Uniden SDS100 Scanner

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!
jfr454

Uniden SDS100 Scanner

Post by jfr454 »

Yesterday Uniden announced the release of a new handheld scanner SDS100. The radio is a first to utilize SDR technology for better reception of digital signals. Link to the press release below.

https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-r ... ming-soon/
John
magellanous

Re: Uniden SDS100 Scanner

Post by magellanous »

Always a good idea to wait 6 months to 1 year on these things, especially with new features and design. The first year is basically the "public beta test."

Once all the initial issues (and there always are issues) get worked out , I'll probably pick one up.
------------------------------
Tim
K1TSL
Station Info: Uniden BR-330T, Uniden BCD436HP, PRO-18, Yeasu FT-890, Yeasu FT-857, Yeasu FRG-100
garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

It looks interesting, but I plan to stick with my x36HP scanners for now. Besides, there will be a few slightly used ones on the market once some people buy them and realize they are complex to program. ;)
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
Mark SNE Moderator

Post by Mark SNE Moderator »

What, exactly, do they mean by SDR?
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator
schwab

Post by schwab »

And they still want you to pay extra for DMR...
Jacob
KB1VLA
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

Mark SNE Moderator wrote: 21 Mar 2018 20:03 What, exactly, do they mean by SDR?
Software Defined Receiver or Radio. It's almost entirely run on Software, so there aren't many limitations on what it can do.

Check out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_radio
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
trp

Post by trp »

FYI some of the major scanner dealers are already listing/displaying the new Uniden SDS100 handheld scanner on their websites. Uniden has announced an MSRP of $699 but none of the dealers below have posted/announced any actual "street prices" as of yet. The unit is not yet type accepted by the FCC so none of the dealers are accepting any pre-orders at this time. Per Uniden the release will be sometime in the second quarter of 2018 (April-June). Zip Scanners has posted that it "Launches in June 2018!"

Here are the direct links to the new Uniden SDS100 at the following scanner dealers:

Universal Radio: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog ... /6100.html

Scanner Master: http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bea ... 501979.htm

Zip Scanners: https://www.zipscanners.com/uniden-sds1 ... anner.html
magellanous

Post by magellanous »

I've been happy with my 436 but do wish it did a little better on analog. My old BR330T beats it. One of the uniden reps on the RR site said analog would not be improved on the SDS100. So it really seems to be for the folks whose primary listening is digital in busy areas. I won't rush to ditch the 436 this year.
Tim
K1TSL
Station Info: Uniden BR-330T, Uniden BCD436HP, PRO-18, Yeasu FT-890, Yeasu FT-857, Yeasu FRG-100
garys

Post by garys »

There is only one Uniden representative on RR. His user name is UPMan. Anyone else who is saying anything is more or less guessing. Even the beta testers don't have all of the information and had to sign NDAs in order to be beta testers.

What do you mean by being better on analog? My 456HP does quite well on analog and digital. The BR330T was a nice radio, but it was very limited in it's features. The 436HP is worlds better.
magellanous wrote: 23 Mar 2018 12:09 I've been happy with my 436 but do wish it did a little better on analog. My old BR330T beats it. One of the uniden reps on the RR site said analog would not be improved on the SDS100. So it really seems to be for the folks whose primary listening is digital in busy areas. I won't rush to ditch the 436 this year.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
MrSvenSven

Post by MrSvenSven »

I have a BCD536HP and BCD996P2 side by side while mobile. I have noticed at times the BCD996P2 is receiving a transmission that the 536 does not. I have not done any real testing on it, just some unscientific observations.
jbella

Post by jbella »

My #36s I've found aren't great on simulcast.

UPMan is a good source of info, but the RR forums are such a cesspool of losers it's tough to struggle through the forums to glean any good info (unlike here).
trp

Post by trp »

As an addendum to my post #7 above, Bearcat Warehouse has also added the new Uniden SDS100 to their website but with no pricing as of yet. I also received an email yesterday (03-23-2018) from a customer service rep at Bearcat Warehouse stating that they are currently accepting pre-orders for the SDS100 if you want to get one from their very first shipment from Uniden that they are expecting "in late May." The thing is you have to supply them with your credit card information when you pre-order but you don't even know what the actual purchase price will be as of right now. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable at all doing that.

Here's the direct link to the Uniden SDS100 at Bearcat Warehouse where you can sign up for updates if you'd like: https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/home/sds-100
trp

Post by trp »

FYI if anyone is interested I just received an email today (04-11-2018) from Zip Scanners (https://www.zipscanners.com/) regarding the SDS100 which stated the following:

"As we get more info on the SDS100 we'll keep ya posted.
We will be taking pre orders but need to firm up pricing and ship date.
As soon as we know - you'll know."
magellanous

Post by magellanous »

Hi - In a side by side comparison using the same antenna, the BR330T will pick up airband and VHF transmissions that the 436 will either miss entirely or have issues holding on to regardless of squelch level. There has been a fair amount of feedback on RR that the 436 is not the best scanner in those bands but, as always, your milage will vary. It's not bad, I've just experienced better as have others. I should have specified this as opposed to throwing the "analog" blanket over it.

