City of Lowell page updates

Use this forum to submit frequency and talkgroup data to Scan New England for inclusion in the Wiki and the SNE Logbook.
n1zyy

City of Lowell page updates

#1 Post by n1zyy » 25 Sep 2018 18:19

Howdy,

Looks like http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?t ... _of_Lowell hasn't received much love in the past few years. As my hometown, figured I'd share updates and reconfirm the old data that's still right.

Police
482.4125 ("PD-1") has been full-time P25 for several years, but the information otherwise is still correct. (It's called "Tac 1," not "PD-1" over the air.)

"PD-2" (aka "Tac 2") is correct as listed, but is full-time encrypted. High-priority calls (e.g., shootings, stabbings, etc.) are announced by sounding a tone on Tac-1 and telling units to switch to Tac-2 where the call is given out encrypted.

Tac 1 seems to be programmed to support encryption, but it is rarely used. Occasionally you'll get one officer (or worse, dispatcher!) who leaves their radio in secure mode on Tac-1 leaving you only hearing one side.

I rarely monitor BAPERN/NEMLEC so I can't reconfirm any of that.

Fire
154.205 PL 186.2 is still correct for Lowell Fire; reconfirmed.

I have heard 154.01 see use as the secondary channel, but not in a while so I'm not comfortable calling it a reconfirmation, though I suspect it's still correct.

i have never heard the Police-Fire crossband link active. I have, however, often heard PD ask the dispatcher to tell Fire where they are, or vice versa, which makes me doubt that this thing sees any use if it exists.

EMS

155.16, 453.6125, and 462.95 are all reconfirmed as still in use. 155.16 is licensed as a base station, but the UHF repeater is usually patched into it, blurring the distinction, except for the occasional simplex replies on 155.16.

Edit: I have never tried to identify the toneouts, but there are now several. Trinity serves Dracut and Chelmsford as well, and they seem to have distinct tones.

The LTR system on the wiki page does not exist. The LCN 01 frequency (452.2125) is not licensed to Trinity, and the LCN 05 frequency (453.6125) is their main repeater with PL 77.0 listed in the table above, so it's not just inactive; it's illogical.

Others

I don't normally listen to the other stuff in the list. I'll have to give it a listen to see what's still on the air in a later follow-up.

MASSBUSMARK shared Lowell High's frequency in viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40588 -- wonder if we should add that to this page as well?

n1zyy

Re: City of Lowell page updates

#2 Post by n1zyy » 25 Sep 2018 19:08

I'll do a later post batching up the other services with what I hear, but from a quick listen, the following are still active:

UML Transportation, 461.6875, D223 (as listed)
UML PD-1, 453.4000, NAC 769 (as listed)

The transportation frequency seems annoyingly active in my scanner. ;)

garys

#3 Post by garys » 26 Sep 2018 12:31

Thanks for the updates. I'll edit the Private Ambulance page to delete the mythical trunk system information.

I kind of laugh at the PD dispatching those call in encrypted mode. Those high priority calls are likely to get an EMS response, and depending on how their system is configured, a FD response as well.

Oh, well.

There is also 453.562500 licensed to Trinity in the FCC data base. The license grant was this past March, so I have no idea if it's active or not. Might be worth some listening.

n1zyy

#4 Post by n1zyy » 28 Sep 2018 15:31

garys wrote:
26 Sep 2018 12:31
Thanks for the updates. I'll edit the Private Ambulance page to delete the mythical trunk system information.
Thanks. It's also on the City of Lowell page. A lot of the confirmations there date to 2012 or so, which is why I figured I'd provide an update on what's still active.
I kind of laugh at the PD dispatching those call in encrypted mode. Those high priority calls are likely to get an EMS response, and depending on how their system is configured, a FD response as well.
Yes, it's often not hard to deduce what's going on. The frustrating ones are things like an armed robbery, where only the police respond. The best you can do then is try to deduce where they might be by which units are still talking on Tac-1, and reason that the call was probably not near them or they would have responded. I get the need for officer safety, but it often seems like it just serves to frustrate scanner listeners and nothing else.
There is also 453.562500 licensed to Trinity in the FCC data base. The license grant was this past March, so I have no idea if it's active or not. Might be worth some listening.
There's a theory that these might be vehicular repeaters, because they periodically seem to mirror the dispatch frequency but pretty weak. I need to spend more time monitoring.

