculator is usually enough.
Frequency minus (Channel number times step size)
For example, in my old chart for Passport, Ch 164 is 452.0500. So 164 x .0125=2.05 452.0500 minus 2.05 is 450.0000, so that would be the base. If the numbers seem high, it could be a step of 6.25KHz.

Keep in mind that 450=Channel 0 so if you set up a spreadsheet, that would be your first entry. Something like this will calculate a base of 450 & step of 12.5KHz:
0 450.0000
A1+1 B1+.0125

Then copy the second row down through the next 1200 rows and paste (more if you have T Band channels). Once you have the channels set up, copy everything, and "Paste Values". That replaces all the formulas in the cells with the results. You can then go through and get rid of the input side and keep 451-453.9875 and 461-464.9875 deleting the rest.

chris

garys

#5 Post by garys » 10 Sep 2018 20:48

I got Unitrunker up and running. I can't use Version 2 because it requires a 64 bit version of Windows. As it happens my SDR computer is 32 bit. I downloaded and installed the highest version of Version 1, figured out how to get Airspy to wok, and got started listening to MSP Zone 5.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the UHF system isn't Motorola. Looking at the "control" channel on the Unitrunker scope, I think it might be LTR.

So, now I need to find a LTR decoding program. I see that Eric released one, so I'll give that a try.

garys

#7 Post by garys » 10 Sep 2018 23:26

Update: 461.5000 appears to be the National Grid LTR Passport system in Lincoln, RI. One mystery solved. Back to the other frequency.

This just gets more curious as I go along.

461.5125 has a constant control channel signal. It's not LRT, doesn't appear to be Motorola, and it's not digital. I'm lost as to what it is.

461.5000 has a LTR "beaconing" signal. LTR Analyze shows Outbound Status Word. The LCN for the frequency is 17. I'll have to do a search for licenses on that frequency.

LCN 8 is showing along with a couple of TG numbers.

Another mystery to work on. Well, two I guess.

ScanBoston

#8 Post by ScanBoston » 11 Sep 2018 06:59

Boston Properties has a repeater licensed on the Pru on 461.5000 at KNEZ657
Putman Investments in Andover WPRB594
Johnson Controls on the Mccormick Building WPTN261
Northeast Vocational School in Wakefield WQBB574
UMass Memorial in Wormtown WQBG206
Omni Parker House in Boston WQEY373
Boston Scientific in Norwell WQPF858
MERCER in Norwood WQRY602
Bayview Campground Bourne WQWJ305

cdgordon

#9 Post by cdgordon » 11 Sep 2018 08:45

The signal you mention may be MDT type traffic. I hear a bit of it out in the Hartford/Springfield area. Marcus Communications and perhaps PVTA employ it for various uses (MDT, fare collection, bus signs, etc).

If you want to try your hand with another program, try SDRTrunk. It is the only current program for Passport (which it does well). A bit of a learning curve and it is not well suited for trying to ID channels as you really need to know the system parameters prior to starting the setup.

chris

garys

#10 Post by garys » 11 Sep 2018 09:58

That or some other none voice data used by someone. I don't know that I'll ever figure it out, but just getting UniTrunker back on line and playing with LTR Analyzer make the time well spent.

It's a good reminder to me that all is not DMR and NXDN in the business radio world. :)
cdgordon wrote:
11 Sep 2018 08:45
The signal you mention may be MDT type traffic. I hear a bit of it out in the Hartford/Springfield area. Marcus Communications and perhaps PVTA employ it for various uses (MDT, fare collection, bus signs, etc).

If you want to try your hand with another program, try SDRTrunk. It is the only current program for Passport (which it does well). A bit of a learning curve and it is not well suited for trying to ID channels as you really need to know the system parameters prior to starting the setup.

chris

ScanBoston

#11 Post by ScanBoston » 11 Sep 2018 16:50

Those Taxi radio data systems sound pretty weird.