To your point, Upman did say the performance will be comparable in that area on the SDS100 and that it was not something they had enhanced. He was specifically asked that question regarding the perceived performance shortfalls of the 436s in that area shortly after the announcement which is what I was referring to. That's sufficient for the basis of my feedback since he is the only Uniden Rep.

Additionally, the beta test team seems to be ignoring analog testing on those bands entirely, instead opting for hours of digital trunking videos so I still can only go by Upman's answer. The SDS100 seems geared toward the digital segment of consumers which likely significantly outnumber the low band, analog listeners. I don't think there's much value for them in working on lower band performance.

Yes, I agree with your assessment of the 436. It is my favorite scanner to date but I do keep the 330T nearby for Air and VHF. I don't believe there is any scanner that does everything better than anything else. The 436 is a well rounded, feature packed scanner. It's the only one a travel with but it's not perfect; no scanner is.

garys wrote: 23 Mar 2018 14:55 There is only one Uniden representative on RR. His user name is UPMan. Anyone else who is saying anything is more or less guessing. Even the beta testers don't have all of the information and had to sign NDAs in order to be beta testers.

What do you mean by being better on analog? My 456HP does quite well on analog and digital. The BR330T was a nice radio, but it was very limited in it's features. The 436HP is worlds better.
magellanous wrote: 23 Mar 2018 12:09 I've been happy with my 436 but do wish it did a little better on analog. My old BR330T beats it. One of the uniden reps on the RR site said analog would not be improved on the SDS100. So it really seems to be for the folks whose primary listening is digital in busy areas. I won't rush to ditch the 436 this year.
Tim
K1TSL
K1IWN

Post by K1IWN »

I'm curious to see if anyone on this board who lives in New England can provide some feedback on radio performance.

It's well documented on RR of the all features, which is great. The early reviews on RR on performance appear promises delivered.

I'll likely get one eventually. I am holding off for now, thinking the base/mobile version will better suit my usage.

With the latest firmware upgrades to the 436 / 536 and more tinkering to come, I am good with what I have for now for my area. I may be missing a few things, but since my recent relocation and firmware upgrades, the two radios are much improved.
- Mike
Kennebunk, ME
436/536/HP2 www.pinetreeweather.com
garys

Post by garys »

The 330T was the one scanner that ever sold that I regret selling. That was such a great little radio. The only reason I sold it was that I wanted something with a few more features. I got a 346, which wasn't nearly as good. I wish I could get that 330T back. Oh well.

For now at least, the 436HP fills my needs for a handheld scanner. I'll likely get a SDS100 at some point in the future, but it's not that high on my list.

magellanous wrote: 06 Jun 2018 12:34 Hi - In a side by side comparison using the same antenna, the BR330T will pick up airband and VHF transmissions that the 436 will either miss entirely or have issues holding on to regardless of squelch level. There has been a fair amount of feedback on RR that the 436 is not the best scanner in those bands but, as always, your milage will vary. It's not bad, I've just experienced better as have others. I should have specified this as opposed to throwing the "analog" blanket over it.

To your point, Upman did say the performance will be comparable in that area on the SDS100 and that it was not something they had enhanced. He was specifically asked that question regarding the perceived performance shortfalls of the 436s in that area shortly after the announcement which is what I was referring to. That's sufficient for the basis of my feedback since he is the only Uniden Rep.

Additionally, the beta test team seems to be ignoring analog testing on those bands entirely, instead opting for hours of digital trunking videos so I still can only go by Upman's answer. The SDS100 seems geared toward the digital segment of consumers which likely significantly outnumber the low band, analog listeners. I don't think there's much value for them in working on lower band performance.

Yes, I agree with your assessment of the 436. It is my favorite scanner to date but I do keep the 330T nearby for Air and VHF. I don't believe there is any scanner that does everything better than anything else. The 436 is a well rounded, feature packed scanner. It's the only one a travel with but it's not perfect; no scanner is.

garys wrote: 23 Mar 2018 14:55 There is only one Uniden representative on RR. His user name is UPMan. Anyone else who is saying anything is more or less guessing. Even the beta testers don't have all of the information and had to sign NDAs in order to be beta testers.

garys

Post by garys »

I don't think that Uniden will come up with an external charger. They're likely to run up against that CA law about chargers. Which I don't understand. Without seeing what the battery pack looks like, it's not possible to say if some other form of charger will work.

It sounds like most other issues can be fixed with software updates.

The display is nice, but very busy. Extrapolating a bit, if they do release a mobile version, the simple display will be better for mobile use. That's if it's brighter than the 536HP display. That's the biggest weakness of the 536, it's hard to see in a vehicle if it's very bright out. Which is why I like Siren. I also wonder if they'll have a version of Siren for the mobile. That's if the release a mobile.

I do like that the same software can be used for the SDS and the x36HP.
K1IWN

Post by K1IWN »

Somewhere in the flood of posts on RR, I believe UpMan mentioned an external charger along with spare batteries will be available this summer. It may not be able to sold in California, but the rest of the 49 states shouldn't be penalized for that.