garys

#5 Post by garys » 28 Sep 2018 17:27

Thanks. I didn't even know that there was a City of Lowell page. :o

I did the EMS updates for that page, and will wait to see what you come up with on the vehicle repeater frequency. If that's what it is.

n1zyy

#6 Post by n1zyy » 09 Oct 2018 22:06

Going through "City Services" and stuff, more findings:

Lowell Fire

I can now confirm 154.01, PL 186.2, is still used as Lowell Fire channel 2. It's a simplex frequency.

UMass Lowell Stuff
PD Channel 1, 453.4, NAC 769 is still correct. Haven't heard their channel 2 used yet but that doesn't mean it's dead.

461.6875, D223, is still used for the buses on campus, and is quite active.

(I have another post about 453.075. We show 141.3 there on the wiki for UMass Lowell EMS, but I programmed it without a PL. Got a bunch of hits, but haven't heard anything nearby yet. It'd be WQBK719 if it's still in use, which is licensed to LGH. But it's not implausible that UMass Lowell EMTs would operate under the auspices of LGH.)

I haven't heard UMass Lowell maintenance on 453.2375. The license would be WNZF592, which is kind of nutty. It also has the +5 MHz frequency, but both are licensed for 2 Watts MO operation only, no repeater. It's licensed for analog voice and P25, and is listed as a public safety frequency. The license also lists 10 units and 44 paging receivers, which seems bizarrely specific. (This actually almost sounds like how you'd license those safety call boxes.) I'm probably too far away to hear any activity if it's truly 2W simplex.

LRTA
This has recent reconfirmations on Slot 1, but not Slot 2, which is indeed still active (but not nearly as busy as slot 1.) TGs are as-described, matching the slot number.

Park Service

166.95, NAC 293, still active. This seems correct in being identified as simplex; some are very strong and some are too weak to decode. If this is patched with LPD, it is too weak to copy from my QTH a mile or so away. Units seem to identify with "Lima [number]" prefixes. Rangers do have the ability to come up on LPD's frequency, but I have not heard a patch between 166.95 and 482.4125. Unclear if they have dual-band radios now or if the patch is on-demand.

166.875, NAC 293, also still good. This does appear to be repeater as described; there's a hang time between transmissions. Traffic is informal in nature, referencing tours, etc. Slightly odd that the tour guides or whatnot get a repeater and the PD are running simplex.

Hospitals
LGH security, DCS 125, 464.7875, is still good. It doesn't see loads of activity but has a strong signal. All the traffic I've heard of thus far has been either units calling for a radio check (presumably a sign-on procedure) and "Base" calling "Security" and asking them to call various extensions on the phones.

Have not heard Saints yet. I got excited for what I thought was a hit on the Solomon Mental Health Center frequency, referencing fire alarms, but realized I was actually hearing Groton Fire (151.4 PL).

Trinity

I am increasingly convinced that the weird 451 MHz frequencies are indeed vehicular repeaters. I will continue monitoring, and hopefully listening while driving around town will help me confirm this for good. But they pop up with varying signal strengths, often not heard at all, and always mirror the dispatch frequency. I'm going to monitor some more and do a post later on trying to confirm.

Almost certainly dead:

- Lowell Cemetery, 464.3. It's always possible this is still in use, but the license (WNYD767) expired in 2002 and no one has ever confirmed usage. It's right down the street from me and hasn't come up in a week or so of having this in my scanner. (It's beside the point, but my understanding is that Lowell Cemetery is privately-run, so it's not really a 'City Service' either.) I ended up locking this out in my scanner because it has several distant users so it keeps popping up with noise. (There's a very weak DMR user, and also an ambulance service.)

- 484.45, Lowell Housing Authority. License (WPXA467) expired in 2013 and never had an ID on the wiki. It seems surprising that they wouldn't have a radio system, but I'm yet to hear them and the frequency has been expired for years.

Some of this data might be useful elsewhere, but my intent in providing it is to try to get some updates to http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?t ... _of_Lowell which is seriously outdated. Much of the info is still correct, but confirmations date back to 2012.