Thanks for the initial review, W1KNE, and garys for your observations. I am glad to hear the reception is much better. The screen is busy, no question. My only real concern is from folks talking about the heat generated off the unit, and how that affects performance and radio life in the long run.

I am waiting to see if a base/mobile unit comes along. It's been four years since the release of the 536, so I suspect there is one in the works.
- Mike
Kennebunk, ME
436/536/HP2 www.pinetreeweather.com
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

garys wrote: 07 Jun 2018 23:07 I don't think that Uniden will come up with an external charger. They're likely to run up against that CA law about chargers. Which I don't understand. Without seeing what the battery pack looks like, it's not possible to say if some other form of charger will work.

It sounds like most other issues can be fixed with software updates.

The display is nice, but very busy. Extrapolating a bit, if they do release a mobile version, the simple display will be better for mobile use. That's if it's brighter than the 536HP display. That's the biggest weakness of the 536, it's hard to see in a vehicle if it's very bright out. Which is why I like Siren. I also wonder if they'll have a version of Siren for the mobile. That's if the release a mobile.

I do like that the same software can be used for the SDS and the x36HP.
Gary,
I have a picture of the battery pack above. (3rd picture. Silver back).
That's the detailed display. There is a simple display setting which I haven't tried. I don't mind the busy display on the handheld, but I do agree the simpler display will be nice on the mobile. You can actually shut off individual fields, and move them all over on that display too. So if you want some less information, that's also a possibility. The display settings are wildly flexible.

I also agree that I hope it's an improvement on the mobile display over the 536. Because it's an SDR, I feel like the selectivity issues could be resolved in future software releases.
Mike Fitzpatrick
garys

Post by garys »

That's good. It also seems that the battery pack doesn't use that little cordless phone style connector like the 250/785/796 did. Those were frequent source of complaint. Was it those scanners or the series before that had an option for a free standing battery back? Maybe the 235/245, but I'm not sure.
K1IWN wrote: 08 Jun 2018 09:03 Somewhere in the flood of posts on RR, I believe UpMan mentioned an external charger along with spare batteries will be available this summer. It may not be able to sold in California, but the rest of the 49 states shouldn't be penalized for that.

Thanks for the initial review, W1KNE, and garys for your observations. I am glad to hear the reception is much better. The screen is busy, no question. My only real concern is from folks talking about the heat generated off the unit, and how that affects performance and radio life in the long run.

I am waiting to see if a base/mobile unit comes along. It's been four years since the release of the 536, so I suspect there is one in the works.
garys

Post by garys »

I like the simple display that you have in the other post. That would work very well for a mobile. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that suggested that it would be great if the display on the x36HP had the option to arrange the display and decide what you wanted to see or not see. They took that suggestion to heart, I see.

I'll have to switch modes on Sentinel and play around with that, just in case...

W1KNE wrote: 08 Jun 2018 17:19
Gary,
I have a picture of the battery pack above. (3rd picture. Silver back).
That's the detailed display. There is a simple display setting which I haven't tried. I don't mind the busy display on the handheld, but I do agree the simpler display will be nice on the mobile. You can actually shut off individual fields, and move them all over on that display too. So if you want some less information, that's also a possibility. The display settings are wildly flexible.

I also agree that I hope it's an improvement on the mobile display over the 536. Because it's an SDR, I feel like the selectivity issues could be resolved in future software releases.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

Update. Well I am having a real issue with UHF Images. It doesn't seem to handle UHF frequencies very selectively.

I posted a thread at RR about it, and others seem to be having the same issue.

Hopefully there is a firmware fix for it, or something the factory can do. These images are bad enough to be a deal breaker.

VHF and 800 don't seem as affected.
Mike Fitzpatrick
garys

Post by garys »

Around here, that's an absolute deal breaker. I expect they'll figure out what's going on pretty quickly.

Well, not before the first "Uniden has abandoned the SDS line!" thread ;)

W1KNE wrote: 09 Jun 2018 10:49 Update. Well I am having a real issue with UHF Images. It doesn't seem to handle UHF frequencies very selectively.

I posted a thread at RR about it, and others seem to be having the same issue.

Hopefully there is a firmware fix for it, or something the factory can do. These images are bad enough to be a deal breaker.

VHF and 800 don't seem as affected.
jbella

Post by jbella »

Keep the great info coming.

(I can't wade through all the garbage at RR to bother reading their self inflated threads)

I'm debating whether to pull the trigger sooner than later as I have a couple roads trips coming up. My main reason for getting one is because of simulcast. The #36's are (as everyone knows) f'n deaf, especially in places like 128 and sections of highway in C Troop.
garys

Post by garys »

I plan to hold off for a while. I don't have any simulcast problems around here and I also don't see any deafness on the 536 in my truck. At least none that the MSP doesn't also have with their cruisers. :)
jbella wrote: 11 Jun 2018 18:57 Keep the great info coming.

(I can't wade through all the garbage at RR to bother reading their self inflated threads)

I'm debating whether to pull the trigger sooner than later as I have a couple roads trips coming up. My main reason for getting one is because of simulcast. The #36's are (as everyone knows) f'n deaf, especially in places like 128 and sections of highway in C Troop.